IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Silver Crown Series...thoughts?
5/29/12, 6:24 PM   #21
Re: USAC Silver Crown Series...thoughts?
sprntr

So the following teams that raced last year weren't at this year's Hosier 100. Anyone know why?

5,* Baldwin
6,* Klatt
14,* McQuinn
37,* Indiana Underground
39,* Aquilini
55,* Bateman
65,* Hartenstine
71,* Kunz
91,* Hagar
97,* SC
116,* Racing Associates
199,* Edwards/RE

steiny

5/29/12, 6:30 PM   #22
BrentTFunk

Here is the way I see it and I am sure many of you will disagree. The front engine upright cars days have been numbered ever since the tracks other than Indy started being paved. I hate it because I love those cars. When is the last time a mile dirt track was built in the USA? Has one been built since the car was invented? I feel bad for all that are involved, but I don't see how any thing will help. Remember the overwhelming support the PRA got? The car counts were not large and the crowds barely average. If you want to see these shows continue stop complaining and show the world people are interested by showing up and supporting the series, that is the only thing that will help.
Last edited by BrentTFunk; 5/29/12 at 6:31 PM.

8 members like this post: dirtball, fish, IndyBound, jim goerge, Mud Packer, ronmil, Vukie
5/29/12, 7:00 PM   #23
TQ29m

That goofy Gold Crown, or whatever it was known as, kinda drove the budget minded "big car" owners, into a hole, that was the spike that wasn't needed, bad timing, poor performance, lack of interest, you name it, bad move! Bob!

1 member likes this post: SC90
5/29/12, 7:21 PM   #24
Jonr

So, what everyone is asking for is for a sanctioning body to make a bold move, Look into the future of the series, look for ways to take this cars into the new centrury, look for ways to open these cars to new tracks, and to make them a way to become a stepping stone for other series? Is this the general idea?

5/29/12, 7:27 PM   #25
Tumey's 55

Agree, with several others on this thread, the switch to ethanol is not correlated with lack of fan support. The decline in interest has been many years in the making. I am a history buff so I greatly appreciate the history of these cars. However, for me personally I find sprint cars to be much more entertaining and prefer to save my racing dollars for sprint shows. Sorry, but that is my preference. Hope there are enough hard core fans to keep the series going. If you want to save SC, get out and support them. Hopefully USAC will hear the complaints from owners and adjust accordingly.

2 members like this post: fish, speed bump
5/29/12, 7:36 PM   #26
thebus79h

There needs to be more races in order to gain owner interest. If you have a dirt car, you can only run it what, 5 times in the year? Engines aren't cheap, especially in something you can't use anywhere else. Think if they used an ASCS 360 engine, or hell even a 410 motor, you may get some cars back. Put them back on Methanol, and get rid of the corn.

My problem is the price tag to go to the track to watch them, the only time I see them all year is the 4-Crown, because they run with the other classes to make it worth it. I would love to see a triple header at Lawrenceburg, Terre Haute, or any other half mile.

2 members like this post: Fred Zirzow, ronmil
5/29/12, 7:57 PM   #27
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus79h View Post
There needs to be more races in order to gain owner interest. If you have a dirt car, you can only run it what, 5 times in the year? Engines aren't cheap, especially in something you can't use anywhere else. Think if they used an ASCS 360 engine, or hell even a 410 motor, you may get some cars back. Put them back on Methanol, and get rid of the corn.

My problem is the price tag to go to the track to watch them, the only time I see them all year is the 4-Crown, because they run with the other classes to make it worth it. I would love to see a triple header at Lawrenceburg, Terre Haute, or any other half mile.
That is my point. There will never be a lot of races, because the dirt miles are limited. The ticket prices are high because the purse is decent. By the time a promoter pays rent etc, there is very little money to be made. One guy is keeping the whole thing going, but you can't expect him to keep doing it when he loses money. If people ever want this to suceed, they better support it now before its gone.

4 members like this post: duel, fish, jim goerge, ronmil
5/29/12, 8:11 PM   #28
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumey's 55 View Post
Agree, with several others on this thread, the switch to ethanol is not correlated with lack of fan support. The decline in interest has been many years in the making. I am a history buff so I greatly appreciate the history of these cars. However, for me personally I find sprint cars to be much more entertaining and prefer to save my racing dollars for sprint shows. Sorry, but that is my preference. Hope there are enough hard core fans to keep the series going. If you want to save SC, get out and support them. Hopefully USAC will hear the complaints from owners and adjust accordingly.
QED for several people.....

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
5/29/12, 8:35 PM   #29
SpfldMile

I love these cars and always have. They are traditional, but that doesn't mean they are outdated. They can put on some incredible races. Some people say they like the sprints better. I can appreciate that, sprint cars are great, I love them too. To me there is something magical about these big cars blasting around these big tracks. I am spoiled being from Springfield my whole life, the Bettenhausen is the first day off my calendar, and has been since the 70's. I've seen them at DuQuoin and Terre Haute too, and loved them just as much. I hope USAC can make it up to the owners and get them back. If not, I hope someone else does, whoever that may be. The dirt champ cars were a proving ground for the best drivers in the world at one point. Guess what, 100 laps on a big track is still the same, an incredible feat of skill, patience, and courage. Long live the Silver Crown.

2 members like this post: ronmil, SC90
5/29/12, 9:01 PM   #30
opendirt63

I have been lucky to be around silver crown racing since I was young. My dad has owned a car and we always have run the miles,eldora, and Terre haute. I must admit as younger man 19-26, I was kinda turned off by the miles (long, spread out, usually 1 or 2 car pack. It wasnt till the last few years that I really saw how unique these cars and tracks were. Bottom line the casual fan isn't going to invest the time and effort to gain the respect this series need.

The midgets and silver crown need to be together. I think usac was on to something last year with national drivers champion consisting of 25 best finds in all three divisions. I believe silver crown and midgets both benefited a few cars who would have not joined the party if not for overall big picture. They must implement some form of this soon to help both divisions.

Second of all, silver crown needs the midgets on pavement. The may 19th orp show gives validation that stand alone silver crown pavement shows don't have the pull (unless bobby east wants to flick off the official every show and be moved to the back of the pack to still pass everyone and win like at Milwaukee last year lol)

I never was around but double features at eldora and Terre haute wouldn't hurt and yes with the midgets.

As for the miles, baseball is a sport bases on tradtion and it's ratings ratings have dropped horribly over the years. The 50 lap was awesome from a spectator point of few. Our car normally comes on late in a hundred lap run, but I want the 50 lap red back. All those races were good and the fab experience having those cars stop on the front stretch was amazing.

Pair the midgets with silver crown and make an overall championship that includes both series, more shows at Terre haute and eldora or even other half miles. Bring back the red on the miles. If people want to see tire conservation they can go to NASCAR , oh wait there stands are now empty to

Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Silver Crown Series...thoughts?