IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Nascar
5/13/17, 9:52 AM   #1
Nascar
Backitin

I see nascar shot down a car sponsorship by a MEDICAL marijuana corporation out of Colorado. So go ahead and drink youself and possibly others to death that's fine, just don't smoke a pretty much benign substance that keeps people like me from being bedridden from spinal injuries and illness. Oh you good ole boys, lol. Its a celebrated fact that nascar got its start thru moonshine, and still embraces the alcohol fraternity. One of the biggest killers in the world.
Nascar grow a pair.

5/13/17, 10:07 AM   #2
Re: Nascar
BrentTFunk

They also grew the sport from the deadliest of them all nicotine. Winston money put NASCAR on the map. They sure took their money

5/13/17, 10:16 AM   #3
xoxide

Nascar is a political organization.... there's no money to be made from weed like there is from alcohol and cig companies.... when's the last time a little weed put anyone in the hospital for big pharma companies to profit off of? Now compare that number to alcohol or cigarette related incidents.

It's all one big circle, no pun intended.
Last edited by xoxide; 5/13/17 at 10:21 AM.

7 members like this post: Bobby7j, BrentTFunk, darnall, fish, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, tirespinner
5/13/17, 10:50 AM   #4
tdt636

I wouldn't let it bother you too much. NASCAR is killing itself and probably won't be around in another 5-10 years

5/13/17, 8:29 PM   #5
minispeed

I hope your right! They keep taking our great sprint car drivers!!! Lol

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
5/14/17, 1:29 AM   #6
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdt636 View Post
I wouldn't let it bother you too much. NASCAR is killing itself and probably won't be around in another 5-10 years
I would take that bet. If your interested.

3 members like this post: Augie, fish, tirespinner
5/14/17, 8:00 AM   #7
Backitin

My vote is they will still be around just more irrelevant each year.
I said it a bunch on here, you guys are beyond lucky to have nonwinged sprints to support.

5/14/17, 12:43 PM   #8
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Haven't been a NASCAR fan in many years, but to be fair they couldn't take weed money. First weed is still federally(nationally) illegal and still not socially accepted in many circles, medical or not. Second as far as tobacco goes, at one time more than 50% of the population smoked, dipped or chewed and was socially accepted as cool and was associated with status. Time marched on and the attitude toward tobacco and knowledge of its effects changed its social standing. Although tobacco has never been illegal only recently socially frowned on. Third, alocohol hasn't been illegal since the depression and if used responsibly and in moderation does have positive health attributes in regards to cholesterol levels and is mostly socially accepted.

Having said all that NASCAR is a self serving political suck up. They've routinely shot down team sponsors they wanted for themselves. They suck up to whatever social or political issue will serve them best. Like the drive for diversity program(aka affirmative action) or switching to alcohol so Obama would play nice. The latest France regime is by far the worst, weed or no weed.
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 5/14/17 at 5:57 PM.

5/14/17, 1:43 PM   #9
djbamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Nascar is a political organization.... there's no money to be made from weed like there is from alcohol and cig companies.... when's the last time a little weed put anyone in the hospital for big pharma companies to profit off of? Now compare that number to alcohol or cigarette related incidents.

It's all one big circle, no pun intended.
Uh no money to be made? The state of Oregon has collected over $75 million in cannabis taxes (17%, and up to 3% to the locality). In the past 18 months IIRC. The legalization of cannabis is all about the money for the states that have legalized it.

1 member likes this post: fish
5/14/17, 2:58 PM   #10
xoxide

You took what I was saying way out of context. I meant there's no money to me made by big pharma companies, tobacco, or alcohol companies.

The legalization of marijuana has created a tremendous amount of revenue in colorado I know which a huge portion has gone right back into making improvements to the school system, etc.

2 members like this post: fish, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Nascar