IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown
10/13/16, 1:05 PM   #1
Silver Crown
Nate

Just out of curiosity

Is it a plausible idea to run a non-sanctioned Silver Crown race? Of course assuming the purse was decent, the race dates worked, and the right track was putting on the show. I'm thinking somewhere like Lawrenceburg maybe?

1 member likes this post: oppweld
10/13/16, 1:56 PM   #2
Re: Silver Crown
RacingFan

Race Count This Year: 1

Check out "Big Car Series" from the Premier Racing Association, 2006-2007.
http://www.scrafan.com/pra/pramain.html

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, hhiester, PIT CART
10/13/16, 2:00 PM   #3
kstudley57

Not possible or sensible at all from a track's perspective. Any track that currently runs a USAC race in any division would be committing suicide by attempting to run a Silver Crown race on it's own, that would be the end of their profitable events like sprint week midget week or whatever event that is their bread and butter as USAC would likely pull their dates from all it's schedules. Rightly so. Additionally, SIlver Crown is trade marked I believe, so they would have to advertise the event as "big cars" or similar without using the words "Silver Crown".... Going back to when the PRA tried to start it's own series they struggled to find an identity being unable to call the cars Silver crown.

On a brighter note, or to spin your question to a more positive light... I would love to see tracks like the Burg, knoxville, Perris, ect. take a chance and go way out of their comfort zone and try to make a crown race happen and give it a year or two to be profitable. The cars would be an absolute handful but from a fans perspective, it might make for an exciting race. Same concept as midgets, the smaller the track the less horsepower required to be competitive so guys might feel like their budget could make a dent in the series; See David and Goliath. Mile racetracks are rich in silver crown history and shouldn't go away, but the growth of the series (which ultimately would open up the ability to go back to bigger tracks like Phoenix, Iowa, Or alike) is dependent on getting car counts up, fan interest up, and in the end, profitability for the promotor up in order to justify booking the race. Case in point, I'm confident there are several thousand folks getting ready to settle in for a Pennsulvania winter that all have their sharpie's uncapped and ready to circle a date on the calander once USAC releases when they are making the return to the Grove... A half mile, great race, and packed grandstands...

10/13/16, 2:35 PM   #4
cshuman

Although I know exactly what you are talking about. I never understood the logic that a track that has a Usac event, can't have an event with another similar series without having their sprint week date or similar pulled from them..
Last edited by cshuman; 10/13/16 at 3:38 PM.

10/13/16, 4:21 PM   #5
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

The Silver Crown event at "The Grove" and the USAC midget show at Lanco (about a fifth of a mile track) were two of the best shows I attended this year. Took the drivers a few laps to figure out the paper clip shape of Williams Grove, but the show that BC put on running down Windom made a lot of wing fans take notice. The key to both was a cushion that was not beat down like most of the tracks in the East do. I would love to see the Silver Crown cars run at Port Royal and Selinsgrove and Bridgeport, NJ. A USAC triple header at Bridgeport with SC & sprints on the 5/8 mile and midgets on the 1/4 mile would be great. Now, if only I can hit the lottery and fund my dreams of what I would like!

10/13/16, 4:39 PM   #6
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstudley57 View Post
Not possible or sensible at all from a track's perspective. Any track that currently runs a USAC race in any division would be committing suicide by attempting to run a Silver Crown race on it's own, that would be the end of their profitable events like sprint week midget week or whatever event that is their bread and butter as USAC would likely pull their dates from all it's schedules. Rightly so. Additionally, SIlver Crown is trade marked I believe, so they would have to advertise the event as "big cars" or similar without using the words "Silver Crown".... Going back to when the PRA tried to start it's own series they struggled to find an identity being unable to call the cars Silver crown.
Completely understand this aspect, I'm sure USAC would be less than thrilled with someone running cars that are only associated with their series in a non-sanctioned event.

To me its just sad that there are so many cars out there that only get to go racing on a dirt side 5-6 times a season. Same concept with pavement, maybe not quite as many cars as on the dirt side, but there are cars out there just sitting for much of the year.

What would happen if a track with no USAC ties tried it?

10/13/16, 6:10 PM   #7
BrentTFunk

I don't think there is a demand for more shows from either fans or competitors. I talked to a former sprint car owner who told me he would like to get a Silver Crown car. The schedule is one of the things that he said he he liked.

10/13/16, 8:11 PM   #8
flagboy55

Good point Brent. But I sure would love to see the big cars Hartford Mi. Big fast 5/8 mile wide with nice banking and usually a curb to set the right rear on

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, duel, Ken Bayliss, tamati, Whit11B
10/13/16, 9:46 PM   #9
Whit11B

Definatley Hartford. Kinda wish they would look at adding a couple more big half size tracks. Always thought it would be interesting to see them at Martinsville or Bristol also.

10/13/16, 10:10 PM   #10
interpreter66

Love to see them at volusia in February !

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown