IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville
7/4/19, 10:15 PM   #21
hilly

Race Count This Year: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
How’s the mosquitoes in Knoxville, do I need bug spray?
Haven’t seen any so far.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
7/4/19, 10:22 PM   #22
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaldwin View Post
Anyone at campsites at the track? Wondering how full it is already. I’m at Paragon and heading that way after race. Thanks for any info
The campground just N of the track looked to be about 1/2 full or so when we drove by about 8:00PM. Emphasis on LOOKED TO BE! We didn’t drive in to see.

1 member likes this post: Jbaldwin
7/4/19, 10:26 PM   #23
openwheelfan1

Quote:
We walked around the track until about 7:45. No mosquitos, and if there is a mosquito within 100 miles it will bite my wife. I’d say you’re good.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55
7/4/19, 11:34 PM   #24
Re: Knoxville
revjimk

Quote:
I've been to Knoxville winged Nats 3 times, never bothered by skeeters at all

7/4/19, 11:50 PM   #25
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
If you guys make the bonsi run to Lincoln and you like hot wings make your way to the "Watering Hole." I think there are 3 locations in Lincoln. They have the Best grilled hot wings by far I have ever eaten!
Bad idea. Its a 3 1/2 hr. drive each way, if you don't stop at all. Even if you leave Friday nite, you'll be burnt out & hard up to enjoy Saturday racing.
This museum is DEFINITELY worth seeing, & its worth taking the time to do it right. Less than 2 hrs. there won't do it justice. They used to have ONLY guided tours, 2PM Monday thru Fri. only. When I was driving from Denver to the East Coast & back every summer, I missed the tour at least 3 times. Finally i looked thru the window, decided to get a motel, stay the nite & take the tour (Bob Mays was the guide.... ultra knowledgeable!) It was a good decision, definitely worth $$$ on motel & extra day
Don't know about the rib place in Lincoln, but Buzzard Billy's cajun restaurant is killa too. Check out the Zoo Bar if you like blues, often on weekdays as well as weekends

7/5/19, 6:32 AM   #26
ThePurple73

I have never seen a bad non-wing show at Knoxville. Always exciting.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
7/5/19, 7:31 AM   #27
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Bad idea. Its a 3 1/2 hr. drive each way, if you don't stop at all. Even if you leave Friday nite, you'll be burnt out & hard up to enjoy Saturday racing.This museum is DEFINITELY worth seeing, & its worth taking the time to do it right.
Maybe its a bad idea in your view,but when you are that close,and dont get out that way much,and if you live in Indiana its probably 12 hours away,then it doesnt look to bad. Or maybe some of us are keener than others to do such things on the side.

I noted on another thread a few weeks ago to go there Saturday Morning. The museum is open from 9 to 1. To go there on a weekday like today,then no you wont have time to really enjoy the place,because the tours dont start till the early afternoon.

I recommended going there,as I have been there a few times myself over the years and its the best racing/hot rod museum I have been to........by far..........and I have been to a bunch of racing museums over the years.

Bottom line is this: If you plan ahead, you can go to Speedway Motors and tour their museum,and have plenty of time to get back to Knoxville and kick back a bit before going to the race.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 7/5/19 at 7:41 AM.

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, i love dirt track racing, oppweld
7/5/19, 3:01 PM   #28
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaldwin View Post
Anyone at campsites at the track? Wondering how full it is already. I’m at Paragon and heading that way after race. Thanks for any info
Been here since Monday. Camped on grounds behind barns off 3&4. Filling up, but some spots still available with electric and some with water. $25 per night. Sure some at camp just to north of track.

7/5/19, 5:35 PM   #29
Jbaldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Been here since Monday. Camped on grounds behind barns off 3&4. Filling up, but some spots still available with electric and some with water. $25 per night. Sure some at camp just to north of track.
We got here a little before 10 and able to get a spot. Looking forward to the racing.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville