IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chevy test there sprint engine
9/10/08, 9:20 AM   #1
Chevy test there sprint engine
SUPERDUKE
Banned

:shoutTHE 370 CI ALL ALUM. FI. ENGINE THAT SELLS FOR $9600 OR LEASE FOR $5600 A YEAR IF THE GET IT IN A SERIES! WILL TEST IN A SPRINT CAR IN CA. IN OCT. THIS WILL CUT THE COST OF RACING BY 40%! INDIANA NEEDS TO TAKE A LOOK AT THIS ENGINE! IT MAKES OVER 700 HP WITCH IS PLENTY!:checkered:
Last edited by SUPERDUKE; 9/10/08 at 9:23 AM.

9/10/08, 9:39 AM   #2
Re: Chevy test there sprint engine
Motormasher

That is exactly what we need to keep cost down:thumb Everybody trying to run these outlaw engines for a regular non wing show that pays $1,300 to win and $100 to start every weekend needs to stop.
The DT-3 tire rule hasn't worked (and sucks in my opinion) and I think there shouldn't be any cockpit adjustable shocks either @ $450 a piece.

9/10/08, 10:24 AM   #3
ossuks

Yeah, instead a guy can buy several sets of shocks at a higher cost!!

9/10/08, 10:42 AM   #4
LEADERS EDGE

Is it a spec motor where only an authorized builder can rebuild it?

If it proves reliable,I think that is a great alternative to a series that uses a specified engine size.
(358/360)

I believe it would be fine to compete with in Indiana, but to mandate it will be hard because of all of the cars and engines running right now. If only a certain company or builder can rework it, I would think the back log would get pretty big in the middle of the season.

It's a shame that it isn't a 410 that made 790 plus because then it would possibly be a great alternative to what is running right now.

Who knows, maybe it is already the right combination that will prove to be very competitive. If it is,that is great news; but I wouldn't mandate it because the lack of rules is what I feel makes the sprint racing scene as big as it is In Indiana. You can basically run whatever you want in Indiana.

9/10/08, 11:56 AM   #5
DonRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
You can basically run whatever you want in Indiana.
The engine rules are different than USAC's at most Indiana tracks?

9/10/08, 12:20 PM   #6
D.O.

Duke you know as well as most that Yes this would be a good deal and save money,BUT!

Everybody has high dollar engines or builds them will be against a deal like this.

Many series have tried the crate motors and 9 to 1.
But to get all the sprint guys to change would be tough.

Just like the spec tire. I was suppose to be a tire that lasted 3 or 4 races and was fairly cheap. Look where that has gone. How many spec tires are priced the same.

Adjustable shocks are ok if the adjusters are out side on the shock only. That way only the team can adjust them prior to the race and under an open red.

If somebody started a series that paid well and use rules like above them maybe a wholesale change would be made. But for the money sprints run for now local and national change would be tough.

:dologob:

9/10/08, 12:25 PM   #7
Offy22

How about some more info? Tough to rum on alky with 9:1 but 10K for a years worth of motor is a far cry from what is currently being spent. I'm all ears...

9/10/08, 1:01 PM   #8
Bronco Billy Molkenbur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
Yeah, instead a guy can buy several sets of shocks at a higher cost!!
I agree, when racers are forced to save money in one area they tend to spend way more than is necessary in other areas. I have seen this in a spec engine Latemodel series a couple of years ago. Penske shocks were all the rage for a season...then they clamped down with a shock rule. It's a never ending chase.

9/10/08, 1:05 PM   #9
TQ29m

I agree, it could be an "ointment" for an aching checkbook, but it comes with some negatives. Most folks really don't like "spec" anything, give them some basic guidelines, let them do their own work, or at least whoever they want to do it, KISS, and it could fly. One thing about it, if you're gonna run dirt, in Indiana, you already know, it's not going to be a hosspower race, it's gonna be who can manage the throttle the best,and set-up, extra hoss's helps get you outa trouble sometimes, but it can also be a disadvantage at times. I think folks mostly like to be able to choose what they run, tires included, and if they make the wrong choices, it's their decision, not mandated like most of nicecar is, how far would a gear ratio mandate for any track fly? Money is not always gonna win, but the lack of it, can sure put a crimp in where you finish. Bob

9/10/08, 1:56 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

How about simply cutting the tire size in half where this motor could run with anything most nights?

That makes too much sense. Nevermind

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chevy test there sprint engine