IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Hkamp1982 (Offline)
  #11 12/13/16 5:23 PM
I watched a video interview with Kevin Gundaker earlier and he said this dirt was some of the same dirt they have used for monster jam and the supercross.
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #12 12/13/16 5:44 PM
I've been watching vids of them building the track and it's like was said above. Gundaker building the track and it being 7000 Cubic Yards of the same they use for Supercross. It looks to be built right, layered, watered and packed at each stage. Should have a few practice vids up either tonight or tomorrow on Facebook.

It'll be a challenge to keep a LM on the bottom of that track as the inside is no bigger than Du Quoin's the outside looks racy If your going to run the bottom at St. Louis, They'll be backing them in.

Charles Nungester
Simon_says17 (Offline)
  #13 12/13/16 6:48 PM
Originally Posted by illiNOISE:
Despite being from the STL (I'm four miles from the Dome as I type this), I will be at DuQuoin. I wish the Dome race all the best, but given the flatness of the track, coupled with the staggering car count (which will make track farming almost impossible, due to time constraints),I just fear it will be a horribly locked down, huggy pole parade.

I'm 12 minutes from downtown and I too have similar thoughts and concerns about the Dome race, but hope it turns out to be a great show. I'm not a big late model or modified guy by any stretch but it would be good to have an awesome indoor race right in my backyard. Good for the city as well if it turned out to be great racing and an annual type deal (hotels, accommodations, restaurants, etc.).

Some are saying we need to give this race the benefit of the doubt and what not, which is fine I hope it works out, but I already gave these same promoters my money for the indoor race in Indiana. In my eyes, they have some redeeming to do before they get any of my business again.

But i have hope for the Dome race because there is actually room in there to make a track. BLF didn't have enough width to make a track big enough to race on, and the race shouldn't have ever happened there. Do it right or don't do it all. It just hurts the sport to have abysmal failures like the Indy Indoors race was. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Hope it's not just a money grab from the promoters.
3 Likes: i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, wrtracing
dirt40 (Offline)
  #14 12/13/16 7:59 PM
The 4 of us will be in St. Louis on Friday and if it sucks then 2 of us will be at DuQuoin on Saturday
Quantrill (Offline)
  #15 12/13/16 9:04 PM
We are going to both. Friday the Dome, Sat Deqoin
ModernDayDrifter (Offline)
  #16 12/13/16 10:45 PM
Count me in the party that is doing both. PPV from home on Thursday, leave Friday morning when I get off work to go to STL. Staying at Drury Inn at the Convention Center so we will do Friday night at the Dome. I have tickets for both days, but will be doing the Midget race at DuQuoin and attempting to make it back in time to catch the final feature at the Dome. May be a long shot, but its next door to our hotel anyway.
2 Likes: i love dirt track racing, Simon_says17
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #17 12/13/16 10:51 PM
There's a video here with Wallace and a LM running a little on the St. Lous Track
https://www.facebook.com/GatewayDirt...c_ref=NEWSFEED

Charles Nungester
2 Likes: JDFAST, jim goerge
JDFAST (Offline)
  #18 12/13/16 11:13 PM
How good is the midget racing at Du Quoin for a PPV viewers ?

Who would think, a dirt track fan would have a choice of where to watch a race in person in the Midwest in December That's what you call a good problem, but i think for everyone involved the promoters could work together and not schedule against each other.

Wishing safe travels, great racing for all those attending races this weekend

cheers
2 Likes: jdull99, Rochesterdj
Jack Dupp (Offline)
  #19 12/14/16 12:14 AM
The Kenny Wallace video that Nungester posted looks very promising. Being an open wheel guy, I'll be at DuQuoin. Hopefully the Dome racing goes well. I might just show up on a prelim night next year.
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, jim goerge, wrtracing
JDK222 (Offline)
  #20 12/14/16 12:18 AM
I need to apologize for defending Indy Indoors prior to the event. A lot of smart people told me it would be a joke, I argued it's better than nothing! I was wrong, nothing would have been better and my bank account was about 200.00 dollars less after the night. The only saving grace from the night being that I was semi buzzed from the carbon monoxide during the ride home. Never again will I be a sucker for an unproven indoor event. The so called test I saw showed 1 car on the track, hmmm? You are not going to race with 1 car on the track at a time. If you really wanted to be accurate you would put 8 cars are on the track at the same time. The 8 cars should consist of 2 really good cars/drivers, 4 weekend warriors, and 2 guys that have never been on a racetrack before. Pill draw for starting position and have at it. That would have been an accurate test.

Jason D. Keefer