IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Cat is out of the bag
11/7/09, 8:42 PM   #31
Re: The Cat is out of the bag
Danny Burton

Not only that, Jim, but having Emmett moving this along might make a difference?

How's the Santa bidness?

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

11/7/09, 8:58 PM   #32
captrat

Well, I hope this doesn't come off as an old timer lamenting the past, but do we really think that multiple sanctioning bodies vying for the same participants and fans is a good idea? Often on this site there are remarks about "the good old days" particularly as it relates to USAC in the 60's and 70's. I would respectfully postulate that the reason these were halcyon days was that there was a focus on fewer organizations with a true ladder to the so-called big leagues. We now seem intent on eating our young with more and more series, tire contracts, etc. I would hope that USAC abd other non-wing followerrs would see this an opportunity to actually fill a niche which if handled correctly could grow larger. Winged racing, like many aspects is having competition devoured by aerodynamics which make for less and less passing. Hell, watch a Dick Wallen video from Eldora from the 70's even during a day race; no dust, cars backin' it in, etc. Now contrast that today with a winged race from the same place: rubber down, dust, and not a front wheel turned toward the fence. Looks like Winchester, just no macadam. So keep the wings off, reduce some of the body work, and actually make USAC racing a different animal from the all the others. As in all things which are successful, one must find itsm own niche and mine it, not copy others who are already in trouble!

11/8/09, 10:14 AM   #33
Need For Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Well, I hope this doesn't come off as an old timer lamenting the past, but do we really think that multiple sanctioning bodies vying for the same participants and fans is a good idea? Often on this site there are remarks about "the good old days" particularly as it relates to USAC in the 60's and 70's. I would respectfully postulate that the reason these were halcyon days was that there was a focus on fewer organizations with a true ladder to the so-called big leagues. We now seem intent on eating our young with more and more series, tire contracts, etc. I would hope that USAC abd other non-wing followerrs would see this an opportunity to actually fill a niche which if handled correctly could grow larger. Winged racing, like many aspects is having competition devoured by aerodynamics which make for less and less passing. Hell, watch a Dick Wallen video from Eldora from the 70's even during a day race; no dust, cars backin' it in, etc. Now contrast that today with a winged race from the same place: rubber down, dust, and not a front wheel turned toward the fence. Looks like Winchester, just no macadam. So keep the wings off, reduce some of the body work, and actually make USAC racing a different animal from the all the others. As in all things which are successful, one must find itsm own niche and mine it, not copy others who are already in trouble!
There is a whole lot of common sense and truth in the above post!!

3 members like this post: mtek56, Pat O'Connor Fan, SUPERDUKE
11/8/09, 11:32 AM   #34
Pat O'Connor Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O. View Post
We'll just have to see what "big" announcement he actually makes in Charlotte.
Here is Tony's BFD: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...g-adds-driver/

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Cat is out of the bag