IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Too Fast
3/17/17, 11:07 PM   #21
Re: Too Fast
Eric Smith

Making the track slick will not only slow everyone down and make it a little safer, it generally makes the racing much better. Fast usually means freight train. So fast and boring. Slow and slick usually means passing and slide jobs galore.

3 members like this post: Can26, PIT CART, Scott Daloisio
3/18/17, 12:27 AM   #22
okie

they tried dry some years back and it was a no show the real winner was the tire truck

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, interpreter66
3/18/17, 12:33 AM   #23
ernart3

In my opinoion the biggest problem with Belleville and midgets is its so hard on motors so it's hard to get cars to want to run there. Then they up the start pay and get a bunch of cars that are running 30mph slower just to get start money and that is dangerous. I don't know what you can do to fix it but a big track like that there is too big of a difference in a ecotech and a national car. Just my opinion

3/18/17, 7:08 AM   #24
BrentTFunk

The midgets are on the schedule in August, so my guess is they can't get sprint car groups to run.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
3/18/17, 9:52 AM   #25
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6967 View Post
josh burton got killed at Bloomington, is that track too big?
I thought that was part failure, damaged in an earlier wreck? If I had the option to trade away these revered tracks, for even one of these guys, to have them back with us, I would without hesitation. I'd trade ALL the Bellevilles, the Winchesters, the Eldora's, the Knoxville's, the u-name-it's to get BC or Josh or anyone back. The notion that the throttle works two ways being the answer is absurd and demonstrates a complete devaluation of a man's life and a lack of understanding. We aren't risking our lives to cure a disease or to win freedom for oppressed people, its entertainment. Sure it's a passionate endeavor, but continuing to allow the sacrifice of others to go on wasted is unjustifiably wrong. Now I'm not advocating bulldozing per se, but if drivers are making a stand, for whatever reason then WE all should listen and do what's needed to improve the situation. If it's lighting then refuse to run until there is better lighting. If it's something else like making certain ultra light parts illegal, then we should do something. Otherwise, their ultimate sacrifice and all the tribute videos are an insulting waste, it's no different than throwing them on a pile of trash and walking away. To do nothing and dare say, "it's tradition", is disgusting. To idly watch young talent snuffed out over and over is unforgivable.

It doesn't have to be this way, it could be better, much better. Try harder.
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 3/18/17 at 10:21 AM.

3 members like this post: Jonr, markmckeon, R A K
3/18/17, 10:08 AM   #26
chastaj

Technology advancements will eventually overcome any limitations that are implemented. Look at NHRA. Cars were getting too fast and after they lost Kalita they shortened the track from 1320 to 1000. They are now running faster in 1000 than most were in 1320 a few years ago. Everyone who keeps saying to slicken the track are way off basis. Racing is an extreme sport, and the ultimate tragedy can unfortunately happen. This thing we love can bite you, but that's part of attraction. To me slick tracks = burt up tires, overheated brakes and over reved motors till stuff breaks. I personally have lost 3 motors in last couple years and it was never on tacky fast tracks.

3 members like this post: Chris Baue, CRA91, fish
3/18/17, 10:59 AM   #27
R A K

Vision/reaction time is the biggest danger present in modern era racing.
(Improved) lighting, race control communication, etc. must be addressed. Incentives by some that have been personally affected by tragedy are being considered for implementation. I thank these folks for their unselfishness in light of tragedy. It is sincerely appreciated.

5 members like this post: 2starcar, Kansasdirtfan, Pat O'Connor Fan, Scooter, wideopen24
3/18/17, 1:21 PM   #28
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
I thought that was part failure, damaged in an earlier wreck? If I had the option to trade away these revered tracks, for even one of these guys, to have them back with us, I would without hesitation. I'd trade ALL the Bellevilles, the Winchesters, the Eldora's, the Knoxville's, the u-name-it's to get BC or Josh or anyone back. The notion that the throttle works two ways being the answer is absurd and demonstrates a complete devaluation of a man's life and a lack of understanding. We aren't risking our lives to cure a disease or to win freedom for oppressed people, its entertainment. Sure it's a passionate endeavor, but continuing to allow the sacrifice of others to go on wasted is unjustifiably wrong. Now I'm not advocating bulldozing per se, but if drivers are making a stand, for whatever reason then WE all should listen and do what's needed to improve the situation. If it's lighting then refuse to run until there is better lighting. If it's something else like making certain ultra light parts illegal, then we should do something. Otherwise, their ultimate sacrifice and all the tribute videos are an insulting waste, it's no different than throwing them on a pile of trash and walking away. To do nothing and dare say, "it's tradition", is disgusting. To idly watch young talent snuffed out over and over is unforgivable.

Thank you!!!

3/18/17, 6:35 PM   #29
sp6967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post

but if it wasn't for these revered tracks you would have never known them at all.

1 member likes this post: sprinter14
3/18/17, 9:51 PM   #30
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6967 View Post
but if it wasn't for these revered tracks you would have never known them at all.
That is an unprovable argument. There are plenty of other tracks that provide outstanding racing w/o such a high fatality rate. Before you come back with somebody has died or been seriously injured at most every track, I know that, but in a lot of cases changes have been made to try and deal with those issues. Bottom line, there is room for improvement and leaving these men's ultimate sacrifice unanswered is horrific. A youtube video, although a nice gesture, it does NOT equal a man's life.

"History", "Tradition", "It takes balls", "It separates the men from the boys", "He died doing what he loves" are hollow cliche's, they don't bring back a son, or a father, or a husband, or a husband to be. It doesn't restore mobility to your limbs, it doesn't bring back your ability to freakin' feed yourself or got to the bathroom on your own. These sayings we so often use, they don't justify the unthinkable. The aftermath when things go wrong is far from glamorous or glorious, if you survive it can mean perpetual care in some forgotten nursing facility. No cheering crowds, no victory lane photos, just blank looking stares and inaudible groans and smells the turn your stomach. This needs to be fixed.

1 member likes this post: the visitor
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Too Fast