IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > SHADYHILL. Badger Midgets, UMP Mods, & Bombers - 9/18 - INFO
9/19/21, 6:18 PM   #21
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
I don't use GPS or phone maps. Hell, my speedometer doesn't even work. I use the tach. I do it the old way - look at a map, remember a road or two, then hit it.

I could not FIND the damn place! I knew it was NE of Medaryville proper, but holy crap, there was nothing but tall cornfields.
Well we DID use GPS and we wondered several times if we weren’t about to end up in a cornfield. Lots of county roads, but it is where Google Maps says it is. If you’ve got a big hauler and coming from the west, I suggest you take the time to enter from the southern route. You’re gonna do less tree trimming.

Glad the track looked smooth. In a midget, it was not. My son/driver said it was the “roughest track I’ve been on, and I’ve raced I-44 (in Oklahoma City).” But that’s part of the deal, coping with track conditions. The track didn’t cause any of the accidents, and that’s all you can ask for, so I say “Good Job” to the track prep crew.

I love tracks like Shadyhill that have some history and character. The triple beam balance scale for weighing the cars, the grandstands carved into the hillside, the pit gate sign, loved it! And it has enough “modern” amenities that you can’t really complain. Big USAC haulers? They might not agree with me, but I liked it. We run at Sycamore Speedway (IL) and it reminds me of it (except for the part where Sycamore is situated on a HIGHWAY!)

Best news is, it will be a few more years before Shadyhill has to worry about urban development encroaching in it. Enjoy what you’ve got people! 4 1/2 Stars, would definitely recommend to a friend.

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, Hustlin-Hoosier, PJ Wright
9/19/21, 7:34 PM   #22
Re: SHADYHILL. Badger Midgets, UMP Mods, & Bombers - 9/18 -
hoosier race fan

I enjoyed my visits to Shadyhill when I lived in Lafayette. I took the scenic route once but always preferred to take IN 39 to the county road the track is on. There’s a sign on the highway for Shadyhill Speedway with an arrow that points back to the west, so it’s not too hard to find if you come that way. They don’t run many races with touring series, and I’ve noticed that they seem to get the same crowd for regular shows as what they get for specials. Their weekly events have a good following. It reminds me a little of Oakshade. Middle of nowhere, good weekly following, lots of budget racers, not the most updated facility, track surface gets a bit of criticism, good concessions, and not many specials with touring classes.

4 members like this post: EBookerFan, Hustlin-Hoosier, nathans1012, PJ Wright
9/20/21, 11:41 AM   #23
LJC77

It was definitely enjoyable to have a race close to home and as I told the club at the driver's meeting last week track was located in BFE. Don't be afraid to take a dirt road or 2.

Conditions were exactly what the regulars said they'd be. Dry, slick, dusty, smooth,no cushion to lay on,and did not take rubber. Only rough area was at the very bottom where they pulled the tires in and the taxi cabs typically do not run.

Appreciate Billy taking the chance bringing in an open wheel show, giving his audience a completely different type of racing than they're used to.
3 wide racing with no fender rubbing.

Yes 18 cars was not Badger's best showing with the club averaging 25-30 at most of thier races this year.
But with the top 3 locked in in points and a handful of cars hurt still think 18 was respectable for thier last points race of the season.

It's my understanding that the club would like to return next season and try for earlier in the year. Did talk to a few regulars who enjoyed the show and said the midgets were a bit faster than they expected.

5 members like this post: EBookerFan, Hustlin-Hoosier, jdull99, nathans1012, Pitdad
9/20/21, 1:00 PM   #24
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC77 View Post
It was definitely enjoyable to have a race close to home and as I told the club at the driver's meeting last week track was located in BFE. Don't be afraid to take a dirt road or 2.

Conditions were exactly what the regulars said they'd be. Dry, slick, dusty, smooth,no cushion to lay on,and did not take rubber. Only rough area was at the very bottom where they pulled the tires in and the taxi cabs typically do not run.

Appreciate Billy taking the chance bringing in an open wheel show, giving his audience a completely different type of racing than they're used to.
3 wide racing with no fender rubbing.

Yes 18 cars was not Badger's best showing with the club averaging 25-30 at most of thier races this year.
But with the top 3 locked in in points and a handful of cars hurt still think 18 was respectable for thier last points race of the season.

It's my understanding that the club would like to return next season and try for earlier in the year. Did talk to a few regulars who enjoyed the show and said the midgets were a bit faster than they expected.
Where you run, smooth.

Where we run, rough, just as you described!🤠

Wish your night had gone better. I know you had that one circled on the schedule. You had a great year, albeit expensive, kinda like us. Already looking forward to next year!

4 members like this post: EBookerFan, Hustlin-Hoosier, jdull99, nathans1012
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > SHADYHILL. Badger Midgets, UMP Mods, & Bombers - 9/18 - INFO