IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Attn: Mmsa mini sprints
7/10/13, 11:58 PM   #31
Re: Attn: Mmsa mini sprints
Bradleyracing86

Needs to be a national sanction. It would be advantageous for all. Everything has been tried and we know what works and don't . I disagree with some of the series rules, MALS has added many races to the Minisprint schedule and Im glad they are doing that, I didn't mean to try to talk down there series or talk Mark down. However if stock is stock there wouldn't be any issues. Stock with Carrillo rods is not stock. I was not a angry or retaliating for not being able to run there, we have other cars that can be run there however don't believe everything you here about the injection systems, if you look at long term what we run is cheaper in the end. Sorry mark tried to call you back to talk to you again but I don't like how that conversation was left. I mis understood what you said and wouldn't mind if you came to run with us but you will have to leave your rods at home. Maybe we will see you soon.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/11/13, 1:27 AM   #32
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
WOW.... Called you on the phone to put a stop to this and this is how you man up by throwing more bombs!!! Just lost ANY respect I had for you. My motor is STOCK. I never told you anything remotely close. Matter of fact it just so happens that I tried to melt my motor down last weekend by running it out of water. So I just happen to have the head off. A pictures is worth a thousands words!!! If you like I can get today news paper and hold next to it so you know its from today.
Yep! them are stock pistons Mark. Generally when we run em dry we pull #4 connecting rod apart right in the middle and spit the I beam out in the belly pan. Also looks like #2 piston has been meeting up with the intake valve a little. Might want to check your spring retainers. Kaws also like break them things ever so often and when they do you are looking for another motor.

This engine deal really gets old, either hearing people complain about getting beat by super motors or us blowing them up every 30 laps.

These things I know for sure.

1. You can't rule out people from spending more on their race car than other people can. Hell some guys even haul them around in a Quarter million dollar hauler.

2. You can't keep people from blaming their lack of success on the fact that the other people are cheating. It just couldn't be because they missed the set up our made a few mistakes in their race, it just has to be the other guy's fault.

3. Give me a solid motor, a new right rear tire an advanced chassis design, set it up properly and put a good driver behind the wheel and we will run off and hide from those expensive motors.

4. Yes Andy****** you can do it with "weight". The good driver will rise to the top, we have even done it a few times ourselves. If we are 3 mph faster in the center of the turn we will be 6 mph faster at the end of the straight. We have been known to scare a few people in the center of the turn.

5. Don't make those high dollar motors illegal just make it where a person can't justify racing one because they would have to carry too much weight.

6. All the groups are still way off in their race weight for our cars and drivers. Guys like Collin and Doug are 100 pounds off to start with. Because of their driving ability they can run up front, however the new racer just starting out does not stand a snow ball's chance of getting up front.

What really gall me is watching the line of cars before the race standing in line at the scales to add that last little bit of extra of weight to be legal. When we come to the scales they just wave us through knowing we have that 125 pound margin of safety.

If you win the feature one week the next week you should be made to start on the tale. If you win that race you should get a $100.00 bonus lots of praise and also have your minimum weight raised 25 pounds.

Big motors don't kill racing series but one guy winning all the races sure will.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/11/13 at 9:35 AM.

1 member likes this post: Xflagman
7/11/13, 1:41 AM   #33
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky 4 View Post
just go run with them tell them its all stock
just like you and farney did at Eldora last year
they wont know the difference you pulled it
off last year if they truly teched your motor
I know a tec guy that will be available.

