IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > # 81 car
9/20/11, 9:57 PM   #1
# 81 car
i love dirt track racing

last weekend seen the #81 pull in to the tracks with open hauler and i know its still early for silly season but what is that about. will the mad man be back in the #81 next year our is dallas had enough of going racing with the the best sprint car in dirt track racing the mad man.

9/20/11, 11:33 PM   #2
Honest-Sam

Dallas was there with him. Dunno what that was about. I have noticed a couple other teams have 'scaled down' the haulers. Times are tough I reckon.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/21/11, 12:03 AM   #3
Re: # 81 car
gtownplowboy

I thought it was awesome. Come in with one car and a few tires and I am gonna try to take 10 grand. Old school for sure.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Downey44, Shawn Harper, sprintgirl14
9/21/11, 1:53 AM   #4
johnnythunderhead

trailers don't win races

9/21/11, 9:55 AM   #5
Bradleyracing86

Open trailer means nothing but business!
Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Speedwrench
9/21/11, 4:05 PM   #6
The Old Coyote

I think there should be a weight penalty for how fancy your trailer and tow vehicle is. We could make Kevin Olsen the judge and if your trailer and tow vehicle met the standard he establishes you would have no weight penalty. Then start adding weight as we went up the scale!

9/21/11, 5:37 PM   #7
John P Huss

Love the open trailer's. Neat to see Ballou driving out
of Terre Haute driving the pickup w/open trailer. You're
right huge hauler's don't win races. Driver's do.
Best Regards,
John

9/21/11, 5:41 PM   #8
ThePurple73

Looking at the #81 car on the trailer at the pit gate was probably the high point of the night at Haubstadt.

It brought back memories when all the cars would be lined up on open trailers at the pit gate and you could visit with the drivers and examine the cars.

I remember at some state fair pit gates when the cars would be waiting to get in and running Saturday night as a "Super Modified". In the back of the pick up was a different tail and single roll bar to make the "Super Modified" into a "Sprint Car" for a Sunday afternoon race.

I'm sure an open trailer helps make a sprint car business case a little more feasible.

1 member likes this post: sprintgirl14
9/21/11, 8:13 PM   #9
Bad Dad 54

Got a friend who has both open & enclosed trailers. Uses the open one for racing & the enclosed one for storage. Tows w/ a nice C-class motor home camps overnight at the track then goes home next day.

9/21/11, 9:30 PM   #10
LocalYokel

Open trailers are awesome!! ...but most don't hold all the tools/spares it takesto go racing these days. I once saw a modified trailer, I believe it was at Putnamville, that did the job. It had a tire rack 3 rows deep, and lots of tool boxes and closets for storage. It also had an enclosed area up front for all of the valuable equipment that needed to be locked up. It was by far the coolest trailer I have ever seen. If anyone has any pics of something similar, id love to see it.
The best thing about an open trailer is that you can easily paint it with a spray can whatever color you want. My dads used to be neon yellow. I think a neon teal trailer would be super rad, maybe even fuschia!
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Sorry to keep this thread off topic, but all the talk of open trailers reminded me of a story that happened to me.
I was almost kicked out of a USAC show one time due to a disagreement I had with an official I had concerning the size of my trailer.
This happened at Jolient about 5-6 years ago. The USAC official was directing haulers and was giving all of the good pit spots to guys with toterhomes and semis. This offical was telling all of the guys with smaller or open trailers to go park in the back 40. The team I came up with that day happened to have a toterhome. They also had all my tires in their rig. So the offical told the team I was with to park in a prefered spot and told me with my 16' enclosed to go park somewhere else. I ignored his instructions and parked next to the toter I was with. A yelling match ensued. At one point he evened threatned to not allow me to run that night due to my insubordination. After explaining my need to park next to the other rig due to my equipment being in their, another offical finally got invloved and in the end I got the park in the prefered area.
I can't lay all the blame on USAC, it was simply a guy in a uniform on a power trip. And I understand that USAC has to keep their regulars happy and give them the best pit spots. I will say though that they put me through a ton of BS simply because my truck and tiny trailer didn't cost as much as some people homes...
Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: Rob Reimer, Roy Bleckert
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > # 81 car