IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why USAC needs a winged series
2/15/22, 11:45 PM   #1
WingedFan2019

Race Count This Year: 9
Race Count Last Year: 49

With the world racing group going wingless USAC needs to come back at them with a winged series. No it will never be as big as WOO or the all stars but it’d be great to bring winged racing to these predominantly non wing tracks (Kokomo Gas city Paragon Lincoln park etc) would be great for the area since that seems to be the direction sprint car racing is going and to train the non wing guys winged racing.
Last edited by WingedFan2019; 2/15/22 at 11:49 PM.

2/15/22, 11:54 PM   #2
flagboy55

2 members like this post: Dblchkrs, spicoli
2/16/22, 12:00 AM   #3
Re: Why USAC needs a winged series
streetglider

Gtfoh !

2/16/22, 12:04 AM   #4
PAW

That's a big fat NO!

7 members like this post: Big Mike 7, billw, Dblchkrs, hoscalecody, luckybuc97, opnwhlmnd, ROSCO
2/16/22, 12:13 AM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I'll have what he's smokin....... Maybe The WOO itself would go Non winged then.

BTW, USAC tried Wings late eighties on promoters option.

5 members like this post: CRA91, Hustlin-Hoosier, luckybuc97, opnwhlmnd, ROSCO
2/16/22, 12:14 AM   #6
opnwhlmnd

See USAC results I believe in 1987 promotors had the option of their USAC race being wing or non-wing.

The World of Outlaws have a brand identity that resembles Hershey in chocolate no one is going to win a war with them on the wing side. See USA Sprint Car series that tried and even lured Sammy, The King, and Wolfgang to run it. It failed and made Ted Johnson and the WoO even stronger.

The All-Stars had shows at Circle City and Kokomo last season. They were so successful that ... wait for it ... they didn't reschedule them this season.

For me personally I like my sprint cars like the ladies, topless.
Last edited by opnwhlmnd; 2/16/22 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Brain cramp

2/16/22, 12:18 AM   #7
WingedFan2019

Race Count This Year: 9
Race Count Last Year: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
See USAC results I believe in 1987 promotors had the option of their USAC race being wing or non-wing.

The World of Outlaws have a brand identity that resembles Hershey in chocolate no one is going to win a war with them on the wing side. See USA Sprint Car series that tried and even lured Sammy, The King, and Wolfgang to run it. It failed and made Ted Johnson and the WoO even stronger.

For me personally I like my sprint cars like the ladies, topless.
I didn’t mean for them to compete directly. I was thinking the series stay indiana/Illinois and help guys go to the next level (all stars and WOO) like BOSS and USAC now.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/16/22, 12:27 AM   #8
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedFan2019 View Post
I didn’t mean for them to compete directly. I was thinking the series stay indiana/Illinois and help guys go to the next level (all stars and WOO) like BOSS and USAC now.
MOWA has Illinois pretty much to itself with 410 wing stuff. Only 410 engines west of the Mississippi, (excluding Northern Kalifornia), go to either Knoxville or Farmington, MO Saturday nights. Huset's is trying to get a weekly 410 deal established again on Sunday nights. Any further west and it's all 360 engine wing stuff like ASCS National and all their regional series.
Last edited by opnwhlmnd; 2/16/22 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Brain cramp

4 members like this post: luckybuc97, racenut69, sw1911, tirespinner
2/16/22, 9:42 AM   #9
Kart#51

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post

The All-Stars had shows at Circle City and Kokomo last season. They were so successful that ... wait for it ... they didn't reschedule them this season.
I was at both All Star races at Circle City. I have no idea how they didn't make any money. That place was totally packed both nights. If you notice the promoter isn't promoting the USAC races either. He's leased that out to T/E. The Kokomo race was the Rudeen race was promoted by Ronk and Stubegen who have now taken on THAT. The Rudeen race moves every year for awareness of the cause and I believe it went to I-70 for this year.

I do agree, that there is little to no appetite for winged racing in Indiana either from the promoters or fans. Its the wrong entrée in a non wing saturated fan base and I believe the perceived price point is too high as well. Again, the only winged race will be the Memorial Day standing date at Lawrenceburg for the WoO, which has been well attended in the past. I think there is a spot in the calendar in late September to run another "Hoosier Fall Classic", but I think the risk is too great for the promoters.
Last edited by Kart#51; 2/16/22 at 9:46 AM.

2 members like this post: tirespinner, treecitytornado
2/16/22, 10:33 AM   #10
rimrider69

Maybe USAC should raise the purses. These drivers got to go where the money is. I believe USAC has been paying basically the same for over thirty years, for a basic show. Sure it might be a little more at the gate, but you got to pay to play. Just saying.

2 members like this post: Dblchkrs, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why USAC needs a winged series