Honest Dad himself

7/11/13, 1:48 AM   #34
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
Bottom line here is this. If each sanctioning body has different rules, then it becomes difficult for people to travel and run with other sanctioning bodies. Also, if folks are running high $$$ engines, then that will kill the class. Look at the midgets etc.... Out here we run stock motors, and we have had 6 races and 5 different winners. And only one blown engine. I have a friend here, with an 04 GSXR, bone stock, won appx. 20+ features and has 80+ race nights on the motor and still going strong. I have 30 nights on my stock R1, and still going strong. If our class ends up needing $10K motors to run, then I too will switch to another class. Cannot afford that. You guys out in the midwest , could have huge car counts, if ALL the clubs had the same rules. Too bad that is not likley to happen. Just my 2 cents....from Colorado.
When they get gasoline down to $2.00 a gallon and the purse up to $2000,00 to win we will travel. As long as we are a support class there is not too much incentive to travel. The rules are getting closser all the time, but why spend $500.00 in gasoline to race for a support purse.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: Xflagman
7/11/13, 9:16 AM   #35
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS View Post
I'm all for a new Ohio and Indiana Lighting Sprint club with 100% stock engine rule. I will help out anyone if they would like to get something going. I get tired running Waynesfield every week. Anyone that has knows me can tell you I'm not a rich guy with big pockets. We can make a change if enough people jump on board and quit complaining. Id be more than happy to sell my new HUD engine and have him build a stock one.
We could call it "Hosier-Buckeye Division III winged and wingless midgets" or "H-BDIIIW&WM" for short. Kinda of got a wing to it doesn't it. But then the fight about the placement of Hosier and Buckeye would start up.

Why would someone want Hud to build them a "stock" motor, doesn't that take the stock out of stock. Just get him to mix you up some of that old "Kikipoo Joy Juice", that should be sufficient.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/11/13 at 9:26 AM.

7/11/13, 11:07 AM   #36
openwheel44

Hmmmm............Just read this this morning. Mr. Bradley, I don't know you and you sure as hell don't know me. I am the Phil Heavelow that Mark referred to. I do take offense to your attacks on MALS. We have printed rules. Rules we enforce while other groups "talk" about enforcement but actually do nothing. How many other groups out there actually tech the first three cars? Not talk about it......actually do it. With an unbiased professional? We do. In my day, I have traveled to various races and have yet to actually see any tech done. Again..........MALS does. We did all this to try to keep the costs down and gain credibility. We are trying to support and help grow this class. But then someone like you gets on the internet and starts making UNTRUE statements about something you know nothing about. I am sorry your feelings got hurt about your "Engler" system. It was about cost.....not performance it was outlawed. Deal with it. Same as Mark said about certain motors.........availability and costs mainly. That extra "claimed" 16 hp doesn't phase me in the slightest.....it's the availability and cost factors that concerned me. Let's face it......60-70% of the racers out there wouldn't know what to do with that extra HP.

MALS does run Stock motors. We presently allow non performance enhancing rods. For motor longevity. Me.....My equipment (ZX-10r) is absolutely box stock with the exception of a Rosson alky system and oil pan for easier motor placement. Motor right out of the bike. So "can" that statement about MALS having "built motors." You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. And yes...........my motor has been teched MULTIPLE times.

Mark and I saw this class as self destructing. Everyone sees it. We stepped up to the plate and decided over the winter to do what we could to try to save the class. Our sister group in this area, MLS was beginning to experience these "built motors" you are referring to. Hence MALS was formed. We have tried increasing the purse. We have implemented basically stock motor rules. We tried to make it where racers can come run with us and know exactly what they can expect and be confident they are on a level playing field. We have not deviated from our goal. Stock motors. No increased compression, no slightly longer rods, no bore jobs, no lightened cranks, no after market cams.............friggin' stock!! Please try to remember that when you refer to MALS.

Mark and I have pondered the possibility of interested parties from each group meeting after the season is over to possibly try to organize a National Organization or some sort of National Rules. If nothing else.......to simply standardize the rules. Years ago when "Minisprints" were taking off.....around 1987-88......We had a National set of rules. I know....I was there and part of it. We need it again.
Last edited by openwheel44; 7/11/13 at 11:17 AM.

2 members like this post: DAD, double checkered
7/11/13, 12:19 PM   #37
mini27

Not just mals, but all groups, how are you guys going tec for aftermarket rods, light weight cranks, ti valves? stock bore stroke And port work is all you can check for unless you tear motor down.

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: Bradleyracing86, buckeye4
7/11/13, 12:33 PM   #38
Bradleyracing86

Phil you guys are making more of this than it is, you can get all bent out of shape all you want , the comment made was " Now the AMSA, and Mid American still allow these high dollar motors"
100% Factual Statement.

