IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cheever and Goodyear. No friends to Openwheel
5/20/15, 9:42 AM   #1
Cheever and Goodyear. No friends to Openwheel
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I heard their comments on Qualifying day saying that short track drivers can no longer compete at indy level.

Wow, I've since heard that they are continuing these comments on radio shows, Indycar programing.

With Openwheel friends like this, Who need's enemies? And they wonder why they almost can't fill a 33 entry grid.

BC has turned competitive laps. And been fast enough You've got 15 teams out there that got 40 years of engineering data to fall back on. Somethings happening in the car that isn't transferring to the extra two or three mph they need. At those speeds it could be a stick of gum in the sidepod creating drag.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/20/15 at 9:46 AM.

5/20/15, 10:18 AM   #2
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Yeah Charles ....
I heard the same crap too !
where do they think that Ed Carpenter cut his teeth? They disrespect us and our sport.
I hope Carpenter & BC both, makes them eat Crow on Raceday!

I don't hear Hamilton stepping up and going to bat for them either unless I missed that!

Too bad that 2 Americans had to battle for the last spot.
But at least there are more than just a few running in it this year. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

5/20/15, 11:45 AM   #3
1021gpa

Them guys are idiots need to get rid of both of them

5/20/15, 1:10 PM   #4
grumpy racer

I worked at team Menard when Cheever was in one of the cars he is one of the most disrespectful, egotistical, ******** to ever drive a Indy car. He treated everyone like crap and John Menard almost parked him just before the race. Scott I don't know was gone from Walker racing already when I was there but does surprise me he is talking like this. There is a way to voice your displeasure call the speedway or post on there web about these to idiots. As everyone knows talent gets overlooked at Indy car all you need is a wheelbarrow full of money. Hope Bryan and Edd do well but deck is stacked against them. Would not hurt for Davey H. To have talk with Indy Car and speedway about this.

5/20/15, 4:10 PM   #5
Re: Cheever and Goodyear. No friends to Openwheel
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I heard their comments on Qualifying day saying that short track drivers can no longer compete at indy level.

Wow, I've since heard that they are continuing these comments on radio shows, Indycar programing.

With Openwheel friends like this, Who need's enemies? And they wonder why they almost can't fill a 33 entry grid.

BC has turned competitive laps. And been fast enough You've got 15 teams out there that got 40 years of engineering data to fall back on. Somethings happening in the car that isn't transferring to the extra two or three mph they need. At those speeds it could be a stick of gum in the sidepod creating drag.
From the book "Stand on the Gas" by Joe Scalzo, 1972

"to which Johnny Rutherford replied, "Driving sprint cars does not teach you how to drive an Indy car. It teaches you how to be a Race Driver."

Tim Simmons

5/20/15, 4:51 PM   #6
flagboy55

I couldn't agree with you guys more. While I respect what they have done at the speedway, thoughts like what you guys have described are ludicrous! I must reiterate what I have stated in the past. Sprints, midgets, and big cars have historically produced many of the greatest racers of all time. It's almost like they didn't do it so they got to be little it. If what they say is true, I ask how would they explain foyt, unsers, Andretti, Stewart, Gordon, and many others, cut from this cloth? And if you think Larson, bacon, sweet, and a number of todays young drivers couldn't do it, you're kidding yourself. The only thing these guys don't have is that magic money wheelbarrow!

5/20/15, 5:08 PM   #7
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
I couldn't agree with you guys more. While I respect what they have done at the speedway, thoughts like what you guys have described are ludicrous! I must reiterate what I have stated in the past. Sprints, midgets, and big cars have historically produced many of the greatest racers of all time. It's almost like they didn't do it so they got to be little it. If what they say is true, I ask how would they explain foyt, unsers, Andretti, Stewart, Gordon, and many others, cut from this cloth? And if you think Larson, bacon, sweet, and a number of todays young drivers couldn't do it, you're kidding yourself. The only thing these guys don't have is that magic money wheelbarrow!
Flagboy Man You have hit the nail right on the head Cheever and Goodyear couldn't carry most of our dirt trackers helmets

6 members like this post: Bostonian, flagboy55, Indy1808, nathans1012, rdzsprint, sprinter6p
5/20/15, 5:27 PM   #8
Jonr

I am not a fan of Cheever or Goodyear. I think that they are both egotistical jerks.

I did not hear any of their comments.

However, we all have to realize that there are two ways to get to Indy cars. 1. A barrel full of money. 2. Success in the formula series, indy lights, etc. The days of owners looking to the local dirt tracks for the next big thing are over. If it was not for the USAC/Indy car sponsorship money that BC won a couple of years ago that he would have never made the transition. We can complain all we want about how all of our favorites started on dirt, but times have changed.

To use an analogy, Kyle Larson, Rico Abru, and Christopher Bell have all made/ are making the transition from the local track to stock cars. None of them went from Eldora to the Daytona 500. Larson went from Eldora to late model pavement races to K and N East, to trucks, to Xfinity to Sprint Cup. Rico and Bell are now making the transition and are running late model pavement races and K and N East.

I hope that BC has a great race day. He is one of my favorite drivers. However, how many pavement races has he done this year? How many times has he been a car that was going 150mph or 175mph much less 225mph. Going from Eldora to the Indy 500 is a huge jump. The two jerks may have a point.

1 member likes this post: Racer 12
5/20/15, 5:35 PM   #9
chop

Well I would say this about Indy car racing. Did you see the number of people that they had at the track the road race a few weeks ago? They had more people at that baseball game they played in Baltimore. So I think they need to take a good look at what they are doing other then the 500 race. Be it the numb nuts in the booth to a lot of other things

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
5/20/15, 5:36 PM   #10
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

A shame, great talking heads for the Indy 500, but maybe a misspoken opinion about dirt trackers. It was ALWAYS the way to the big race to come up thru the dirt track ranks, how can they overlook that?

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, Indy1808, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cheever and Goodyear. No friends to Openwheel