IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Closed Thread
ThrowbackRacingTeam (Offline)
  #11 8/21/22 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Hoosiersprinter:
They coulda tried. Been here all day. I didn’t say they don’t give a *****. Just said they have a history of not trying very hard. Especially for such a historic race. You here all day??
Actually the opposite is true when they had Terre Haute. I’ve seen them try very hard to get races in. And the fact that they most likely lose money on these mile dirt events but keep having them, should make you appreciate them. The Fair may also play a part in making the call. You don’t know. If they would have opened up the dirt and it rained again which it looked like it could have, they could have had a real mess on their hands and pissed off the fair that has to set up gates and port-a-potties on the front stretch before the concert. On top of that, all musical acts have become more demanding about security and clearing the premises of the racers and fans. It may even get to a point where the fair simply chooses concerts over racing and we’ll have no more racing there. Hopefully not and see you in October.
10 Likes: Dale, erich45, flagboy55, jdull99, John P Huss, luckybuc97, miledirt, mtek56, tirespinner, Tk04
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #12 8/22/22 1:47 PM
They coulda tried. Been here all day. I didn’t say they don’t give a *****. Just said they have a history of not trying very hard. Especially for such a historic race. You here all day??
Realistically what could they have done? Remember they have to be done at 4. It probably would have taken until close to one to get the track ready. The forecast was calling for rain between 1 and 2. It would have been hard to complete the whole show. Then people would have complained that they should have canceled, and not wasted people's time. I am planning to go on the rain date.
7 Likes: Chief Wahoo, Dirtfan, erich45, jdull99, opnwhlmnd, PIT CART, wildman92
diversified (Offline)
  #13 8/22/22 1:58 PM
More rain Sunday morning delayed the ARCA race, just past halfway they came over the radio and told the team the race would end in 12 minutes due to a hard time deadline for the Sammy Hagar concert later that day. Race ended with a red flag coming down to the white flag when 2nd place Buddy Kofoid pulled to the outside of the leader to make the pass for the win at the flagstand but a lapped car was bouncing off the front straight wall hidden in a huge cloud of dust. Kofoid hit the slow car wide open, lapped car flipped, both cars junk, but it was great to see both drivers walk away. Very scary crash!
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, flagboy55, jdull99, luckybuc97
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #14 8/22/22 3:59 PM
That was a scary one. On a side note, that would’ve been a fun track to watch the big cars on. It had some character
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97
CRA91 (Offline)
  #15 8/22/22 4:33 PM
They sure didn't do us any favors by calling it so quickly as we got to spend 2400.00 in diesel fuel for our round trip from Arizona to get to see the sun out for rest of the day.

Imo I think it's pretty stupid to have a race and concert together in such a tight time frame.

All the teams that showed up for this lost money and I guess nobody seems to care as it seems they think we all got money trees growing in our back yards!

The one thing this showed me was the races are just playing second fiddle to the concerts they had as that is where they're going to make their money and they don't seem to care how much money it costs someone else for their greedy ideas.

Terry James Jr.
4 Likes: flagboy55, Speedwrench, Steve Wendel, tirespinner
Dale (Offline)
  #16 8/22/22 4:59 PM
Originally Posted by CRA91:
They sure didn't do us any favors by calling it so quickly as we got to spend 2400.00 in diesel fuel for our round trip from Arizona to get to see the sun out for rest of the day.

Imo I think it's pretty stupid to have a race and concert together in such a tight time frame.

All the teams that showed up for this lost money and I guess nobody seems to care as it seems they think we all got money trees growing in our back yards!

The one thing this showed me was the races are just playing second fiddle to the concerts they had as that is where they're going to make their money and they don't seem to care how much money it costs someone else for their greedy ideas.
I think your remarks accurately capture the diminishing respect shown to USAC by the IL State Fair. Unfortunately, I believe this coincides with declining ticket sales. That said, why do they dick around all day with a lot of down time before starting the race at 2 pm? They could easily start the race at 12 and not be under such time pressure.
2 Likes: CRA91, flagboy55
Hoosiersprinter (Offline)
  #17 8/22/22 5:07 PM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
Realistically what could they have done? Remember they have to be done at 4. It probably would have taken until close to one to get the track ready. The forecast was calling for rain between 1 and 2. It would have been hard to complete the whole show. Then people would have complained that they should have canceled, and not wasted people's time. I am planning to go on the rain date.
Didn’t realize they had a hard out at 4. We were there for the race and the concert both. At 10:30 local time, I looked at the track and it was not bad at all. Didn’t start raining again until 6. Stage was pretty much all up and covered. Would think they could have gone past 4 but hey, just disappointed. First time to see a race there. Got to hangout all day, state fair, then concert. My point was it doesn’t seem like much effort was made and being from Terre haute, saw many a rainout with ample time and weather to make it happen at THAT over the years while at the same time, appreciative of Bob and the many excellent shows that were ran. Looking forward to October

John Nelson
Terre Haute, IN
3 Likes: flagboy55, Steve Wendel, tirespinner
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #18 8/22/22 6:39 PM
I don't think it shows disrespect to anyone. It just makes a very tight schedule. The fair lasts for a couple of weeks, and they put as much into that time as they can. You can't pick one event over another. What the state of Indiana did to the Indy mile was disrespectful. Yes, I was inconvenienced. But the whole world doesn't revolve around me. On a positive note, I went to Macon Saturday night. Track was as good as I ever have seen it. Track crew and POWRi ran a quick program, and midget feature was over at 8:30. Got into rain 3 miles from the track.
7 Likes: addictedtodirt, erich45, flagboy55, opnwhlmnd, oppweld, tirespinner, wildman92
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #19 8/22/22 7:59 PM
Is it that important to have the race with the fair? I would think they use the facility for other things but I’m sure it’s not booked up all the time. Does the fair subsidize this event?
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #20 8/22/22 8:26 PM
Originally Posted by flagboy55:
Is it that important to have the race with the fair? I would think they use the facility for other things but I’m sure it’s not booked up all the time. Does the fair subsidize this event?
I think if you want to draw any casual fans the fair helps. The entire sport needs more than the hard core fan.
5 Likes: Grocery Guy, jdull99, opnwhlmnd, oppweld, tirespinner
Closed Thread