IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > pros and cons fuel bladder
1/11/16, 11:14 PM   #1
pros and cons fuel bladder
BigBoost5.3Notch

Looking for input on fuel safe style bladder tail tanks on a mini sprint. i am not reffering to the fuel safe brand specific, just any bladder that style. We are currently using the rci with the metal housing and plastic bladder. The tank holds 4 gallons and we have not ran out of fuel in a feature (gasoline) . It is a little inconvenient to pull the tail section to refuel, but in my opinion that alone does not justify the extra money for the other style. One big question is about squaring the axle and gear changes, seems to be a lot more room with the more expensive style bladders? Any info is appreciated.

1/12/16, 9:27 AM   #2
Re: pros and cons fuel bladder
dirt40

I am also interested in this

1/12/16, 11:45 AM   #3
DAD

Big

I Assume you are talking about a Sidewinder 600c car. Most Up Right Mini Sprints do not allow metal fuel cells.

The concern is mostly safety>>Bladders being considered safer. You can probably run a feature on a little over 2 gallons of fuel. I would think that a well designed tank that was securely mounted to the frame would be considered safe to race on. The problem gets worse as the engine size increases and Methanol is introduced as fuel. A 1200cc Mini Sprint might use upward of 10 gallons in a 20 lap race, making that little fuel cell a bit hard to mount. This is when the Tail tank comes into use. They also come in 2 styles, those with and those without bladder. Bladder types are usually required by most race organizations.

One other thing to take into account is that in tail tanks most of the fuel is carried behind the rear axle changing the balance of the car. To combat this now for a little extra money they sell a fuel forward bladder that moves the fuel up and forward, Perhaps the reason for the funny looking tanks raced by Sammy Swindell at the Chili Bowl.

For now stick with what you have. Making change for change is expensive. As you go along changing classes a tail tank might be in your future, But if it works don't change it.

I would recommend getting away from gasoline That stuff was not meant for race cars.

Honest Dad himself

1/12/16, 1:50 PM   #4
cws9

I cut a hole in the top, flat part of my tail section big enough to get my hand down in there to open the RCI cap. Then I use a long funnel from the parts store. Fits perfectly. No need to pull tail section off. I'm also on gas and only put in what I need for that race. Usually never more than a gallon at any time. I can run a 20 lap main on a 3/8 track with less than a gallon.

1/12/16, 4:35 PM   #5
BigBoost5.3Notch

Dad, thanks for the great reply as usual. The car actually is a upright 1000cc. Didn't see the tank being a issue because of the plastic liner...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > pros and cons fuel bladder