IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora racing surface?
9/24/17, 10:47 AM   #1
Eldora racing surface?
chasinracin2

Didn't go to 4 Crown so what was up with the track? Was it just same old Eldora never any good?

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/24/17, 10:57 AM   #2
axman775

I'm not a track prep expert my any means, but a few factors played into a super slick and dusty track. First- it seems like the surface has changed from the "good o'le days" of Earl. Very powdery and not very clay based. Second- awful weather conditions to run 4 classes. When they started to wheel pack we knew it was going to be a dust bowl. I though when they scratched it up earlier in the night they should of put down a little water. While I'm a fan of an additional class, I hope it goes back to a USAC only Saturday show.

3 members like this post: bobO, Hotrod, tirespinner
9/24/17, 11:05 AM   #3
Re: Eldora racing surface?
BrentTFunk

A lot of times when Earl had it he never graded off the rubber, and that helped keep the dust down. I didn't think the dust was that bad, but I was in the pits until the Silver Crown race. The turns are not dished out like it used to be. I don't think the top is banked any different, but the bottom and middle are banked the same as the top.

4 members like this post: fish, Hotrod, midget39, Pat O'Connor Fan
9/24/17, 12:09 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Features were fine, There was no dirt left to throw.
Up to that point I see a complete total lack of respect for the fans and the racers. I guess track prep crew becomes the fireworks crew as soon as the first green flag waves as they couldn't even run some water down pit road or like Earl would do three our for times a event, run the firetruck and water the top to keep all the dust from blowing so bad you couldn't see. I seen a lot of consi's and features there that were dusty as hell. But I can't name a heat race in my 30 years going, that there were places on the track you couldn't see the dust was so bad. I seen at least a dozen fans wearing them little medical mask

I doubt Rico even seen the wall he was about to hit. I was sitting in one and I couldn't see him when he hit it. Then they qualify SC on a track with absolutely no grip

For a change I agreed with Ballou but they let him speek. Brady was a bit critical and they cut the mic on Tmez

Enough with the bad, I actually had a pretty good time. I had a perfect seat that was one of the few places not under roof not getting deluged with dust. The racing was pretty good and not blow outs when you could see it.

I seen a ton of people I had either never met or only see at the track. Had a great group sitting around me as the races were going on and as I said, the features were good and good viewing after it all got blown off.

The highlight of my day was going out to the VARC Vintage showing and seeing several of the cars I watched race as a kid, Like the Maude Smith sprinter and then I met the guy who restored the car I've heard talked about for the last ten years by Richard Hoffman. The 1971 #59 sprinter that they bolted a new front end on Talked with him for at least 45 minutes and a few of the Hoffman Crew actually came around and were pretty sure it was the exact car and Richard later confirmed it. It's a beauty. There is a actual sequential sequence photos of the wreck as it happened before they rebuilt the car. I can't remember his name right off hand but I think he said on IOW his name is RRC.

Congrats to the winners, Bayston, Leary, Bacon and Courtney. Sometime the race for the lead wasn't that great in the feature but it wasn't a blowout in any of em and there were certainly two, three four car battles for second and third all night.

Bacon is a Beast. 3rd, 2nd, 1st and 5th from 20th. Was glad to see DD, Steve and Carla Phillips have a good night. After telling everyone about Holly Shelton all night she wasn't doing so well in only her second time there (I think) then in the feature she drove the wheels off it gaining 8 spots for hard charger. WTG

Like I said, I had a pretty good night myself. But being honest. The track itself is every promoter's baby, Not the concessions, not the TV, Not the fireworks. You have to take care of your baby (Slack left his baby sit in a hot car and die). It's the reason fans and racers come in the first place. They should be able to see it at all times. Would you go to a NFL game if you couldn't see what was on the field? Sure, different conditions but still people come to *SEE* it.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/24/17 at 12:10 PM.

9/24/17, 12:46 PM   #5
racefan20

The definition of insane is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result........but I sure do miss the maid rites on the way.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

9/24/17, 12:50 PM   #6
i love dirt track racing

Tony Stewart has done a lot of great things that we all love from racing teams and racing family's. But I think that the racing track changes at Eldora was made to get the nascrap truck racing events there and have never been the same again. Its only my opinion but it's time to do something different not only for the great racing fans but the racing teams and the house that earl built. Thanks.
Last edited by i love dirt track racing; 9/24/17 at 12:52 PM.

9/24/17, 1:15 PM   #7
quicktime3

I've gone to Eldora for a long time and seen the majority of 4-Crown weekends. And I also remember a lot of dust and quite a few times it took rubber. It's always been that way, except now there's a little more bank on the bottom, so guys can run lower. I wish it would have started a little better, and 3-4 needed some love. But 1-2 looked like what you'd want at Eldora.

2 members like this post: fish, tirespinner
9/24/17, 3:19 PM   #8
BrentTFunk

I have only been going there since 1982. Used to watch a lot of wing races back in the 80's there. I have only seen the track heavy one time. It was the time Ballou won and everyone on this board was complaining about it. Friday night people were saying that Bloomington was too wet to pass on. I thought it was a typical track for any track I have ever seen in Ohio. Charles it was nice to see you, but we used to laugh when the track was so dusty you couldn't see, and Earl would water the pit lane. I saw worst tracks this year.

4 members like this post: fish, flagboy55, jim goerge, tirespinner
9/24/17, 4:03 PM   #9
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Been going since 87, Watched dozens of races from the infield and even if it was dusty, it was good viewing in there. The dust goes outward. We were sitting in one and it was a solid wall of dust not just every time the cars entered one, but from the blow out from the push off lane too.. Like I said, I think Rico was totally blind going in when he hit. The fans sitting in turn one were watching the TV to see what was happening right in front of them. Enough of that though. Nobody expected anything but a burnt up track by feature time and it was blown off and good viewing for the features.

But i think starting at advertised time and taking a couple 20 minute light water and packs would have made the viewing better, the racing safer and we'd of ended at the same time.

My view isn't the only one that matters. I said my piece and I also said I overall had a good time.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/24/17 at 4:04 PM.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55
9/24/17, 4:12 PM   #10
bmemmer

Charles you obviously didn't check the weather. The wind was out of the northeast. Worst seat to have was in turn one. Was it dusty? Sure it was but to say it was so dusty you couldn't see is a bit of a over statement. I sat in middle of 3 and 4 and saw every car on every lap. Did I want to see a track like I did on Friday? Yep sure did. Did the racing suck? Nope not really. Plenty of passes made. Could it been better? Yea it could of been better but don't sit here and tell me you couldn't see and the racing sucks when you swear every post your not going back blah blah blah blah blah

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora racing surface?