IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Night Before The 500
5/26/14, 2:08 PM   #31
on_the_edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
1- Would never work for or around any organization that puts money in front of safety...

2- I did not have all the answers / nor do I claim to ever have.... I worked with a group of racers ..Men like Mike Devin, Gary Sakola, John Capels, Greg Staubb, Arnold Edgar, Norm Shields, all racers....they were men of their word, men that had a passion for racing...men that ALWAYS put safety first...basically the key word is they were MEN!!!
My point was why don't you be constructive in your comments about USAC instead of just telling everyone how much you dislike them. Everyone knows the pavement stuff is dying that's obvious, but what do you think will make it come back to life? Im still relatively young and would like to attend USAC races the rest of my life where you can see the best of the best. Im not a big pavement guy but most of the USAC guys have to run more than once discipline to do it for a living, so again tell us what you think they need to do to improve the sport? All this bashing does nothing but drive people away from the track because many people view this board and see what is being posted so that makes up their mind that they will not support this "dying" club. Do you think they have their hand in to many different things? Obviously you feel Kevin Miller has a lot to do with it. Can the pavement stuff rebound or is it beyond gone? Should they just do away with it and focus their time and money into the dirt series? Should they branch out more and gain the true national meaning? I just want to know what you think needs to be done in order to turn it around.
Last edited by on_the_edge; 5/26/14 at 2:09 PM.

2 members like this post: fish, Hotrod
5/26/14, 11:11 PM   #32
Re: Night Before The 500
ossuks

1- You work a tire deal with a manufacturer, 1 compound RR and LR tire , let the tire company bid, that way there is some competition and the price will come down some.....tire prices are the key!! Hoosier gave a kick back to USAC to be the sole provider or tires and Gary Sakola gave that money back to the owners...where does that money go today ( see#4)!!

2- There are several motor choices under $35,000

3- Signed Honda as a sponsor but put 0 dollars back in the owners pocket? Where does that money go (see #4)

4- Cut the 1.5 million dollar USAC payroll, MSCS has one guy, MSR has one guy, POWER-I has 2 guys...

5- It cost around $2,000 to buy USAC memberships for a owner and his team members..Where does that money go (see #4)

6- Do away with entry fees, do POWER-I or WOO or MSCS 0r MSR charge an entry fee? USAC is the only organization in entertainment that charges its participants to participate!!!

7- Think about that again 1.5 million per year for payroll... LOOK IT UP, they are a non-profit organization and their payroll is public knowledge!! They pay the Sprint Car owner $10,000 to win the National Championship,,,Kevin make $250,000 per season!!!!

Yes, I have no respect for the debacle that is on west 16th street....Hopefully they will soon self implode and someone will come along and give the racers what they deserve.
Last edited by ossuks; 5/27/14 at 8:13 AM.

5/26/14, 11:21 PM   #33
vitron

All good points, but most do charge an entry fee, including power-I . It's 30 bucks to pull the pill.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
5/26/14, 11:26 PM   #34
ossuks

Thank you, they must have started that practice since my retirement. Is there a fee for transponders?
Last edited by ossuks; 5/26/14 at 11:31 PM.

5/26/14, 11:28 PM   #35
ossuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitron View Post
All good points, but most do charge an entry fee, including power-I . It's 30 bucks to pull the pill.
opps!
Last edited by ossuks; 5/26/14 at 11:31 PM.

5/26/14, 11:30 PM   #36
ShamrockRacin'48G

Wow....1.5 million payroll, that's a lotta money to organize races when owners and drivers seem to need every dollar they can get to survive...

1 member likes this post: team3521
5/27/14, 12:04 AM   #37
quicktime3

I'd love to see a breakdown of this 1.5M. That sounds like a number you made up & thought would get a reaction. And it looks like a pavement midget owner can license for $250. Same for driver. I guess maybe all your numbers are inflated. That's higher than it should be, but nowhere close to your numbers.

And it's rare to find any form of racing without an entry fee anymore. Sorry.

Don't take this as an approval of Kevin Miller. But your sour grapes and embellishment and probable made-up claims make it pretty understandable why he cut you.

2 members like this post: captrat, fish
5/27/14, 8:29 AM   #38
ossuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktime3 View Post
I'd love to see a breakdown of this 1.5M. That sounds like a number you made up & thought would get a reaction. And it looks like a pavement midget owner can license for $250. Same for driver. I guess maybe all your numbers are inflated. That's higher than it should be, but nowhere close to your numbers.

And it's rare to find any form of racing without an entry fee anymore. Sorry.

