IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Question About Steve Kinser
7/24/09, 9:11 AM   #31
Re: Question About Steve Kinser
bigmojo5

Watch for a story about Steve in the next issue of the Hawkeye Racing News. Also, there's one on Doug Clark, the Knoxville flagman.
Jim Morrison

7/24/09, 3:35 PM   #32
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

Sorry to sharp shoot you quick change but Kenny Weld was the first one to win with both wings and non-wings, 1973 was the first wing nationals till 1981.

7/24/09, 4:12 PM   #33
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodysmam View Post
it was paragon and he ran under the name mark todd.it was his first feature win at paragon and he came back to racing local.bob thompson took care of the usac car also,it was 69 and owned by elmer smith i believe.
car 49 elmer mayhew from danville ill in usac

7/24/09, 5:28 PM   #34
Panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
car 49 elmer mayhew from danville ill in usac
Hey Duke,
Is this the car?
This 'IS" Steve at Salem in 1977
Not a great picture, but HELL it was probably taken with a Kodak Instamatic and it is a 31 year old picture.

Here is a better one of Ol Bob at Salem in the Jerry Sheilds sprinter

7/24/09, 11:19 PM   #35
SpfldMile

There was a little race on the Springfield Mile back in 82 that was USAC vs. the Outlaws. The guys ran heats in sprints and dirt champ cars. The feature was in dirt champs. I remember Steve was hanging it out there pretty good in the big car. Danny Smith won one of the races in the Kenny Rogers car. Hewitt won the hundred lapper at the end. I have an old Open Wheel where Earl Baltes said he saw Steve Kinser drive the best race he had ever seen, in a dirt champ car.

7/24/09, 11:25 PM   #36
DIRT-TRACK-JUNKIE

Panama you have some great pics. I'd like to get my hands on them. Steve is the best ever. They don't call him "THE KING" for nothing. He is.

7/24/09, 11:44 PM   #37
somebodysmam

you are right about the 49 car. I'm old and forget somethings

7/24/09, 11:45 PM   #38
Fisher79

Quote:
Originally Posted by psullivan View Post
Vukie's recollection of the Gary Scott tragedy brings up for me, a real irony. I was at Knoxville the very next Saturday night program after Gary died -- Bob Trostle - who had great influence at that time - had told Ralph Capitani that if the wings didn't come on, he for one would not come back. So when that Saturday rolled around and the wing cars came out for hot laps - several long time fans just got up and left in disgust. Now, while the worm is turning just a bit, if it isn't winged sprint cars at Knoxville on Saturday night the regular crowd isn't all that interested.
I'm all for non-wing stuff, but from what I know of that time period at Knoxville going to the wings was probably the right move. If you've heard any of the details of Scott's wreck or the Darryl Dawley / Roger Larson double fatal, they were not pretty to see. I think in Dave's first book there's a chapter in there about Trostle and he states he'd seen 10 guys killed at Knoxville in a something like a 15- or 20-year span.

With today's safety improvements, I reckon things might be a lot better now if they took the wings off on a regular basis, but back then Knoxville was a widowmaker even worse than it is now.

7/24/09, 11:54 PM   #39
slide22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher79 View Post
I'm all for non-wing stuff, but from what I know of that time period at Knoxville going to the wings was probably the right move. If you've heard any of the details of Scott's wreck or the Darryl Dawley / Roger Larson double fatal, they were not pretty to see. I think in Dave's first book there's a chapter in there about Trostle and he states he'd seen 10 guys killed at Knoxville in a something like a 15- or 20-year span.

With today's safety improvements, I reckon things might be a lot better now if they took the wings off on a regular basis, but back then Knoxville was a widowmaker even worse than it is now.
In Wolfgang's book he talks about pulling Darryl's severed hand off the header... crazy stuff.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Question About Steve Kinser