Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larson
1/25/21, 10:48 AM   #21
Re: Larson
Dirt Track Cowboy

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KART View Post
I heard in an interview that Larson is planning on running around 20 late model races this year. Any bets on how many he wins? I'll say 18.
Dude is among the greatest dirt track drivers we have EVER seen but I think anyone in their right mind will take that bet from you my friend. Keep in mind he was awful last year in his two LM races after winning at Port Royal. He will probably win 5-8 if he runs 20 maybe a few more but he won't dominate they guys in the Lucas Oil Late Model to the point of where he wins nearly every race, ZERO chance he wins 18 out of 20.

2 members like this post: jdull99, sw1911
1/25/21, 11:47 AM   #22
95KART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Track Cowboy View Post
Dude is among the greatest dirt track drivers we have EVER seen but I think anyone in their right mind will take that bet from you my friend. Keep in mind he was awful last year in his two LM races after winning at Port Royal. He will probably win 5-8 if he runs 20 maybe a few more but he won't dominate they guys in the Lucas Oil Late Model to the point of where he wins nearly every race, ZERO chance he wins 18 out of 20.
Yeah I realized I exaggerated that a little bit. I honestly don't follow dirt late model racing that much, but I was curious to watch that race and was amazed at how dominant Larson was. I would rather see him racing sprint cars or midgets but props to him for trying something different and being successful right off the bat.

2 members like this post: Dirt Track Cowboy, ISF
1/25/21, 11:48 AM   #23
ISF

One thing is obvious, there is a degree of veiled contempt and even a little resentment directed towards Larson (we've seen it here) for making his successes in a DLM look rather easy.

Given that I've been attending racing events at Fairbury since the age of 8 or 9 and have been involved back in the day with a multiple time DLM track championship team there, believe me when I say, the fandom is extremely tribal. There will be a significant portion of those in attendance who desperately hope Larson "the go cart/tumble buggy/NASCRAP driver" doesn't run well. Already heard it many times just since Saturday night.

1/25/21, 11:56 AM   #24
Dirt Track Cowboy

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
One thing is obvious, there is a degree of veiled contempt and even a little resentment directed towards Larson (we've seen it here) for making his successes in a DLM look rather easy.

Given that I've been attending racing events at Fairbury since the age of 8 or 9 and have been involved back in the day with a multiple time DLM track championship team there, believe me when I say, the fandom is extremely tribal. There will be a significant portion of those in attendance who desperately hope Larson "the go cart/tumble buggy/NASCRAP driver" doesn't run well. Already heard it many times just since Saturday night.
Larson's domination lately is sure to create a kinda love/hate passion for him among traditional dirt track fans and even some drivers. Anytime someone from the "outside" even though he has a LONG history of dirt track racing comes in and wins every race it won't go over well. Dude is talented as hell and seems to be a great down to Earth guy from every interview I've seen....He's good for the sport in my opinion.

4 members like this post: 95KART, davidm, dirt330, jdull99
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larson