IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lube--Torque ball
5/20/08, 3:43 PM   #1
Lube--Torque ball
Poorboyjocko

What is the best lube to apply to the torque ball after it is cleaned. I have used several different brands and they all seem to work about the same.

Phil Poor

5/20/08, 8:06 PM   #2
Re: Lube--Torque ball
LEADERS EDGE

Some guys have said that they use the dry-film graphite spray and that it works well.

I offer a thin, but high density lube made by Alisyn oil. It goes on thin and creates a nice surface barrier without being extremely thick and tacky. It also doesn't collect dirt as bad as the other greases. We also suggest that people use it on the bars as well.

Supposidly the military uses it in all of the tanks on the axles. Not owning a military tank, I cannot confirm that.

Let me know were you'll be this week and I'll get you a sample.

We also carry their engine oils and chain lubes as well. Their oil is what is recommended by Esslinger and is the oil that Gibbs based their line of synthetics off of.

1 member likes this post: sprinter31
5/25/08, 2:38 PM   #3
MEAT

White Lithium mixed with graphite powder.

5/29/08, 10:32 AM   #4
wbr

Lucas Oil engine assembly lube. Its a thick green liquid that clings well but is slicker than, well you know.

5/29/08, 4:07 PM   #5
Geoff Kaiser

Mark,
where are you buying that stuff at???

5/29/08, 9:28 PM   #6
LEADERS EDGE

One of the problems with running a heavy grease or lube on dirt is that it collects all of the dust and grit that comes into the cockpit and that causes the ball and housing to wear prematurely.

The new seals offered by Seals it help stop some of that, but it still causes a gritty mess to clean.

That is why teams are using the Graphite dry film or a lube like the Alisyn as they are not heavy and don't collect the dirt and grit as bad.

Whtever works for anyone is fine with me, I'm just giving some of the reasons that I have found personally and what I have learned from others.

5/30/08, 11:12 PM   #7
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorboyjocko View Post
What is the best lube to apply to the torque ball after it is cleaned. I have used several different brands and they all seem to work about the same.

Phil Poor
Being that I'm up here in sub-artic Minnesota, I use Polaris Synthetic Grease. I already have it in the grease gun for my sled bogies & suspension pivots. It works well but as Leaders Edge said, it creates a sticky, gritty mess. I pull it all down & wash it all off in the parts washer after every race. I'm thinking of trying Tri-Flo spray lube. It works great on heim joints, maybe it will work well on Torque Balls.

Let me know if you find a Dry Lube that stays on & lubes well.

9/5/08, 9:01 AM   #8
RR>LR=LTO

synthetic Valvoline Axle grease mixed with wd-40. it makes it so smooth and slick. Like VELVET! you need a thick grease to keep dirt OUT. ALL grease attracts dust, dirt. It's job is to displace it like wd40 displaces water. I put it on the housing, torque ball and all the way down the torque tube. Works better than the "special" suff and cheaper too.

When arguing with a woman: You must first throw out logic and common sense.
Benjamin Franklin :headbang

9/8/08, 10:35 AM   #9
LEADERS EDGE

Not all greases attract dirt and grit the same.

Tri-Flow is a great product.

The Seals-It seal makes cleaning the ball and housing a much cleaner job. Also saves wear and tear on the ball and housing.

9/9/08, 2:03 PM   #10
RR>LR=LTO

Let me make sure I understand this: If we, the racing community, use tri-flow and the seals-it seal, we will never have to clean the torque ball again? I hope everyone does exactly that so i can watch my car pass them. Why would I buy overpriced grease and a rubber bootie and still take it apart, clean it and re-grease it after every-single race? WOW, that's just plain stupid. How bout this:use synthetic grease and wd40 and take it apart and clean it every race.

You'll sell more parts if you don't peg everyone's bull$hit meter as soon as they walk in the door.

When arguing with a woman: You must first throw out logic and common sense.
Benjamin Franklin :headbang

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lube--Torque ball