IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 34 years ago today...
1/26/12, 5:18 PM   #1
34 years ago today...
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

...just a note to the local Hoosiers that 34 years ago today we were all butt deep in the largest snowfall to ever hit central Indiana, the "Blizzard of '78". Besides missing work and shoveling snow all day, it turned out to be the luckiest day of my life...it's the day i met my wife, Vicki, and 34 years later, with many more aches and pains, we still live happily ever after. boring to the rest of ya huh, oh well, let's go racin'. bob

1/26/12, 8:42 PM   #2
Re: 34 years ago today...
racefan20

And I was driving a van with a ton of sand in the back all over Muncie picking up and taking home doctors and nurses from Ball Hospital. Just me and the cops and what few 4 wheel drives there were back then. Slept in 2 hour intervals between shifts. My buddy and I had a big bottle of Jack stashed under the seat. Decided if we got stranded we wanted to die drunk

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

6 members like this post: Gregg, IndyBound, jim goerge, Mud Packer, ronmil, SprintManDave
1/26/12, 8:46 PM   #3
DICNJAN

congradulations bob and vicky ,,hope you have a great turnout this weekend

2 members like this post: ronmil, SprintManDave
1/26/12, 10:18 PM   #4
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Congratulations, Bob and Vicki! Hope you have 34 more happy years!

1/26/12, 11:06 PM   #5
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

I remember it well. With a day off of work, I was planning on doing nothing but spending time with my sons. About 10:00 AM my one son was lying on the floor in pain and screaming. We called for an ambulance and it took 3 hours to get him to the hospital. We lived about 3 miles away at the time.

The firemen and I passed him back and forth trying to get out of our addition to the ambulance which was on the main road. I remember the wind was so strong and the snow just kept coming. The snowplow we were following to the hospital got stuck and they had to come and dig it out. Once we got to the hospital, they told us that they were waiting for a doctor to arrive.

My son ending up having surgery and I am very appreciative of all the firemen, doctors, nurses, snow plow drivers etc... So many things we just take for granted.

I certainly don't need to see or live that again. We will leave that for steiny, racegal, Tim and the rest of our northern IOWers.

Bob, I am also hoping for another 34 happy years for both you and Vicki. I understand that boring is good.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

4 members like this post: jim goerge, racefan20, ronmil, Tim Watson
1/26/12, 11:28 PM   #6
Danny Burton

34 years? Rookies!

34 years ago this newlywed probably had trouble deciding whether or not to wear a jacket outside---in Phoenix, AZ.

My dad did send me some great pictures.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

1/27/12, 2:11 AM   #7
Gregg

I was still living with my parents. I came home after an evenings work. Got stuck halfway up my parents driveway, put the emergency brake on and called it a night.

The next day was a holiday from work mandated by our county sheriff. Some holiday; spent half the day digging out. Then I spent even more time trying to get my car to move with the emergency brake now frozen in the engaged position. My biggest lesson back then; if you really need an emergency brake, a cinder block behind a rear wheel can't be beat. Biggest fear? Will I be able to party the coming weekend?

1/27/12, 9:27 AM   #8
dkdorkboy

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 52

2 days before my 16th birthday.Came home from bball practice the nite before with rain and temps very warm.Woke up at 4 in the morn and thought the house was going to blow away.With the winds and snow we couldn't see the neighbors house across the road.Spent a week cooped up in the house with my sister boy did i want to strangle her.34 years later I am leaving for a Carribean cruise and dreamin about the race seoson getting started.Good day to all IOW'S

1/27/12, 12:57 PM   #9
terrehautian

Wasn't there then, but find it extremely funny when people freak out over 6-8" of snow around here and go buy the store out of milk, eggs and bread like they will be stuck inside for weeks. I wish Indiana would get a good dumping (12-15") of snow.

1/27/12, 4:19 PM   #10
TQ29m

You forgot toilet paper!!

---------- Post added at 3:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:12 PM ----------

The last big one before that, in 1961, I was in Ft Leonard Wood, Mo, waiting on my future mate to show up, and the sun was out, and the phones were busy, and you couldn't take 10 steps, till you had so much mud caked on, your gooloshes were pulling of, 5 buckles at that! Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 34 years ago today...