IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
openwheelKT (Offline)
  #1 2/12/14 11:04 AM
I find this very interesting. I can also think of several I'd put in it.

http://www.wthr.com/story/24698999/2...dianapolis-500

http://www.cuttersrt.com/
3 Likes: dirtnonwingfan, mowerman, nathans1012
Hotshoe65s (Offline)
  #2 2/12/14 11:19 AM
Well I think it would only be logical to put The People's Champ in The People's Car. Lol
14 Likes: Avon Open Wheel fan, billw, davidm, gastown, Gregg, lightning01, luckybuc97, nathans1012, racegal, Russell Ficklin, Shawn Harper, tim brown, wright59, Xflagman
Danny Williams Sr. (Offline)
  #3 2/12/14 3:05 PM
I remember that Grant King did something similar in the 1970's with Sheldon Kinser driving the "Spirit of Indiana Special" funded by contributions from race fans.

Today with social media and Crowdfunding type sites this might be easier to accomplish than it was 35-40 years ago.

Logical choice would be a young driver with sprint & midget experience that has already been in an Indy 500 with Sara Fisher's team.
4 Likes: apexonephoto, dirtball, mowerman, robert gatten
dirtball (Offline)
  #4 2/12/14 3:22 PM
I've seen the cowl with all the signatures on it, neat!
ronmil (Offline)
  #5 2/12/14 3:54 PM
This sounds somewhat like what Grant King did several years ago with "The Spirit of Indiana". Spike Gehlhausen drove, and I believe Sheldon Kinser may have been involved in the same promotion in later years.

Ron Miller
ronmil (Offline)
  #6 2/12/14 3:56 PM
Originally Posted by ronmil:
This sounds somewhat like what Grant King did several years ago "The Spirit of Indiana". Spike Gehlhausen drove, and I believe Sheldon Kinser may have been involved in the same promotion in later years.
Please excuse my ignorance! I didn't notice Danny Williams post!

Ron Miller
Gregg (Offline)
  #7 2/12/14 4:06 PM
Per Ron and Danny's post, here is Spike Gelhausen's ride for 1976. The stars on the car was where you signed for sponsoring the car. I think it was something like $40 a star back in the day. Sheldon Kinser and Grant King did pretty much the same thing a year earlier in Sheldon's rookie year. I seem to remember someone else doing this but I need a yearbook or two to jog my memory.

5 Likes: cws9, dirt330, Honest-Sam, racing2bwithu2, ronmil
McInturff Racing (Offline)
  #8 2/12/14 5:23 PM
I should probably be putting the $100 towards my own racing efforts, but I'm in. As a sponsor I should have some say as to who the driver is, right? coughcoughClausoncough
mowerman (Offline)
  #9 2/12/14 5:25 PM
I think Leroy Van Connett from Galt Ca. did this back in the 70's .
monkeyboy (Offline)
  #10 2/12/14 7:48 PM
Fan sponsored and fan driven. I heard they will choose the driver from the infield in 3&4 about an hour before the start.

All I need is a heavy track and heavy buzz!