IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Father's Day
6/19/21, 9:15 PM   #1
Father's Day
Stevensville Mike

I am going to jump the gun by a day here, gents, and wish all of the dads out there a Happy Father's Day for tomorrow. I don't know what YOU will be doing, but I'll be down at Plymouth Speedway watching the UMP Summernationals Hell Tour. It will be hot, I'll have my grill, cheap beer, and I do not have to work Monday, so this is a win-win-win. I've been slooooowly getting back into the swing of thing this year and this is right in the crosshairs and just what I need.

On a sidebar, is it me or is there a Milwaukee's Best Light shortage down in the Hoosier state, too?

More importantly, enjoy your day gentlemen.

6/19/21, 9:45 PM   #2
Re: Father's Day
racenut69

Happy Father's Day to you and everyone else...I will be at Fayette County Ill.,watching the finale of POWRI Speedweek!

4 members like this post: jim goerge, Stevensville Mike, tirespinner, wildman92
6/19/21, 11:33 PM   #3
jim goerge

Mike I don"t know about beer cuz I do shots! For dads day my daughter and her boy friend are takin me over to the PowrI show.

6/20/21, 1:51 AM   #4
Danny Burton

James Lee Burton 1927-1987

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Stevensville Mike, tirespinner
6/20/21, 1:57 AM   #5
flagboy55

Technically I’m not jumping the gun because as I write this it’s past midnight here in the 219. Happy Father’s Day to you Mike and all the other dad’s out there. As probably many of you, I have my Dad to thank for my obsession with racing, and I can’t thank him enough. Our roots are deep in racing as my grandfather and his brothers built a race track in Charleston Illinois that raced midgets regularly. That then is where my Dad got bit by the racing bug and tonight I was in the Race Garage with one of my sons streaming racing from across the country. Racing has turned into a part of the fabric of our family, and Dad made it happen. Mike, I’ve been contemplating going to Plymouth Sunday, and the fact you’re going to be there makes it even more intriguing. Not sure yet what we’re going to do but we might see you there. Happy Father’s Day to all

4 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, jim goerge, Stevensville Mike, tirespinner
6/20/21, 5:02 AM   #6
Stevensville Mike

Yeah, I have to tip my purple cap to my late father. He got me hooked when I was a little guy, too. We lived in Detroit and I can remember standing on the Belle Isle Bridge looking through the slats in the railing. I was too small to see over the top. We were watching the APBA Gold Cup for the unlimited hydroplanes. This was 1965....? I was five years old. Ron Musson won driving the green and yellow Miss Bardahl. Sadly he was one of the drivers who lost his life the next year in DC.

But I can still hear the sounds of those boats to this day, and the excitement there was to be had.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, tirespinner, TQ29m
6/20/21, 8:05 AM   #7
Stevensville Mike

UMP Summernationals at Plymouth have been canceled due to wet grounds from last evening.

https://plymouthspeedway.net/

I guess it will be TV today - F1 and IndyCars.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, tirespinner
6/20/21, 10:00 AM   #8
i love dirt track racing

Happy father's day to you all. Have a great day and enjoy the great things that we all love. God bless America. I have to say go Ballou and a big win tonight. LOL. Thanks.
Last edited by i love dirt track racing; 6/20/21 at 12:39 PM.

6/20/21, 10:43 AM   #9
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Yeah, I have to tip my purple cap to my late father. He got me hooked when I was a little guy, too. We lived in Detroit and I can remember standing on the Belle Isle Bridge looking through the slats in the railing. I was too small to see over the top. We were watching the APBA Gold Cup for the unlimited hydroplanes. This was 1965....? I was five years old. Ron Musson won driving the green and yellow Miss Bardahl. Sadly he was one of the drivers who lost his life the next year in DC.

But I can still hear the sounds of those boats to this day, and the excitement there was to be had.
SVM, I was right there with you only in 61 thru 62, my office was just outside the gates to Ft Mcnair, where the Potomac and the Anacostia merge, we lived just across the river for 2 years, and my heart had to put up with all the sounds those 2 years, we went to the Presidents Cup Regatta those 2 years, man what excitement, I had a friend that helped on MISS Madison, and in 62 there was a guy there with a Corvair powered boat, don't remember the class, but he really stomped butt, may have been there in 61 too. Thanks for bringing that up, I also went to the ones in Indiana often.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Stevensville Mike, tirespinner
6/20/21, 12:40 PM   #10
chop

For me growing up it was race trips with my dad. Butler on Saturday nights. Sundays at Kalamazoo for the old tri-sac time period. A special road trip was Warsaw or Eldora. The early days of SOD.
When I became a dad it was 1/4 midgets and go-kart races.
So to all dad's have a great day and see you at the races.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Father's Day