IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Racing returns to Magic Mile
8/22/14, 8:08 PM   #1
Racing returns to Magic Mile
DiehardRaceFan

Race Count Last Year: 72

Auto racing returns to Magic Mile in DuQuoin for USAC-ARCA doubleheader on Aug. 31, Sept. 1

DUQUOIN, Ill. – A race car driver still building his reputation and another driver who is a household name among race fans are the defending champions as exciting auto racing returns to the DuQuoin State Fairgrounds with a pair of 100-mile races on Sunday, Aug. 31 and Monday, Sept. 1, the final two days of the DuQuoin State Fair. Chris Urish, of Elkhart, Ill., was the winner of the unpredictable Ted Horn 100 for USAC Silver Crown cars that races again Aug. 31 before NASCAR star Ken Schrader chases another victory on the legendary DuQuoin Mile in the Southern Illinois 100 as ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards hits the dirt with the stock cars for only the second time all season on Sept. 1. The traditional racing program provides a great contrast for race fans who can watch both open-wheel racing and full body stock cars.“We always look forward to bringing the excitement of big-time auto racing to the DuQuoin State Fair,’’ said veteran race promoter Bob Sargent, who also holds USAC and ARCA races at the Illinois State Fair and Indiana State Fairgrounds. “A fairgrounds track brings racing back to its roots. The USAC Silver Crown cars and ARCA stock cars have always brought the crowd to the edge of its seat.’’Urish scored the biggest win of his career last season in the Ted Horn 100. Urish won when misfortune caused the leaders to drop out. He was running third with four laps left, then inherited the lead after Chris Windom and Shane (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)rum ran out of fuel. Series director Andy Hillenburg has been building the car count, and a field of close to 30 cars is expected for this year’s race as he continues to build the series with more quality machinery and talented drivers.Schrader is a three-time Southern Illinois 100 winner who took the checkered flag last season in his Federated Auto Parts Chevrolet. He also won the race in 2006 and 2007. The racing veteran also has an ARCA win at the Illinois State Fairgrounds mile dirt track. Schrader took the victory last year after passing Tom Hessert just before a late caution flag. Schrader then held off Hessert the final two laps. Earlier this month, Kevin Swindell drove the Venturini Motorsports Zaxby Toyota to victory in the Central Illinois SuperChevyStores.com 100 at the Springfield Mile.On Aug. 31, the UMP modifieds hold heat races to qualify for the Bill Oldani Memorial on Monday.Tickets are on sale at the Du Quoin State Fair ticket office (618-542-1535) and Track Enterprises (217-764-3200). For each event, advance tickets are $25 for adults and $10 for children 11 and under. Tickets sold on day of the race are $30 for adults and $10 for children 11 and under. Pit passes are sold race day only for $35. A two-day pass is $40.

1 member likes this post: racing2bwithu2
8/22/14, 8:08 PM   #2
DiehardRaceFan

Will post weekend flier later tonight.

8/23/14, 12:06 AM   #3
Re: Racing returns to Magic Mile
ISF

Headin' out Tuesday morning bright and early with the camper to make the 6 hour trip to Southern Illinois and the Du Quoin State Fair. Gonna' take in the Jason Leffler Memorial midget race Tuesday night and then see what kind of mischief we can create on Rend Lake Wednesday through Sunday afternoon at which time we'll switch back to Magic Mile racing mode 'till Monday evening.

The Du Quoin State Fair racing weekend is the most anticipated racing trip we do all year!! Lets fill the place up with both cars and spectators!!

Can't hardly wait!!

8/23/14, 12:45 AM   #4
racephoto1

The Magic Mile, if you can only see one Champ Dirt Car race this is it.

IMG_5979 copy par Chris Pedersen, on ipernity
Last year's winner Chris Urish

To watch these cars run against the outside wall wide open , under the lights is as good as it gets on a dirt mile.

4 members like this post: billwill7, dirt_trackgurl006, hhiester, racing2bwithu2
8/23/14, 10:57 AM   #5
DiehardRaceFan

Here is the event flier for both days at DuQuoin.

3 members like this post: dirt_trackgurl006, racenut69, racing2bwithu2
8/23/14, 11:23 AM   #6
Racing returns to Magic Mile
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Cant wait! We will be there both days!! 2 days of fair food....I mean, racing. 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 members like this post: dirt_trackgurl006, racing2bwithu2
8/23/14, 12:01 PM   #7
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

We r still recovering from the fried EVERYTHING from Springfield ! It was AMAZING! Chocolate covered bacon ..... Not so much . And if Tom Thumb donuts were crack ..... Color me a "crackhead"!

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
8/23/14, 1:37 PM   #8
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Will be there Sunday night for my 50th consecutive year!

8/23/14, 2:15 PM   #9
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

Wow !!! VIP TREATMENT !! This will b my 1st. If I start now ill b 97 when I see my 50 th

4 members like this post: ISF, luckybuc97, racenut69, ronmil
8/23/14, 2:57 PM   #10
ISF

This will be 20 Horn Memorials in a row for us. I can't believe it's that many.

It seems only a couple years ago that we were making our first 6 hour trip to Southern Illinois and scrounging for a camping spot at the Fairgrounds campground in the middle of the night due to my wife's work schedules.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Kansasdirtfan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Racing returns to Magic Mile