IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Irl bozo's!
3/28/11, 11:54 AM   #21
Re: Irl bozo's!
Gregg

Here has been my problem with IndyCars. Years ago they put Dave Steele in a Panther car. He was doing better lap times than Goodyear. The suspension broke on the car and he was along for the ride into the wall. The prevailing thought was Steele had his shot even though there was nothing he could do about the accident. Now we see this hack name Viso going on his fifth season now. He has torn up more equipment than possibly every short tracker that raced in the IRL put together. Yesterday as a lapped car he held up Simona in the latter stages of the race which is what I thought he would do given his history.

If Steele had his shot what about Viso?

I have no problems with a qualified foreigner running and Indy Car. I was pleased when Nelson Piquet came over to race the Indy 500 years ago. My problem is many of the foreign drivers they brought in in recent years could not approach the talent of a Piquet or a Fitipaldi. Most of them run IndyCars as on-the-job training not as a racer that has already built an impressive resume of racing and championships. Fact is I never heard of most of them so I suspect they couldn't draw flies to an American race track.
Last edited by Gregg; 3/28/11 at 11:56 AM.

2 members like this post: Need For Speed, SUPERDUKE
3/28/11, 12:23 PM   #22
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

I think the only thing anyone under 30 years old (people with more disposable income then me) knows about Mario Andretti is that his son owns 1/6 of the cars in the IRL (or whatever they call it today), his grandson takes up a good seat, they sold out a good driver for one with a big wallet and they have the American girl who does nothing to advance any car she races in.

I am going to try and watch all the races this year. I think the series has a chance, they race in 4 different countries and without all of them foreigners they can't pay the bills. All the rich American kids wanna race Nascar, can't blame the Brazillionaires for spending there money in Japan and Italy.

3/28/11, 1:58 PM   #23
racephoto

Seems to me some of this "negative" energy could be more well spent being positive and working toward the betterment of a portion of the sport each of you REALLY enjoy.

I don't enjoy pro wrestling, boxing, cage fighting, bowling and don't waste my time viewing them on TV. I'd much rather cut the grass or change oil in the car.

I covered the St Petersburg Grand Prix and it was like just about every other motorsports event I've been to. There were some things I really liked and some I didn't. In this perspective, it was like any sprint or late model dirt race, asphalt oval or road course or straight line racing. I went to enjoy the elements I already knew ahead of time I would appreciate. And I did! I had a great time.

The other stuff didn't bother me at all. Again, from this perspective, it was like any other motorsport's event.

Y'all need to go back and re-read (or maybe read for the first time) the story Dave Argabright wrote about all of the negative attitude from dirt racing proponents.

JMHO,
Joe

4 members like this post: KRJoyce1, richie, Russ, Seadog
3/28/11, 2:33 PM   #24
Russell Ficklin

I think they could solve a lot of their problems in Indycar if they would put the engines back in the front and replace those road races with dirt tracks!

5 members like this post: dirtball, JEFFSTOY, Need For Speed, SUPERDUKE, Xflagman
3/28/11, 7:20 PM   #25
Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ficklin View Post
I think they could solve a lot of their problems in Indycar if they would put the engines back in the front and replace those road races with dirt tracks!
Here we go again, 40-50 year old argument....

3/28/11, 7:42 PM   #26
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

The problem is they don't have a niche. Sprint cars and cars like them are unique. Top fuelers are unique. Stock cars are unique. Indy cars? Oh, hello F1! The guys who can't make it in F1 fall back on Indy cars.
Posted using Mobile Device

3/28/11, 7:49 PM   #27
Predator

There is so much stuff that I disagree with, that I dont even know where to start. If you dont enjoy the road racing aspect of it, watch NASCAR. If you dont like the foreign aspect, blame NASCAR and a lack of American road racing talent. If NASCAR wasn't the big thing INDYCAR would have Robby Gordon, AJ Allmendinger, Tony Stewart and possibly Scott Speed and Ryan Newman to name a few. You complain about rich kids, but that is every form of racing I can think of. I guess being a pro INDYCAR and con Nascar or anything with doors or fenders my point is, you are on here crying worse than the people you are crying about. Instead of trying to point out everything thats wrong with something and why YOU want nothing to do with it, why not use those 5 minutes to go on you-tube and look up last years race from Chicago

5 members like this post: KRJoyce1, Puppy, racephoto, richie, wright59
3/29/11, 7:04 AM   #28
LocalYokel

Alot of so called race fans love to do nohing more than complain about it. Everyday its complaining and NASCAR, complaining about Indycar, complaining about winged sprint racing, complaining about modifieds. Do you guys even like auto racing at all?

I think any type of racing is great, and if its on TV than that's even better!
Posted via Mobile Device

3/29/11, 1:51 PM   #29
dave

they are qualified. They bring MONEY!

2 members like this post: JEFFSTOY, SUPERDUKE
3/29/11, 1:56 PM   #30
SUPERDUKE
Banned

I really don't care much anymore! The powers to be know nothing about racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! American race fans want midget and sprint car divers working there way up to indy!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Irl bozo's!