IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana track wars...
4/17/24, 7:22 PM   #11
Re: Indiana track wars...
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Guy View Post
What time will a track start? Does it start on time? How much effort goes into track prep through the week? How bright are the track lights? How do the speakers sound at a track? Can you hear the announcer? Does the track have a scoreboard? Is a track taking an excessive intermission? Are concessions priced fairly and taste good? WHAT TIME are tracks getting done with feature events?
Hammer swung, nail hit on head.

4/17/24, 7:51 PM   #12
bighd0522

Could it be the overall cost 💰💰, lack of sponsors,fuel, those fine hoosier tires,diesel fuel to get to the track etc ,etc! Not to long ago bloomington had 30+ in multiple classes, gas city also on the same night, same for paragon and putnamville

4 members like this post: flagboy55, PIT CART, tirespinner, TQ97
4/18/24, 1:07 PM   #13
Hubie48

Great Post!

The next Jeff Gordon idea has kind of run it's course. It's a shame, Seavey and Grant have gobs of talent.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
4/18/24, 8:24 PM   #14
brown11b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubie48 View Post
Great Post!

The next Jeff Gordon idea has kind of run it's course. It's a shame, Seavey and Grant have gobs of talent.
Seavey had his shot in Nascar in the truck series and running ARCA

4/19/24, 7:51 AM   #15
EldoraMark

When local drivers say that they can't compete against USAC it's a driver that doesn't want to improve his skills. Levi Jones said if he had that attitude that he wouldn't have been a seven time champion. Levi said he learned how to go faster by following those leaders. Learning how to navigated in traffic and how to drive in different track conditions.

4/19/24, 9:02 AM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoraMark View Post
When local drivers say that they can't compete against USAC it's a driver that doesn't want to improve his skills. Levi Jones said if he had that attitude that he wouldn't have been a seven time champion. Levi said he learned how to go faster by following those leaders. Learning how to navigated in traffic and how to drive in different track conditions.
That's very true, However most of your weekly teams are teams that if the car gets damaged, they're out weeks due to cost of replacements.

. As I said in my USAC teams post. Most are dedicated, there to win and have spares. if they're running a weekly show, its mainly for testing.

Two ways of doing it. Get good at your local tracks, Find the backing and go race USAC. Or Get the backing and go race USAC until you can beat them.

I remember Shatz was the first one lapped for a couple years if he even made the feature. But he had the backing and went and raced against the best, Until he was "THE BEST"

2 members like this post: Leohr46, TQ97
4/20/24, 9:36 AM   #17
Fat RR

Your post is exactly on point! Hope every promoter sees it and gives it some thought.

4/20/24, 9:42 AM   #18
Fat RR

Exactly daed on!

4/21/24, 8:20 AM   #19
TQ97

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoraMark View Post
I suppose one could say that. One could also say that the cost and equipment to be competitive with USAC are far greater than when Levi started out. The USAC regulars have 2-4 $30k car; 3-5 $50k+ engines in rotation being freshened after 10 nights and 2 new $350 tires on every night. I have over $100k wrapped up in our small local team between a complete car, spare roller, add’l parts and trailer and trying to make a $35k engine last all year before a $15k refresh. It costs me no less than $1k each night to unload the car for a local race - probably closer to $1500, honestly I’ve quit counting so my common sense financially doesn’t force me to sell out. A USAC top guy told me last week he can’t race for under $5k to win because they’d be guaranteed to lose money. If you’d like to write me a $50k check for a 2nd engine and another $50k check for tires and travel cost I’ll be glad to commit to the USAC races within 300 miles of Indy. Also, I’ll need another $50-75k to hire someone to work on the car during the week as I work 50+ hours a week to cover my expense and to set it up at the track because I suck at setup decisions - ask my driver if you doubt me. We don’t go to USAC races not because we aren’t trying to get better, we don’t go because it’s a waste of what resources we do have.
Last edited by TQ97; 4/21/24 at 9:41 AM.

4/21/24, 9:24 AM   #20
sp6967

just because you race with usac and have a boat load of money doesn't mean you are gonna win. i have seen a lot, excuse me, more than a lot of guys with a boat load of money race with usac for a very long time and not improve in the driving department. you need to start with at least a little talent, that's when the boat load of money cames in.
Last edited by sp6967; 4/21/24 at 9:26 AM.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana track wars...