Don't take this as an approval of Kevin Miller. But your sour grapes and embellishment and probable made-up claims make it pretty understandable why he cut you.
When I left it was 1.2 million , est, raises and additional employees and it could be higher than ,,1.5?
Most drivers have a combo license that was $700 if it has not went up! $250 to register the car, then the owner and 3-5 crew members, throw in your wife, $2000 pretty close, some will spend more, few will spend less!!
There is no question why he cut me, I gave him a choice....told him I would not work any events without a ALS unit (advanced life support).

5/27/14, 12:39 PM   #39
on_the_edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
1- You work a tire deal with a manufacturer, 1 compound RR and LR tire , let the tire company bid, that way there is some competition and the price will come down some.....tire prices are the key!! Hoosier gave a kick back to USAC to be the sole provider or tires and Gary Sakola gave that money back to the owners...where does that money go today ( see#4)!!

2- There are several motor choices under $35,000

3- Signed Honda as a sponsor but put 0 dollars back in the owners pocket? Where does that money go (see #4)

4- Cut the 1.5 million dollar USAC payroll, MSCS has one guy, MSR has one guy, POWER-I has 2 guys...

5- It cost around $2,000 to buy USAC memberships for a owner and his team members..Where does that money go (see #4)

6- Do away with entry fees, do POWER-I or WOO or MSCS 0r MSR charge an entry fee? USAC is the only organization in entertainment that charges its participants to participate!!!

7- Think about that again 1.5 million per year for payroll... LOOK IT UP, they are a non-profit organization and their payroll is public knowledge!! They pay the Sprint Car owner $10,000 to win the National Championship,,,Kevin make $250,000 per season!!!!

Yes, I have no respect for the debacle that is on west 16th street....Hopefully they will soon self implode and someone will come along and give the racers what they deserve.
Those are things that are constructive and make sense. Ideas are better than bashing and people from USAC read this board maybe those things will be taken back into consideration. Things I see that would help rebound the USAC name.

1. Larger purses for the drivers. Now drivers are having to work and race in order to survive in this world. 4,5, and 8k on fine to win but drivers need more incentive to show up.

2. A tire pricing program for their drivers. USAC should have enough pull with Hoosier tire to have set prices for USAC members.

3. Bring back the contingency prizes for every race now just certain ones throughout the year. Make the drivers advertise the USAC product sponsors. Getting product names on all the cars is a marketable technic for example the WOO make all drivers place all series sponsors on certain parts of the car.

4. Make sure all members are involved in changes within the organization. Give them a voice and know what is good for all not just what is thought to be good by some. Have a ballot vote on changes to be made and make sure everyone feels like their opinion matters.

5. The point about Kevin Miller making 250k a year seems excessive since I don't recall seeing him at the races interacting with the people who keep USAC going aka the drivers and owners. The people in charge need to be out there and listen to what the members are saying and just the fact then being there showing they care. Im sure he is busy and has a lot of office work, but needs to let his presence be known.

6. I feel like the pavement series is dead because it cost to much money and does not pay enough to run. Can they limit the amount of tires that can be used in a night to curb some cost?

7. Promotion, promotion, promotion. I can not express how important that is. Events have to be promoted heavily in order to get people excited to come to a USAC race to see the best drivers in the world. Teaming with Buckley and MavTv is one of the best moves I think they have made. National TV exposure is key in today's society. NASCAR racing is on the decline and to expensive to attend so let's wrangle that crowd and show them how exciting real racing is.

8. Curbing cost and teching cars after the race needs to become a thing again. Someone is always going to have more money and be fast but tech the cars to show the other competitors they don't have an unfair advantage like a larger motor, traction control, soaked tires, etc.

Just some things I think would help in the long run to keep the USAC brand alive and thriving for years to come.

5/27/14, 1:15 PM   #40
SP Motorsports

I provide the following information for fact purposes only. Not to support any particular view. It has been stated that they are a non-profit which is a relm I make my daily living in. So here is some publically available information that may or may not support some viewpoints.

According to their IRS form 990 for the fiscal year ended 11/30/2012

Total Revenue: $5,102,264

Total Salaries: $1,393,999

Total Expenses: $4,583,733

Revenue less expenses: $518,531

Total Net Assets: $2,249624

Reportable Compensation:

Kevin Miller $434,000
Jason Smith $95,000

Two main sources of revenue: (not a comprehensive list of all revenue sources)

Race Revenue: $3,013,203
Sponsorship Revenue: $1,530,502

*****All of this information was taken from a 29 page document that is public information.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Night Before The 500