IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Racing returns to Magic Mile
8/27/14, 11:09 AM   #21
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

The sound of my ex wife hanging up is pretty awesome

8/27/14, 11:42 AM   #22
Re: Racing returns to Magic Mile
DiehardRaceFan

Race Count Last Year: 72

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiahKcYTflgWonder what it looks like to wheel an ARCA 3,400 lb stock car on dirt? Check it out from Will Kimmel's eyes from back in 2010

1 member likes this post: racing2bwithu2
8/27/14, 12:02 PM   #23
DiehardRaceFan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVJrBFKxugQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVJrBFKxugQ 2011 Bill Oldani Memorial UMP Modified Feature at the DuQuoin State Fair thanks to Ross Wece. Tony Stewart would put on a driving SHOW for the fans on this day.

8/27/14, 7:14 PM   #24
DiehardRaceFan

LEVI JONES RETURNS FOR SUNDAY’S “TED HORN 100”

One of USAC’s most proficient drivers, Levi Jones, will return to the cockpit Sunday night in the “Ted Horn 100” USAC Silver Crown race at the beautiful DuQuoin (Ill.) State Fairgrounds.

The one-mile oval sits just an hour southeast of Jones’ present residence of Swansea, Ill. and about thesame distance southwest of his hometown of Olney, Ill. and his appearance will end his USAC hiatus, which began just over a year ago. Last year he recorded his third career Silver Crown victory in the prestigious Hoosier Hundred” in Indianapolis, Ind. and he has 28 career Sprint wins and four in the Midgets.

Jones will pilot the famed #56 entry for long-time car owner Galen Fox, the 1994 DuQuoin winner with Chuck Gurney driving. Fox also entered the recent Springfield race with driver Jon Stanbrough.

The 2010 and 2011 USAC Silver Crown Champion and five-time USAC National Sprint Car Champion looks forward to Sunday’s race: “It’s a race I’d like to win, for sure,” says Levi. “Not having competed full-time in a year or so, I feel like the miles (DuQuoin and Springfield) are ones where you can race and have some fun and I didn’t want to pass up the opportunity to drive for Galen. “He’s definitely got a car that can win the race. DuQuoin has special meaning for me, so close to my home. We used to go to the races every year and I’ve been going there for more than 20 years now.”

Jones’ last USAC appearance came in last year’s “Eastern Storm” Sprint races in Pennsylvania and New Jersey where he recorded three “top-10s.”

He’ll face a formidable field of USAC Champions and Illinois veterans. They include USAC driving champions Bobby East, Tracy Hines, Dave Darland, Chris Windom, Russ Gamester, Kody Swanson, Robbie Ray, Jerry Coons Jr. and Caleb Armstrong, plus Illinois vets (Windom included) Patrick Lawson, A.J. Fike, Zach Daum, Steven Russell, Randy Bateman, Shane Cockrum and Chris Urish.

Urish shocked the series regulars with his “Ted Horn 100” victory a year ago, while Fike also has a couple of recent victories in the “Tony Bettenhausen 100” at the Illinois State Fairgrounds which returns to Springfield next week (September 7).

Practice at DuQuoin begins at 5 pm, followed by qualifications and the 100-mile “Ted Horn 100.”

2 members like this post: FishBurger, racing2bwithu2
8/28/14, 11:42 AM   #25
DiehardRaceFan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv2lU19K4DM
8mm Footage of DuQuoin from 1960

1 member likes this post: racing2bwithu2
8/28/14, 12:20 PM   #26
Danny Burton

God bless Marty Robbins. Thanks for sharing, sir.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

8/28/14, 12:42 PM   #27
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burton View Post
God bless Marty Robbins. Thanks for sharing, sir.
He was, and still is one of my favorite singers! Got to see him race several times and got his autograph at the 1974 Firecracker 400, in which he finished eighth. I remember seeing Marty at DuQuoin in the preliminaries before one of the races. Don't believe he had been scheduled to appear, but due to his racing interest he showed up and the announcer interviewed him. Marty left us all too soon on Dec. 8, 1982 at the age of 57.
In an interesting sidenote, Ray Evernham found one of the cars that Marty raced at the Nashville Fairgrounds in a barn in Franklin, TN and restored it in an episode of "Americarna". Martys' son, Ronnie, drove the finished product around the track at Nashville, and the car was on display in downtown Nashville. Marty always painted his cars purple and yellow, and he favored Mopars on the short track, but I saw him race just before he died in an ex Junior Johnson prepared Buick that had been raced by Darrel Waltrip.

2 members like this post: bigq11, mowerman
8/28/14, 1:59 PM   #28
ThePurple73

I saw a tuba player there infront of the crowd, possibly a little pre-race polka music.

1 member likes this post: ronmil
8/28/14, 2:10 PM   #29
DiehardRaceFan

No problem. Always love sharing things of nostalgia like that. That was a good double. Would LOVE to stumble on some video of the Big Cars from that era.

8/28/14, 6:01 PM   #30
DiehardRaceFan

Ted Horn 100 USAC Silver Crown Series event flier.

1 member likes this post: SC90
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Racing returns to Magic Mile