IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > electric power steering
4/19/18, 11:39 PM   #1
electric power steering
goforit14

looking for feedback on electric power steering; I thinking of putting it on my lightning sprint. I run a GSXR 1000 motor. Specifically, how much does it really help, also, can the standard charging system on a GSXR handle the additional electrical load? any input appreciated..

4/20/18, 9:04 AM   #2
Re: electric power steering
TQ29m

I don't have a clue, but I just bought a new Ford Transit XLT Passenger Wagon, and it has it, and the only thing I've noticed is it has zero slack in it, unlike conventional belt driven PS, with this, you have more of a feel of the road maybe, but it is different. As far as putting it on a race car? I doubt the battery would hold up long enough, maybe, who knows, batteries have come a long way in the last few years, I haven't even looked for the pump that drives it, or the linkage that is involved, but it is a thought, maybe a foolish one, but who knows! Bob

4/20/18, 12:40 PM   #3
suzuki756

They will not hold up to abuse , have replaced many from hitting a pot hole most cars have them now

4/20/18, 12:43 PM   #4
RacinFool

Great feel but we ran out on a indoor midget and minor contact destroyed the unit. Suitable for hot rods wouldn't recommend for a midget.

1 member likes this post: kgray1974
4/20/18, 12:46 PM   #5
TQ29m

I just checked my parts store, eBay, they have one on there, for $50.00, made by Ford, off an 04 Volvo, wouldn't cost much to "feel" one! Bob

4/20/18, 1:55 PM   #6
kendirt

I'd imagine he's talking about this or similar: http://www.hyperracing.com/pages/pro...product=16-710

Watch the video, it's kind of cool.

Not sure how you'll adapt it since Micro Sprints run a rack and Lightning Sprints don't. There wouldn't be room in my car for one.

1 member likes this post: Owen
4/21/18, 2:38 AM   #7
Bear10

Henchcraft sells one and it works nice. Get a hold of Them at EMI It’s been done many of times in the lightning sprints. And the hold up just fine. All micros run them . As far as diff between rack and steering box Hench developed a system that works for the Schroeder box . Contact him at EMI

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > electric power steering