IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IMS Sold to Penske
11/13/19, 11:31 AM   #61
Re: IMS Sold to Penske
ISF

This guys' dialog consistently smacks heavily of a disgruntled former employee of an entity that was left behind due to the decisions made back in 1995-96.

Personally, I'm quite happy and content with the fact that a gentleman who is a friend, along with some other drivers, got the opportunity to fulfill a dream, a dream shared by literally a few thousand supporters, to qualify for the Indy 500. The timing was nearly perfect and it worked out very well. I really don't care how much of the Hulman fortune was spent. I really don't care if the split and the ultimate disregard of those precious white papers caused what is perceived as irreparable damage to rear engine open wheel racing. None of that has any significant impact on myself or my familys' quality of life. However, seeing a well deserving friend give a very good account of himself and fulfill a huge dream actually does add just a smidgen to the quality of my life.

If all that makes me a short sighted xenophobe in the judgemental eyes of some who would believe themselves to be just a bit more "enlightened", then I reckon I plead guilty as charged.

11/24/19, 11:40 AM   #62
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
This guys' dialog consistently smacks heavily of a disgruntled former employee of an entity that was left behind due to the decisions made back in 1995-96.
When I get accused of being a former or current member of the CART/Penske payroll it's always a good indicator of that individual not having legs to stand on so they resort to straw man arguments.

Riddle me this? How many original IRL teams are left? What happened to the grassroots save the oval campaign?

As much as I enjoyed seeing Kinser and Hewitt get the chance it was a bit hollow. Competition was watered down. If both are the competitors they seem to be, I think they would both agree they would have rather shown off their talents against a field that included Unser, Jr, Rahal, Vasser, Zanardi, Tracy, De Ferran, Andretti, Franchitti, Castroneves, Moore, and those teams they were associated with.

Like I said, Pyrrhic victory. In the quest to get 100% what you wanted you ended up with near next to nothing at a great cost in loss of fans and teams and a once strong series with world wide attention rebuilding itself after being burnt to the ground. That's fine if you want the Greatest Race in the Whole Wide World of Indiana with a support series no one gives three rat's rears about, but don't complain when no one watches, teams leave because they can't garner the financial support needed, and your hero can't get a ride because of lack of said funds. For the rest of us living in the world of reality, we'll continue on the quest to return the race and series to one of the world's greatest without you, oh and drivers and teams from any place that so desires to be a part of it.
Last edited by Brickyard; 11/24/19 at 11:41 AM.

11/24/19, 11:09 PM   #63
jdull99

This well explains the intrigue and the Victories that the IRL did bring! -

https://racer.com/2019/11/22/mickey-...-builder-dies/

What happened to the IRL teams? (Stated before); The Internet boom crashed, Tabaco Companies and corporate America didn't get behind grass-roots racers and teams. It's about the same thing happening in NASCAR right now...(only about 20 or so well-funded teams/household names drivers actly...).
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

2 members like this post: Blackduce, ISF
11/25/19, 8:14 AM   #64
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
When I get accused of being a former or current member of the CART/Penske payroll it's always a good indicator of that individual not having legs to stand on so they resort to straw man arguments.

Riddle me this? How many original IRL teams are left? What happened to the grassroots save the oval campaign?

As much as I enjoyed seeing Kinser and Hewitt get the chance it was a bit hollow. Competition was watered down. If both are the competitors they seem to be, I think they would both agree they would have rather shown off their talents against a field that included Unser, Jr, Rahal, Vasser, Zanardi, Tracy, De Ferran, Andretti, Franchitti, Castroneves, Moore, and those teams they were associated with.

Like I said, Pyrrhic victory. In the quest to get 100% what you wanted you ended up with near next to nothing at a great cost in loss of fans and teams and a once strong series with world wide attention rebuilding itself after being burnt to the ground. That's fine if you want the Greatest Race in the Whole Wide World of Indiana with a support series no one gives three rat's rears about, but don't complain when no one watches, teams leave because they can't garner the financial support needed, and your hero can't get a ride because of lack of said funds. For the rest of us living in the world of reality, we'll continue on the quest to return the race and series to one of the world's greatest without you, oh and drivers and teams from any place that so desires to be a part of it.
Let it indicate anything you want. It's meaningless to me. I don't really need a leg to stand on 'cause the disgruntled employee part was a mere musing, definitely not an accusation. The evidence speaks for itself.

