IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New track at Edgewater problem
11/10/17, 2:08 PM   #1
New track at Edgewater problem
Longtime sprinter

It appears the new track at Edgewater already has problems. The Miami Twsp, where it is located, passed a resolution to limit noise from race tracks to 70 dbs after 11:00 pm. There is a group going to the next mtg. I guess to try to get them to change it, but as of now, 70 dbs. Is not going to allow much h.p. Can you say curfew.

11/10/17, 2:53 PM   #2
Re: New track at Edgewater problem
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtime sprinter View Post
It appears the new track at Edgewater already has problems. The Miami Twsp, where it is located, passed a resolution to limit noise from race tracks to 70 dbs after 11:00 pm. There is a group going to the next mtg. I guess to try to get them to change it, but as of now, 70 dbs. Is not going to allow much h.p. Can you say curfew.
This might not seem as bad as it first reads. It might prompt management to run an efficient program without a lot of wasted down time and needless extra classes to finish their program before 11 PM. Starting at 7 to 7:30 and running maybe three divisions they should be able to complete a show before 11 PM.

Bruce Eckel

11/10/17, 3:15 PM   #3
BrentTFunk

It makes me more interested in going there.

11/10/17, 3:27 PM   #4
TommyTipover

So what is the "problem" with that?

11/10/17, 3:47 PM   #5
BrentTFunk

They just bought lights, so I don't think they are too worried.

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, Kydehart
11/10/17, 6:15 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

70db where? outside the property? Most tracks run a muffler of 100db at 100 yards away from the car. To be quite honest, I've heard muffler test on a sprint car that had them quieter than a street car (Not that I want to watch that quiet of racing).

Edgewater lies in the Great Miami River valley. I used to live 8 miles north and it was quite common to hear the dragsters. If they had jet cars it rattled the windows of the house. I remember one night the BEACH BOYS played in the late 70s early 80s and a South to North Wind was blowing, I heard most of the concert 8 miles away at my house sitting on the front porch.

I don't see this hurting too much, A lot goes into how long a show runs, A good track that a lot of spins don't happen, Good wrecker crew, keeping a extra ambulance at the track and most nights 11pm wouldn't be a problem.

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, racenut69
11/10/17, 9:39 PM   #7
Blacki-Suede

Back in the day Lawrenceburg Speedway had an 11:30 curfew. There were very few times that was a problem. We did fire off a 4th of July fireworks show after 11:30 once. Caught hell, but contract said “no racing events after 11:30”

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jim goerge, the1jet17
11/10/17, 9:40 PM   #8
lazyifoto

Don't most tracks operate on a curfew anymore ? And Edgewater should be grandfathered anyways considering they have run all these years with no curfew.....

11/10/17, 11:56 PM   #9
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacki-Suede View Post
Back in the day Lawrenceburg Speedway had an 11:30 curfew. There were very few times that was a problem. We did fire off a 4th of July fireworks show after 11:30 once. Caught hell, but contract said “no racing events after 11:30”
Still does to the best of my knowledge with increasing fines per half hour after. Long as the last race fires before 1130 they can finish it.

Had a big problem in the late 80s Mel would get the track so wet we didn't race till 9-930 sometimes and several features had a recurring make up dates. But the racing was spectacular when it happened. If it so much as drizzled on race day. He'd call it.

11/11/17, 9:25 AM   #10
DWX 9929

Everyone's talking about the curfew but missing the main problem. All this is being done without permits. Been told a multitude of governmental agencies are involved from the Health Department to the Army Corps of Engineers. Stop orders have been issued but work continues. Main issue is filling of the flood plain. Good chance he may have to remove the dirt. As far as grandfather clause, I think that would apply to the drag strip but not a new facility.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New track at Edgewater problem