IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OLD BALL PARK-16th st
2/14/13, 5:55 PM   #1
OLD BALL PARK-16th st
billyb

Anybody know whats going on at the 16st ball park, I went by Sun.on the way to the World of Wheels and seen all kinds of construction and building going on what used to be the grandstands? looks pretty amazing, all glass. Going to ba a ball park or what. Last time I was there was when they was running the Midgets.(Tony George & Ed Carpenter) Somebody spending some bucks.

2/14/13, 6:00 PM   #2
Re: OLD BALL PARK-16th st
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
Anybody know whats going on at the 16st ball park, I went by Sun.on the way to the World of Wheels and seen all kinds of construction and building going on what used to be the grandstands? looks pretty amazing, all glass. Going to ba a ball park or what. Last time I was there was when they was running the Midgets.(Tony George & Ed Carpenter) Somebody spending some bucks.
I went by there a couple of months ago. They are building condos from what I have been told. Certainly is improving the looks of the neighborhood. However, I still wish that they could have made a go of that. Good midget racing and the ole ball yard provided a scenic backdrop. However, you never knew if your car would be there when you returned to the parking lot.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

2/14/13, 6:00 PM   #3
bike

condos

2/14/13, 8:21 PM   #4
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
I went by there a couple of months ago. They are building condos from what I have been told. Certainly is improving the looks of the neighborhood. However, I still wish that they could have made a go of that. Good midget racing and the ole ball yard provided a scenic backdrop. However, you never knew if your car would be there when you returned to the parking lot.
I went to damn near every race they had there. Loved it! It was close to home and the racing was great. It was dreadfully mismanaged though and thats the biggest reason they closed it. Mike I never had a single problem after the races in the parking lot. That neighborhood has a bad reputation but I cant remember any problems. Even after they shot off fireworks at 2AM

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

2/14/13, 9:16 PM   #5
Mud Packer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
I went to damn near every race they had there. Loved it! It was close to home and the racing was great. It was dreadfully mismanaged though and thats the biggest reason they closed it. Mike I never had a single problem after the races in the parking lot. That neighborhood has a bad reputation but I cant remember any problems. Even after they shot off fireworks at 2AM
I certainly didn't make as many shows there as you did John, but the neighborhood wasn't the best even back then. The neighbors didn't complain about the fireworks because they thought it was just regular gun fire.

I personally didn't have any problems either John. However, I have heard some of the stories from others that did. Even when the Indians played there, that area was not the best.

Your comment about mismanagement is right on. To bad since it could have been a real nice facility with some proper leadership.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
Last edited by Mud Packer; 2/14/13 at 9:18 PM.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
2/15/13, 12:14 AM   #6
racefan20

Mike if you remember the Speedway basically owned the place and it was the very end of the era where the Speedway had to do zero promotion to sell out IMS. Naturally they figured that 16th st would sell itself out just as easily. The nights they did promote, UAW night etc they packed the joint. The nights they didnt you could have shot a machine gun and not hit anyone. By the end they were drawing 200-300 a night and I knew half of them. In fact a bunch of people I know in racing I met there. Still the racing was exciting as hell, car count was never a problem and it was in the heart of open wheel racing. Such a damn shame.
Here is a race that was on Speedvision in 97.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
Last edited by racefan20; 2/15/13 at 12:46 AM.

2/15/13, 1:25 AM   #7
Bruce Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Mike if you remember the Speedway basically owned the place and it was the very end of the era where the Speedway had to do zero promotion to sell out IMS. Naturally they figured that 16th st would sell itself out just as easily.
I seem to remember an article in Open Wheel Magazine where Dave Cassidy admitted that very thing. I was there for opening night (that was the biggest trophy I've ever seen), and for the final night of Summer Sizzle. A racy little joint

2/15/13, 9:16 AM   #8
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

Just like John, Vicki & i hardly ever missed a race, 15 minutes from home & racey as he11! the only folks who hated the place were the car owners and the crack dealers, the owners for all the repairs they had to do afterwards and the dealers for not being able to hear the prices offered. Mis-management was the problem 100%, with the promotions guy spending his whole week just driving around in the convertible pace car and not hitting the radio & tv stations. I do remember Tony G.'s last words about the speedway, he said "with our huge p.r. dept. right down the street (at IMS) we could have done alot more to promote the track." To little, too late! We were only one lottery drawing away from saving the joint, cause if i would have hit a big powerball drawing, we would have still been racing there, bob.
p.s. NEVER had 1 problem in the parking lot, maybe cause they had good lighting and would leave them on awhile after the racing...unlike speedrome!

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
2/15/13, 9:48 AM   #9
Mud Packer

John & Bob,

I agree totally. Mismanagement and lack of PR sent this track to an early grave. Sure wish that it could have worked because the racing was great.

Mr. President, when you do win that big lottery, please buy any one of a number of speedways that are currently shuttered. God only knows what the future of some of these places might be.

2/15/13, 10:31 AM   #10
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
John & Bob,

I agree totally. Mismanagement and lack of PR sent this track to an early grave. Sure wish that it could have worked because the racing was great.

Mr. President, when you do win that big lottery, please buy any one of a number of speedways that are currently shuttered. God only knows what the future of some of these places might be.
It served it's purpose ,(seat time for a certain kid) and was closed.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OLD BALL PARK-16th st