IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > More Midget Races Cancelled
9/7/11, 6:27 PM   #51
Re: More Midget Races Cancelled
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
14 at last years four crown. Three at Kokomo and three full fields during midget week. Every one of them except the LBurg Midget week over 150 miles to see.

Oh and ARDC? The bastion of spec racing? GUESS IT WORKS ESPECIALLY IN WINGED non midget territory.
Note I said this year (2011)

For "Spec racing" that Steve Buckwalter is a heck of a driver! Comes to Indiana with his Spec car and can run up front and even win with it (Last Year) against USAC's best.

1 member likes this post:
9/7/11, 6:29 PM   #52
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
Note I said this year (2011)

For "Spec racing" that Steve Buckwalter is a heck of a driver! Comes to Indiana with his Spec car and can run up front and even win with it (Last Year) against USAC's best.
Those were within the past year

And i totally agree on Buckwalter

1 member likes this post: Koonzee
9/7/11, 8:14 PM   #53
BrianBSU23

Midget Owners & Drivers - If you haven't seen our other thread. the Montpelier Motor Speedway in East Central, Indiana is currently gathering info on a weekly/biweekly midget class with the possible inclusion of 1000CC mini-sprints, etc... If you are interested please go to this thread https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=52646 and let us know your thoughts or potential support.

1 member likes this post: SPRINTCAR
9/7/11, 9:12 PM   #54
c47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
14 at last years four crown. Three at Kokomo and three full fields during midget week. Every one of them except the LBurg Midget week over 150 miles to see.

Oh and ARDC? The bastion of spec racing? GUESS IT WORKS ESPECIALLY IN WINGED non midget territory.
care to explain your definition of "spec racing" and how it applies to ardc?

9/7/11, 9:27 PM   #55
team3521

Don,

Do you remember ARCA had a midget series and it used to be pretty decent. They knew when to get out though didn't they?

9/8/11, 12:23 AM   #56
jdull99

275 HP on hard 8" tires (of which would be marked and only 1 or 2 could be purchased a night...like almost EVERY short-track stock car track in the country!)! $350-$400 to start! Line-up the races so that cars are grouped closest to speed (not "progressive" or whatever the crap is where it's only a matter of time when the "have's" get to the front). Agree on previous weight rule comments; raise it, AND actually weigh EVERY car every night (like almost EVERY short-track stock car track in the country!). Don't charge at least the driver for pit passes and no entry-fees! I better stop...

Thanks for bringing this topic back up, Mr. Moore! Maybe someday some will quit walking around with dirty tear-offs on...

Jason Dull
815 494 6002
jdull99@hotmail.com
jasondull.com (For all the Racing News)

1 member likes this post: team3521
9/8/11, 7:02 AM   #57
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by c47 View Post
care to explain your definition of "spec racing" and how it applies to ardc?

http://www.ardcmidgets.com/PDFs/ARDC-rulebook-2011.pdf

1 member likes this post: Koonzee
9/8/11, 7:54 AM   #58
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Not trying to throw fuel on the fire and I also don't think USAC is wrong in every decision they make. However, have they ever tried something like Montpelier is doing? I think a survey of the competitors is a great idea to see what they want and what works for them. Of course you are going to get different opinions, but I would think you would be able to come up with some sort of baseline to get more cars to show up. The question to owners should be, when there is a race and you choose not to show, why? Get feedback from there. At least somebody is trying.... The groups also need to sit down because working together benefits all.

I think the best point made was, if the powers-that-be don't think there is a problem, then what is going to be done?

9/8/11, 9:07 AM   #59
DonMoore10

OpenWheelKT... Seriously, I think the only survey that is taken by the orgs is with the manufacturers and how they can stay in business with one night expensive soft tires and $22,000 engines that are supposed to save midget racing. Yeah.. we should all stand and cheer!!!!
Last edited by DonMoore10; 9/8/11 at 9:09 AM.

9/8/11, 9:53 AM   #60
DAD

"Competition" The bunch with the best plan wins! That is the American way. Right now USAC need's to get a better plan and I think they are trying, But you got a bunch of old guys doing it the way we have done it for the last forty years, they need some young blood and think outside the box a little. May-be they need to do it like they did fifty years ago, that would be a new way to a young guy. Ken Brown is a good example of that with the Poweri series. He has some heavy hitters there but mostly he has regional guys wanting to race and have a chance at winning. The more rules you have to make things cheeper the more the big guys can take advantage of those rules. Plenty of time on the dyno can beat that old rev limiter, Plenty of dyno time can beat that old restrictor plate. Rules just make racing more expensive. We got snake oil for tires at $100.00 a gallon. It just keeps going.

It's hard to beat money in racing, If all you have to do is go by the best parts and the best people and go win. Back in "the good old days" LOL a guy could every once in a while out think the rich guys and win. Rich people have the money to race because they were smart in their business deals and made large fortunes. They then get into racing and turn their large fortunes into small fortunes trying to out buy the other guy, something they would never do with their real business. You can't get rid of these guy's in fact most of them are good people and you want to race with them anyhow, It's just they have money to spend and I don't blame them for spending it. The car count's say we are running out of these people and need some little guy's back in the mix, don't rule-book them out.

3 members like this post: Bradleyracing86, mowerman
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > More Midget Races Cancelled