IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Non-Wing VS Wing Payout
1/22/18, 6:39 PM   #11
treecitytornado

It costs more to race a Winged 410 weekly than it does Non-Wing. Wings make it a lot harder on engines and the tire bill is more too,if you are doing it, right. Harder on Torsion Bars and other components too.

1/22/18, 6:42 PM   #12
Re: Non-Wing VS Wing Payout
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
It costs more to race a Winged 410 weekly than it does Non-Wing. Wings make it a lot harder on engines and the tire bill is more too,if you are doing it, right. Harder on Torsion Bars and other components too.
I don't agree. Lawrenceburg will eat 3 tires a night sometimes.

2 members like this post: mike mcghee, motorhead748
1/22/18, 6:44 PM   #13
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Remember Attica and Fremont also have 305's raising the back gate. which do they draw more of 305 or 410. I don't know just asking
Does having 3 other classes, sometimes 4, count at all of the Indiana tracks?

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
1/22/18, 9:02 PM   #14
treecitytornado

I was talking on average. I know about "The Burg." Raced there many, many times.

1/22/18, 10:21 PM   #15
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

If the only difference were wing cost, Everyone would be running them. But they eat up way more fuel, are harder on drive train, Motor life is half between rebuilds.

I also remember the car counts dropping to about 9-10 cars after about five years of it when several IN tracks went winged back in the late 80s early 90s

Seen JJ Hughes post his racing budget for 2017 was less than a USAC teams tire bill. I was impressed because he was beating some of them, some nights.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 1/22/18 at 10:24 PM.

3 members like this post: oppweld, the1jet17, TNRustler
1/22/18, 11:52 PM   #16
fish

Fremont is a track I've visited often. It's a fairgrounds track with a long background, covered grandstands, etc. They run a consistent program and have a loyal LOCAL following. Also have one of the best announcers in the business in Brian Liskai.

It's a bullring that produces some great racing. It's not the tacky type track Indiana folks demand, but I don't really recall any dustbowl experiences.

One of the big things that has had to do with the track's success is the relationship between Fremont and Attica. Many tracks could learn a thing or two on how these two have worked together for YEARS.

Also, it kind of really is a sprint car show. The 410s & 305s always have fields of over 20 cars for a weekly show; the only other class was 602 late models. The 305s put on just about as good a show, have several old veterans that were 410 vets. Some pretty good drivers have also moved up. Like all classes that were designed to be cheap, it got expensive, but still a good training ground.

They have great food. Brand new restrooms. Will get you out by 10:30 or before. And do a lot of other things right.

Nearly every race night is, H & H Fence Night, or some promotion like that. That may be one difference in the purse. Bottom line: They put butts in the seat.

BOSS always puts on a good show there as well. If you don't care for the wings, check out a BOSS show.
Last edited by fish; 1/23/18 at 12:00 AM.

1/23/18, 5:01 AM   #17
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
If the only difference were wing cost, Everyone would be running them. But they eat up way more fuel, are harder on drive train, Motor life is half between rebuilds.

I also remember the car counts dropping to about 9-10 cars after about five years of it when several IN tracks went winged back in the late 80s early 90s

Seen JJ Hughes post his racing budget for 2017 was less than a USAC teams tire bill. I was impressed because he was beating some of them, some nights.
The one crash/year that is waaay more likely to happen NW will mostly offset any perceived lower operating costs.

1 member likes this post: fish
1/23/18, 9:59 AM   #18
Backitin

If the only difference was wing cost, everyone would be running them., wrong ! lol.
Also wrong is the one/year crash quote. I see just as many winged cars crashing, if not more. I seem to notice more nonwing shows going flag to flag then winged cars.

4 members like this post: captrat, flagboy55, oppweld, stp6237
1/23/18, 1:09 PM   #19
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

Simple law of economics. If you are willing to race for less, promoters will pay you less. When some drivers/owners will run at a track that is offering less than the accepted standard purse for that group, for what ever the reason (less pressure to succeed, less competition, less travel, less operating cost) promoters will pay less. In some cases racers just want to race.

1/23/18, 2:42 PM   #20
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
If the only difference was wing cost, everyone would be running them., wrong ! lol.
Also wrong is the one/year crash quote. I see just as many winged cars crashing, if not more. I seem to notice more nonwing shows going flag to flag then winged cars.
It was my quote and experience about the crashing and I will stand behind it after owning/driving my own car for 20 years and being involved with others for 15 years after that. What's your experience?
Bottom line what I am saying is that it isn't appreciably if any cheaper to run NW. I'd like to see the purses for NW brought up to wing levels.
Last edited by motorhead748; 1/23/18 at 2:48 PM.

6 members like this post: fish, oppweld, spankytoo, stp6237, the1jet17, Whit11B
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Non-Wing VS Wing Payout