IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your 2017 Race Season
1/2/18, 6:42 PM   #71
Re: Your 2017 Race Season
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

Went to 40 events this year, down from 60 last year, neither compare to the 90 to 100 races I used to be able to go to when I was shooting photos for NSSN and working official for URC and ARDC. Seven states (NJ, PA, IN, NY, DE, OH, and KY) with six new tracks. Lawrenceburg, IN for USAC Sprints, Woodhull, NY for 305 Sprints, Toledo, OH for USAC Silver Crown, Late Models at Florence Speedway, Union, KY, ARCA Stocks at Winchester, IN and 600's indoors on dirt at Trenton, NJ Arena. I agree with Bruce Eckel that USAC Midgets at Susquehanna was great! Biggest disappointment was USAC Midgets at Lanco, PA, especially after last years race. Why do Eastern tracks insist on pounding down the cushion? Surprise for me was the USAC Silver Crown show at Toledo, could have used a few more cars but there were three groups of cars (good, better, best) that ran together all night long which made for some interesting racing. I also finally saw a race at Winchester, IN with ARCA. Wow! I wished I could have seen USAC sprints or midgets there back in the day. Kyle Larson winning three PA Sprint Speedweek events was also neat. I actually saw more non-wing shows (15) that wing shows (13), two Indy Car Races (the 500 and Pocono) a few asphalt and dirt modifies races and two dirt late model shows for diversity. Really looking forward to enlarged USAC Eastern Storm, USAC Eastern Midget events, USAC-URC Non-Wing events and ARDC midgets next year. Disappointed that Silver Crown will not return to Williams Grove next year. New racing season starts for me Friday 1/5 and Saturday 1/6 with TQ's indoor at Allentown, PA

1/2/18, 8:28 PM   #72
cornerthree

My first race was a cold one. 141 speedway Chill Chaser endro.
Temp of 2 degrees and a wind chill of -15, and it didn't get any warmer in the hour and a half they raced.
84 cars stared and about 40 finished. Winner check was $4,000. Next stop Tulsa for the Chili Bowl

1/4/18, 1:01 PM   #73
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerthree View Post
My first race was a cold one. 141 speedway Chill Chaser endro.
Temp of 2 degrees and a wind chill of -15, and it didn't get any warmer in the hour and a half they raced.
84 cars stared and about 40 finished. Winner check was $4,000. Next stop Tulsa for the Chili Bowl
WOW!!! Temp of 2 degrees with wind chill of -15!!! You're a better man than me. That's dedication!! Enjoy the indoors at Tulsa.

Bruce Eckel

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Kydehart, luckybuc97
1/4/18, 1:22 PM   #74
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

31 races mostly Indiana and Illinois. Quite a few new tracks including Fals,Fayette,Joliet, Springfield, in Illinois, Chandler,IN and Moberly,MO. Most were great first time experiences
(Minus the unfortunate events at Springfield). Highlights were Non wing returning to Williams Grove and Knoxville any race at Kokomo,Haubstadt or THAT.

1/5/18, 3:34 PM   #75
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Weather problems hurt me this year. Went to 37 events, down from my usual mid forty or higher. Started the season at the Southern Illinois Center with the Shamrock Classic and ended it there with the Junior Knepper 55. Hit my usual majors of the Indianapolis 500 (for my 53rd consecutive), The Brickyard 400, Ted Horn 100 at DuQuoin and the Four Crown at Eldora.
Went to one new track, Gateway Motorsports Park for the Indy car race (my first ever under the lights). Made my usual regular stops at Bloomington, Putnamville, Haubstadt, Terre Haute, Lawrenceburg and Belle-Clair. Also hit the Silver Crown race at Salem, and one stop each at Brownstown and Paragon.
Not every event was an instant classic, but just being able to go the tracks and witness the competition and visit with fellow race fans is a treat in itself and I hope to continue doing so for sometime to come.

1/5/18, 9:55 PM   #76
itsanonwingthing

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 51

I was at 49, and the only reasonable chance to reach 50 was the Turkey Gobbler @ Moler, or a trip to Lake Cumberland, Ky, both Late Model/modified shows. Weather was favorable for Lake Cumberland (Moler Postponed), and my best friend growing up lives in Somerset, so I was able to catch up with him for a while and head south to the track for race #50. OK enough about late models. My 50 races (rainouts not included) were at 21 different tracks, which included IMS/32nd consecutive Indy 500, 28 USAC in 3 divisions, 5 MSCS (some Co-USAC), 4 BOSS, races at Kokomo (7), Lawrenceburg (6), Bloomington (5), Tri-State and Lincoln Park (4 ea), Eldora and Brownstown (3 ea), IMS and Montpelier (2 ea), Paragon, Lake Cumberland, Plymouth, Florence, LORP, Jacksonville, Knoxville, Route 44, Waynesfield, Salem and Du Quoin (1 ea). New tracks were Jacksonville, Illinois (POWRi Midgets) and Plymouth Speedway (USAC Sprints). Had 6 rainouts.

1/6/18, 2:49 PM   #77
Birdsboro

Race Count This Year: 10
Race Count Last Year: 30

i lost count in August... i was somewhere in the 70s but then we went to 7 days at work and that really cramped my style.
started in Florida with the Bubba usac stuff and ended in upstate ny for the Gobbler. 8 states 20 different tracks 4 new ones.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, davidm, Kydehart, ronmil
1/7/18, 1:52 PM   #78
i love dirt track racing

Our racing family's had a great year of racing events. Looking forward to seeing all the great racing fans and racing teams and promoters in 2018 . Have fun and enjoy all the great things that we all love. God bless America. Thanks.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, davidm, luckybuc97, mc/rider
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your 2017 Race Season