IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wingless URC Sprints at Path Valley
5/22/17, 11:18 AM   #1
Wingless URC Sprints at Path Valley
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I could not make the show, but 25 wingless sprints is a big jump over what they had a few weeks ago at Big Diamond.

Sunday May 21st results.

URC Feature Finish: 1. 19 Steven Drevicki, 2. 5G Curt Michael, 3. 9D Kevin Darling, 4. 14 Eric Jennings, 5. 8 Kyle Lick, 6. B1 Joey Biasi, 7. 1Q Thomas Radivoy, 8. 83 Larry McVey, 9. 21 Carmen Perigo, 10. 86 Rick Holley, 11. 33B Bill Unglert, 12. 15 Mark Bitner, 13. 59 Steve Wilber, 14. 71X Chris Allen Sr., 15. 78 Dale Schweikart, 16. 7. Trey Hivner, 17. 119 Chandler Leiby, 18. 4B Bobby Butler, 19. 131 Bobby Sandt Jr., 20. 71 Chris Allen, 21. 78s Dakota Schweikart, 22. 4 Jimmy Stitzel, 23. 17J Jonathan Swanson, 24. 11s Terry Schaeffer

DNQ: Michael Hammer

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, TNRustler, WinglessLovers
5/22/17, 12:31 PM   #2
Re: Wingless URC Sprints at Path Valley
yeleyfan76

I did make the trip. They started early in order to beat the rain. (smart move) Curt Michael asked for the track to be hard slick to keep speeds down. ( bad move). Track was concrete and heat racing was poor as no one could pass with no traction. 600 winged micros were faster too. Fortunately the track owner tryed to blade the track a little. It was so hard the blade chattered on top and was smoking from the heat. He then put some water down. While this was going on Michael explained how half the guys could run wingless and the others don't know what they are doing him included. Kudos to track prep as the first 25 laps went caution free. The last 10 were so so as the track was gone. Glad I went to support this series. Now they need to let guys that can run non wing cars make track prep decisions and have Curt Michael and the others learn how to drive them. Two races and twice they showed a lot of promise. Congrats to Steve Dreveki on the win.

2 members like this post: davidm, oppweld
5/22/17, 1:16 PM   #3
jonboat15

I wasn't at Path Valley but its nice to see more non winged racing in PA. Hopefully some of the URC drivers will be available to race when USAC comes in for the Eastern Storm. Track prep is to big of a can of worms for me touch.lol.

5/22/17, 1:17 PM   #4
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Thanks for the info yeleyfan76! How was the fan turn out?

5/22/17, 1:34 PM   #5
ChanceDHolley

Race Count This Year: 31
Race Count Last Year: 35

Fan turnout to be honest was pretty low. I blame a combination of Sunday racing/sketchy weather/ARDC at Susquehanna/fan burnout from WoO PA swing, but who knows. Big Diamond was packed and from what I've heard the Eastern Storm events are well attended so I refuse to believe there isn't demand for traditional sprint racing in the area.

edit- I'll throw in the PA turnpike as a possible contributing factor as well. We spent more on tolls ($30.25 each way, and that's with our wedgebed hauler that only has two axles) than we did on pit passes.

Also, the track was much better in the feature than it had any right to be judging off the heats. There was actually quite a bit of 2 and 3 wide racing going on in the feature.
Last edited by ChanceDHolley; 5/22/17 at 1:43 PM.

1 member likes this post: davidm
5/22/17, 3:04 PM   #6
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

I went out from Lansdale, PA (North of Philadelphia) to Reading, PA to pick a buddy and we went to support the non-wing deal that Curt Michael and URC are trying to put together. The threat of rain, Sunday night and people needing to go to work and or school on Monday had a great impact on attendance in my opinion. I also agree that there was race "fatigue" from all of the events with WoO and ARDC in the area
this past week. Yeleyfan 76 was correct about the track, I never saw a grader's blade actually smoke due to friction on how hard the track was. We sat up in turn four where they put down a white paint line on the track to indicate where the starts were to be, and they never had to put another one down for the three sprint heats, three 600 micro heats and a b-main in each division, that is how hard the track was. Reworking the track did take time, but it was well worth it, the feature was much better than the heats. We will continue to support the non-wing racing as best we can. To ChanceD.Holley, I have learned to only us the PA Turnpike when there are no other options. Way to expensive. As I have said before non-wing is more my preference over wing racing, but we did attend the WoO show at Lincoln and like wing racing on the smaller tracks over the bigger ones. All in all, was not the best show, not the worst show, I never saw a bad race, just some are better than others. I hope the non-wing racing will be successful here in the East and will continue to support it as best I can

3 members like this post: ChanceDHolley, davidm, oppweld
5/22/17, 3:34 PM   #7
jonboat15

Path Valley is one of the few small tracks that we have in south central PA and I like the place, its not fancy but its pretty racey. Sunday night is a tough time for tracks, they need to finish the programs early. I've been to path Valley a few times and its always been a late night. I also have to use the PA turnpike for the quickest trip home, all I can say is that the turnpike is a rip off but sometimes a must. I appreciate Path Valley for running wingless events and hope to make it back up there this year.
Is Curt Michael a spokesperson for the URC? Glad to see the club have some wingless racing, hopefully it will catch on here.

2 members like this post: ChanceDHolley, davidm
5/22/17, 3:47 PM   #8
ChanceDHolley

Race Count This Year: 31
Race Count Last Year: 35

How steep are the hills on 30 and 22 from east of Pittsburgh to I99? We don't mind the extra time, we're just concerned about excessive strain on the truck.

I believe the URC is run by the members who vote and an elected board and that Curt Michaels holds the title of Vice President.

The show was ran quite efficiently, I forgot to mention that. Even with the reworking of the track we were on the road around 8.
Last edited by ChanceDHolley; 5/22/17 at 3:50 PM.

5/22/17, 4:03 PM   #9
jonboat15

The hills on Rt30 are steep and twisty, but nice viewing. Rt22 isn't as challenging as Rt 30. When I go to Path Valley I like to go up over the mountains and enjoy the view and the drive but on the way home the turnpike is the quickest way home. Glad to hear about the efficient running of the show, thats the kind of news that will get me back to that track this year.

1 member likes this post: ChanceDHolley
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wingless URC Sprints at Path Valley