IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How was your 2016 Race Season?
12/30/16, 1:36 PM   #1
How was your 2016 Race Season?
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

With the end of 2016 fast approaching, how was your 2016 race season?

I was able to get to 22 races this year, visiting 7 different tracks in just two states. I didn't get to travel any out of the area this year. I REALLY miss getting out to Indiana!

Two of the high lights for me this year was getting to see the Silver Crown series back at Williams Grove and getting back to Jennerstown for the ISMA Supers. We came close to losing Jennerstown so it's good to see it coming back strong!

So how was your 2016?

12/30/16, 2:32 PM   #2
Re: How was your 2016 Race Season?
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Down in both spectating and participation; 18 total dates at 8 different tracks in just 2 states myself, vs. averaging 24-25 a year, and only got the car out 4 times vs. averaging around 10 races the past 2 years, and finished one 'A' Main, due to various gremlins and mishaps.
I did, however, manage to visit 4 new tracks; Farmer City, Spoon River and Wayne County in Illinois and Daugherty in Indiana, which brings my lifetime total up to 91 race tracks, almost exactly half since moving out here from California 7 years ago.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 12/30/16 at 2:37 PM.

12/30/16, 4:50 PM   #3
dirt330

Enjoyed 2016 season , only drawback not enough races attended. Was great meeting Brandon Mattox during sprint week, a true gentleman. Highlights for year, attending ALL of Indiana Sprint week for the first time, a must in years to come, and the 100th. running my 57th. straight Indy 500. What a year, meeting and seeing old and new IOW fans. Thanks for the memories.

12/30/16, 6:01 PM   #4
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

A good racing year. 36 total, mostly taxi cab races though. Hoping I can get to more dirt races in 2017. However my prelim. schedule has a lot of asphalt on it.

12/30/16, 6:19 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Considering 2015 was the worst races attended year in about 30 plus years. with only 8 attended. and only 14 om 2014

2016 was pretty darn good.
Know I made 13 races at Burg only one non sprint Merrill Downey. All with my Uncle in attendance.
Made several BOSS sprint shows including two at Burg, Millstream, Limaland, Waynesfield, Atomic, Pprtsmouth and Eldora. I visited Millstream and Waynesfield twice during the year.

USAC. Made Montpillier midget week, All three at Burg, BC Night at Kokomo, Four Crown. LPS and Bloomington Sprintweeks. PPV'd Arizona, Perris, Turkey Night and DuQuoin.

1 LM race Fall 50s at Florence.

29 attended 9 PPVs
Better than I had thought I'd done. I don't see making that amount in 2017 season, But will make a fair share
Probably make a Little 500 apearance and want to hit Terre Haute a couple times as I've not been in three years
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 12/30/16 at 6:21 PM.

12/30/16, 6:27 PM   #6
hoscalecody

Decent year for us with just a 750cc racing against 1000cc and 2.4l engines and just 3 races and a test session on the season each night was a different track and I got to go down to South Carolina for a race, for the first night out we went to US 24 Speedway we got 2nd out of 5 for both heat and main and had the smallest engine and we was battling with track owners son! 2nd night we went down to South Carolina at Sumter Speedway we did ok in the heat and then before the A main I started getting sick and couldn't even stand without falling and even with people telling me to get in the car just to run a lap or to i refused that's overly to dangerous to do especially when I can barely stand or walk. Then the 3rd night was a test session at Hilltop Speedway to see how our cars would do on a track that they haven't ran with them and as of what a few people said is I was fastest car out of our class which was 3-4. Then comes the last night of the season, we went to our local track we haven't ran since 2014 and last time we ran there we got put into the wall on the start of the heat! Still with a 750cc (smallest engine there) and not that great of gear ratio we did decent in heat they was taking top 4 to A and I started 6th got up to 4th was trying to pass for 3rd to secure a spot in the A and made a few driving errors and lost 4th ended up finishing 5th which would start us 3rd in the B main. The second I get on track for the B Main the car dies and won't re-fire so I got to watch the B main from the infield. Found out our injectors and fuel pump went bad in staging for the B main. So a decent year for only 3 races with a 750cc engine and a non mainstream chassis.

5 members like this post: davidm, FishBurger, flagboy55, jjones752, Stevensville Mike
12/30/16, 6:59 PM   #7
revjimk

I'll have to check the notebook I keep for all the details when I get back home from vacation (Lafayette, Louisiana.... dancing with lots of great women!)
But some highlites were my first 4 Crown, watching Lance DeWease beat the Outlaws at Williams Grove, 2 Indiana Midget week races & a really pleasant surprise, my 1st POWRi race at Belle Clair in Illinois
New tracks: Putnamville (Lincoln Speedway), Bloomington, Belle Clair, Lebanon Valley in upstate NY (pretty drive from Connecticut) & I can't recall the name of the track south of St. Louis in Missouri (Saint somebody County, maybe?)
Also got to meet BrentTFunk & the notorious Kevin Eckert!

12/30/16, 7:01 PM   #8
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
I'll have to check the notebook I keep for all the details when I get back home from vacation (Lafayette, Louisiana.... dancing with lots of great women!)
But some highlites were my first 4 Crown, watching Lance DeWease beat the Outlaws at Williams Grove, 2 Indiana Midget week races & a really pleasant surprise, my 1st POWRi race at Belle Clair in Illinois
New tracks: Putnamville (Lincoln Speedway), Bloomington, Belle Clair, Lebanon Valley in upstate NY (pretty drive from Connecticut) & I can't recall the name of the track south of St. Louis in Missouri (Saint somebody County, maybe?)
Also got to meet BrentTFunk & the notorious Kevin Eckert!
St. Francois County Raceway... not so easy to remember, I don't feel so old & senile now !

5 members like this post: davidm, FishBurger, flagboy55, jim goerge, Simon_says17
12/31/16, 3:28 AM   #9
jim goerge

I got a whole 35 races in this season, which is down from my average of around 60 are more.
LPS 5
Haubstadt 4
Little Bellville 4
Bloomington 4
Granite City 3
Jacksonville 2 new track for me
Brownstown 2
The Burg 1
Wayne City Dam what a party I think lol
DuQuion
PPV
AZ 2
CA 3
Turkey night
DuQuion 1
I don"t think its bad for a old fart fart fighting the big C. Thanks to all my friends with all the encouragement I miss and love you all. Hopefully I"ll return to a full schedule in 2017.
Last edited by jim goerge; 1/2/17 at 5:46 AM. Reason: add om

12/31/16, 11:54 AM   #10
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
I got a whole 33 races in this season, which is down from my average of around 60 are more.
LPS 5
Haubstadt 4
Little Bellville 4
Bloomington 4
Granite City 3
Jacksonville 2 new track for me
Brownstown 2
The Burg 1
Salem 1
PPV
AZ 2
CA 3
Turkey night
DuQuion 1
I don"t think its bad for a old fart fart fighting the big C. Thanks to all my friends with all the encouragement I miss and love you all. Hopefully I"ll return to a full schedule in 2017.
Good luck with that nasty disease. Hang in there & have a Happy New Year!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How was your 2016 Race Season?