As for the rest of the drivel, I repeat, I don't care! LOL!

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, PJ Wright
11/29/19, 2:13 PM   #65
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
This well explains the intrigue and the Victories that the IRL did bring! -

https://racer.com/2019/11/22/mickey-...-builder-dies/

What happened to the IRL teams? (Stated before); The Internet boom crashed, Tabaco Companies and corporate America didn't get behind grass-roots racers and teams. It's about the same thing happening in NASCAR right now...(only about 20 or so well-funded teams/household names drivers actly...).
A strong series could have weathered those events much better. Splitting the series, running off fans, strong teams, and proven top level talent....pretty much the equivalent of not boarding up your windows and latching down everything that can be blown away before the hurricane hits.

11/29/19, 2:26 PM   #66
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
Let it indicate anything you want. It's meaningless to me. I don't really need a leg to stand on 'cause the disgruntled employee part was a mere musing, definitely not an accusation. The evidence speaks for itself.

As for the rest of the drivel, I repeat, I don't care! LOL!
You cared enough to post.....

But, yea, if a person has a problem with foreign talent competing in this series, then they are exactly that....a xenophobe.

1 member likes this post: opnwhlmnd
11/29/19, 6:03 PM   #67
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

What most people who think Tony George and the IRL destroyed open wheel racing fail to remember the beginning of the split was started with the Gurney's white paper and the way the USAC Board was set up with non Championship owners/drivers having some say into how the Championship division would operate. I still believe that Gurney, Hall, Patrick, Roger P, and other owners had legitimate concerns about the direction of Championship Division of USAC, BUT with the death of Tony Hulman and the loss of almost all USAC officials from the plane crash on the return the Trenton race gave the CART people an opening that those two events provided. When the young stars of the open wheel cars could not get a ride because they "lacked rear-engine, ground effects experience" and Emmo F. refused to drink the milk but push orange juice in victory lane, the IMS people needed to do something to protect their "brand identity." Least people forget CART put the "500" on their schedule even though it was a USAC event, why? Because it was and still is the single most important race in the world. The CART people started the verbal war of "who are these guys" racing in the 500 without us! When CART ran against the Indy 500 with their own 500 at Michigan and had the massive wreck before the start and then allowed the teams to bring out their backup cars they lost the ability to show how good they were. I have always felt that you do not advance your agenda by tearing down your competition because when you do people may think the the overall product may be flawed. I think the advance of NASCAR was open wheel fans looking for competition on the track, not in the board rooms of sanctioning groups. I still find it hard to believe that grass root drivers, if given the chance, could not become qualified Indy car drivers, especially if there are more ovals on the tour. The track and the series are in good hands as of now, but no one can foresee what changes will be made and if they will bring an upswing, stay basically the same, or cause a demise in the event and series we love

5 members like this post: bvall24, captrat, jim goerge, Joe Schaub, mc/rider
12/19/19, 11:44 PM   #68
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

I don't see this as a positive but my real concerns are if the Captain goes away,
who stands next in line at Penske and where do they stand on all things involved?????
Mainly because Roger will turn 83 in February!!!

So as time passes then will we be looking at a Foreign owner?
I mean I would have bet you $100 that of all the mile tracks, the Indy State Fairgrounds would have been the last standing with Racing.
So all bets are off on what may actually happen when the time comes.
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
6/22/20, 11:10 AM   #69
rj1

With the benefit of Covid-influenced hindsight I think we can safely say that the Hulman George family had the good fortune to sell at the top of the market when they did.

5 members like this post: Blackduce, luckybuc97, PIT CART, racenut69, RockinRy
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IMS Sold to Penske