IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why are there no high-paying non wing races?
1/11/21, 4:31 PM   #21
Re: Why are there no high-paying non wing races?
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
Perception, Wings are better because they are faster. Perception, Wing racing is safer because the wing absorbs alot of the energy during a flip. Wings have been the the norm since the late 70s early 80s. (They must be better). Big money sponsored touring series with big point funds are all wing. High dollar weekly shows are all wing. So unless the next Ted Johnson (non wing variety) or J W Hunt comes along expect only incremental growth.
I laugh when people tell me wings are safer. I look them in the eyes and say If you"re going faster, Don"t you hit harder. Plus most of the time the safer wing comes off after your first or second flip. Trust me on that one, voice of experience.

5 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, ISF, Ken Bonnema, oppweld, texas red
1/12/21, 9:53 AM   #22
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
Perception, Wings are better because they are faster. Perception, Wing racing is safer because the wing absorbs alot of the energy during a flip. Wings have been the the norm since the late 70s early 80s. (They must be better). Big money sponsored touring series with big point funds are all wing. High dollar weekly shows are all wing. So unless the next Ted Johnson (non wing variety) or J W Hunt comes along expect only incremental growth.
I agree with this assessment. The PERCEPTION is that wings make the racing safer by absorbing the energy in a flip and I believe there was some truth to this statement in years gone by. As I remember WOO decided on wings only for that reason, and I remember track announcers stating this theory during the shows. If we fast-forward to the last 10 years or so, however, I question whether the statistics of those killed/maimed in winged vs. non-winged will bear that out.

To answer the original question, I wonder what role sponsorship of races plays in the payout of the big races. Was the MOPAR Million a success from a financial perspective for Eldora?

Tim Simmons

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
1/12/21, 12:44 PM   #23
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I agree with this assessment. The PERCEPTION is that wings make the racing safer by absorbing the energy in a flip and I believe there was some truth to this statement in years gone by. As I remember WOO decided on wings only for that reason, and I remember track announcers stating this theory during the shows. If we fast-forward to the last 10 years or so, however, I question whether the statistics of those killed/maimed in winged vs. non-winged will bear that out.

To answer the original question, I wonder what role sponsorship of races plays in the payout of the big races. Was the MOPAR Million a success from a financial perspective for Eldora?

Tim Simmons
Tim I believe it was a success for Earl because I remember him saying he had the backing of Mopar. I don"t know how much they put up but I"d bet they gave a pretty penny or two for their name to be out there.

1/12/21, 6:04 PM   #24
kb78

The Mopar Million was a great event and I think even if Mopar wasn't on board Earl would have done alright. If I remember right it was about $70 for a two day ticket and the place was full, not World 100 full but they had to have 16,000 people there and I think I'm being conservative. If you do the math it would be $120,000 to the good and that is not counting parking and concessions, so even if I am off with my attendance guess I'm sure he did alright.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
1/12/21, 6:23 PM   #25
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
Tim I believe it was a success for Earl because I remember him saying he had the backing of Mopar. I don"t know how much they put up but I"d bet they gave a pretty penny or two for their name to be out there.
I think with the hot dog consession he just barely broke even

4 members like this post: billw, jim goerge, Jonr, Speedwrench
1/12/21, 6:42 PM   #26
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc/rider View Post
I think with the hot dog consession he just barely broke even
LOL Earl"s famous saying "If we sell one more hot dog we might brake even", and he always said it without cracking a grin. lol

4 members like this post: erich45, luckybuc97, mc/rider, nathans1012
1/13/21, 3:03 AM   #27
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

It could be worst when you payout and nobody shows up...

Example: 2018 week after USAC..Hendry County Speedway in Clewiston, Fl. only race in the country $2000/$400 Fri. and $3000/$500 Sat Feb. 23/24....only had 7 non wing sprint cars and ONLY 1 showed up out of the state of Florida...

Fast Forward to Sept. 15 2018...All Tech Raceway Lake City, Florida... $2000/$400...5th place was $1000 yet I only had 8 cars show up...23 racers said they would be there....SO MANY EXCUSES....best one ever and I quote, "Sorry I could not make it...I had a dog grooving appointment"

2019 North South Mason Dixon Challenge in Tennessee...Thank all you racers and Aaron Fry with BOSS...big 2 day show 35 sprint cars and we went up against the Kokomo Show...why I love the racing up NORTH

Thank you Ms. Gardner and IOW for such a good racing site

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

4 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, TNRustler
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why are there no high-paying non wing races?