No one said you have a cheating motor or mark for that fact, your rules allow that stuff. That's all I was saying. Had nothing to do with Engler. Zero.

YOU ALLOW THOSE MOTORS.

These non performance enhancing rods, which I'm sure the folks at corrilo will love that new marketing strategy still cost big $. Having someone install these rods or the aftermarket pistons that Mark and I talked about are expensive. If you don't mind me asking who makes a piston that is the same weight and performance as stock?

Rods are $1050
Labor. $800

$1900 more than stock.. So on a gsxr buying the engine and doing the mod your on 4k.

The conversation I had with Mark in April I explained my position on all of this and explained why I would not be attending the spring race that he asked us to attend.

These motors are almost self limiting, if you can't change rods and pistons, yea you can mill the head, degree cams but how many laps with that last on stock rods, not very long.

Sorry you took that the wrong way, and sorry you guys put your own series in the spotlight. if you want to grow the sport your gonna have to get rid of that stuff, as a racer we are the customer you are the salesman.

Salesman dont lecture customers on ethics and give them sh$t for stating the truth.
Feel free to call ill be here all day.
812-345-3946

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by Bradleyracing86; 7/11/13 at 12:34 PM.

7/11/13, 12:42 PM   #39
buckshot3448

Here's the problem. Most series have started to go in the right direction getting rid of the super big 10k motors. But what you didnt stop is people opening the cases up doing your little twerks here and there. The engine life on these motors go down severley when you crack that case open. Ask most guys that blow there engines if its ever been open with there hands in it. I know alot about american motors but i dont know jack **** about these motorcycle motors so i leave it at that and dont touch them. We run stock motor rules no aftermarket anything and I think we have the fewest engine failures in the country as well. Ive been running a junk yard turd motor for a season and a half i believe 33 races on it. Its more then paid for itself in that time. It will also compete with the bigger motors out there. Everyone thinks you have to have the biggest and baddest motor under the hood to run with the next guy when you should really be spending your money else where. Sure a track like eldora you have to have a big motor but i also dont think these cars should run there for the fact you never let off. Anyways the rules are simple leave the motors completely stock they will run trust me. Just do the right maintenance and your fine. Allow whatever injection and air box they want to run and leave the weights the same i have yet to see weight affect a fast car.

2 members like this post: El1teBr33ze, RickyBobby
7/11/13, 1:08 PM   #40
TFortune39

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot3448 View Post
Here's the problem. Most series have started to go in the right direction getting rid of the super big 10k motors. But what you didnt stop is people opening the cases up doing your little twerks here and there. The engine life on these motors go down severley when you crack that case open. Ask most guys that blow there engines if its ever been open with there hands in it. I know alot about american motors but i dont know jack **** about these motorcycle motors so i leave it at that and dont touch them. We run stock motor rules no aftermarket anything and I think we have the fewest engine failures in the country as well. Ive been running a junk yard turd motor for a season and a half i believe 33 races on it. Its more then paid for itself in that time. It will also compete with the bigger motors out there. Everyone thinks you have to have the biggest and baddest motor under the hood to run with the next guy when you should really be spending your money else where. Sure a track like eldora you have to have a big motor but i also dont think these cars should run there for the fact you never let off. Anyways the rules are simple leave the motors completely stock they will run trust me. Just do the right maintenance and your fine. Allow whatever injection and air box they want to run and leave the weights the same i have yet to see weight affect a fast car.
EXACTLY!!!!! Everything in internally left oem! I see everyone's point, but if u allow one thing this year what's it gonna be next year?!? It's racing PEOPLE!!! If your worried about how long your motor will last your in the wrong sport. If you can't afford to buy a stock motor and leave it stock ( other than injection) you need to buy a seat cushion and sit in the stands. I don't even own a car yet but I'm wanting to get one. The only problem I see is all the series need to get together and get 1 set of rules so a guy can travel if he wants to and not have to change a bunch of stuff jus because another series doesn't allow something or does allow more than you have!!! JMO

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Attn: Mmsa mini sprints