IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
8/8/08, 12:34 AM   #11
Re: UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
agar

Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bherzog513 View Post
RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a bunch of bullcrap to post about nobody showing up for a race.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................. Catch fence is now subject...................are you f ing kidding me?????

I can post all kinds of back up to why everything that everyone is saying is not the reason for not racing.

If you dont have cars you cant have a race and that is what happend!!!!!! Usac is now working the press like George Bush?
47 midgets and 33 sprints sound like a very good field of cars

but as for the safety concerns did usac not go look at this track before they signed them to their schedule

sounds like a big P.R. disaster

8/8/08, 12:34 AM   #12

yup u r right, plenty to read tomorrow. I am all for saftey don't take my posts wrong, but tonights saftey issues should have been handled weeks ago. its not like USAC is this brand new thing.:rolleyes: Man i hate to think how much money was spent on PR now the track got 2000 new fans in there and there made out to be terrible. maybe if they painted there walls and had a fancy score board drivers would have liked it better

8/8/08, 12:35 AM   #13
Hanna23

There were 48 midgets there. Also when the sprints finally got on track, it was an immediate dust bowl. Shame the grader is growning a tree out of it. Could have used it on the track. I was there and all I ever saw was a water truck. No other track prep. Would have been another one of the great races that no one sees like at Kamp.

8/8/08, 1:00 AM   #14

grader and other equipment was in the back

8/8/08, 1:36 AM   #15
Hanna23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
grader and other equipment was in the back
Still would have been nice to see it on the track working. And maybe have the water truck make a run or two through the pits.... I watched several drivers having to dodge people. :thumbsdown:

8/8/08, 2:02 AM   #16
Jerry Shaw

You guys are absolutely right about one thing. The fact that this happened falls squarely on the shoulders of all of those who put this show together. Promoters and sanctioning body. This should have been inspected before hand and this never should have happened. Especially since were talking about a track that race teams had refused to race on, in the past, due to things that made it an unsafe racing environment.

And as bad as that ended up turning out, it wasn't the worst thing that happened tonight. That, IMO, would be the misguided individual that took the microphone and attempted to incite the crowd into turning against the race teams that were leaving, because of what they perceived to be safety issues. At one point calling them a bunch of young pansies and stating that AJ Foyt or Rich Vogler wouldn't be leaving, like they were. SAFETY TRUMPS EVERYTHING, IMO and you can blame whoever you want for what happened tonight, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for questioning the courage of the majority of the racers that voted to not race on this surface. Or the race teams that didn't want to put their drivers (young and old) in an unsafe situation.

But that's just one race fan's opinion.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

8/8/08, 2:09 AM   #17
AlkyMadness

Wow......seems I remember some IOW posts questioning some of these very issues months ago when the open wheel events were announced for Union County.

Didn't MSCS cancel a show scheduled for there a month or so ago?

8/8/08, 3:03 AM   #18
TopFuel

Come on......Seriously ??? Why was this race on the USAC schedule, if the track has all these "safety" issues ??? Yeh Yeh Yeh....... Suface this, dustbowl that, no catch fence here, an old grader there ????? I don't get it ??? I know that the USAC office is over 1000 miles away, so I know that no one could've checked the place out beforehand.:rolling

767 said USAC let the drivers vote.... I was told the owners made the decision ???
Was there anyone up there when they had this discussion ??????
I wasn't in the USAC meeting and I'm not an owner. I talked to Ballou and he had no problem with the track.

Does anyone remember why people started attending sprint and midget races in the first place ????

Maybe some of the drivers and owners who backed out should look into it !!!

Ha Ha Ha.... What a deal.......What a deal !!

I feel sorry for Tony Barhorst, and I wanna know what Don Moore thinks about this. :icon_smile_blackeye

Thanks again.

8/8/08, 3:04 AM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I will not apologize for never going to another USAC show.

The fact that not one of you USAC Guys could get on the PA, Give your reason and a sincere regret for not being able to hold it is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Not to mention calling in ever state police officer within a hundred miles. I felt like I was at a Blues Brothers Concert surrounded by a shotgun every 5ft.

I took a risk getting to the track, You not only killed a class that was on life support in most of Indiana you DAMAGED THE TRACKS and PROMOTORS That will host you. As said before this should have never happened the way it did.
Im all for safety but you'll run tracks too dusty for the flagman to see the wreck on the backstraight only to cause pile ups ect. Run Kamp with a 40 drop off turn 4 and no catch fence. Even Rex Norris flipped out of it and you didn't see it.

You removed a qualified competition director and then turn around and do this on race day? Yet I heard a dozen people blaming him.

Sorry but this is the third time I've taken vacation for sunny days this year not to see a schedualled race.. Let alone all the other screw ups of the past.

We stuck around and seen that what was left was only 1/4th the show we came to see and ultimately took the last chance to get a refund. I respect them guys, Westfall, Levi, Bland and the others. Even Don Moore for realizing theres more to racing than being selfish and not taking their fans into account!

If they weren't going to run at the very least USAC should have gave everyone with a Union County Ticket stub a pass to any one of the remaining events. Thats the only thing that would have apeased the situation.

Instead you created a situation, Making your fans prisoners. 65 state troopers and police and I didn't see one act of violence or aggression. We're race fans.

WEVE BEEN SCREWED BEFORE!
By USAC, NEVER AGAIN!

Chuck, who will not apologize for this post. I skipped my mothers birthday to take my father to the event to be surrounded by cops and left in the dark.

8/8/08, 3:10 AM   #20
TopFuel

Why can't we put Greg Staab in charge over everyone at USAC and start over fresh. I know he can delegate responsibility better than anyone.

Thanks again.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week