IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
D.O. (Offline)
  #1 4/29/10 4:42 PM
I have heard from solid source's that this years Hooiser 100 will be red flagged at lap 51.

This red flag is for the fans hoping to add some excitment. Not a fuel red.

Add fuel change tires, adjust the cars.

Change tire start in the rear.

Then restarted double file !!!!

This is asked by the promoter of USAC to make it more exciting for the fans.

They have to run regulation silver crown fuel tanks no small ones.
[Some teams thought about putting the smaller sprint car tank on]

I'm not sure what to say about this ???

What does everybody think about the New Hoosier 100 ????

So after talking with Bob and thinking about this here is the deal

Bob Sargent is probally the last promoter in line to keep the Hoosier 100 ALIVE!!
Other groups have tried and have lost money
SO Bob has come up with this idea to add excitment to the Hoosier 100

Modifieds will be running that night which should help make the track wider and better for the SIlver Crown cars.

Bob understands tradition but also knows something needs to be changed to make this more exciting for the fans in the stands.

USAC Silver Crown car owners had even agreed to run heat races at the Hoosier 100. Bob shot that down.

Bob feels that the number of red flags in the past Hoosier 100 didn't upset the fans as it was a part of the action of the night.

So if a red comes out after lap 35 that will count as the lap 51 red flag.

If the race gets to lap 51 and the red flag waves it will be for only 5 to 10 minutes at the most. Bob wants it to be only 5 minutes long.

In this 5 minutes the fans can get a drink and popcorn, talk to their neighbor sitting next to them and get caught up on the race by the announcer? [normally you can't hear while the race is on].
What's bad about that?

As many have been to my various Racin'-Fest and we have tried different stuff. Kokomo a 50 lap feature with a red at 40 then double file restart. Putnamville a yellow at lap 25 of 30. Kokomo midgets with passing points, etc, etc.

Most fans liked those changes at those races, so what is different?

Why not try something different, it gets the fans talking, draws intrest to the Hoosier 100 and fixes what normally is a race that somebody leads all 100 laps.

How much talk has this caused? In past years how much did you talk about this event this far ahead of the race date??

Bottom line is if change doesn't fix this event and fans don't come this will in all probality could be the last of the 1 mile events.

Bob Sargent will be on the Racin' with DO show May 10th. Come talk with him or send me your questions.
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #2 4/29/10 4:55 PM
The only time an unnatural stoppage in a race is a good thing, is when it's done for safety purposes. No exceptions.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
6 Likes: cope42, FishBurger, Jimmydiesel, Pat O'Connor Fan, SprintManDave, team3521
jfry1 (Offline)
  #3 4/29/10 5:03 PM
Originally Posted by D.O.:

They have to run regulation silver crown fuel tanks no small ones.

I dont understand that?
miledirt (Offline)
  #4 4/29/10 5:03 PM
I live in the St. Louis area, have been to a ton of DuQuoin and Springfield Silver Crown races and maybe a 1/2 dozen or so at Indy

I love the Silver Crown races on the dirt miles...

The Hoosier 100 last year wasn't the most exciting race, I'll agree - but if I were the promoter I would leave it alone another year or two and see how this thing works out with adding the mods. That should bring some more fans and cut down on the down time that night, making the whole event and evening more entertaining.
mortboyz
  #5 4/29/10 5:05 PM
I agree with Jerry...
STIDA.com (Offline)
  #6 4/29/10 5:12 PM
Jerry said it all!!! Does Tradition mean anything anymore?
2 Likes: MickeyD, Pat O'Connor Fan
speed bump (Offline)
  #7 4/29/10 5:13 PM
I hate it when they stop a race for fuel.
If theyre going to do that, Let`s make it a twin 50
Then they might have two good races.
3 Likes: 767, billwill7, JEFFSTOY
guysky
  #8 4/29/10 5:27 PM
Agree very bad idea. Twin 50, yes just crown two winners if you want to make a "better" show. Is this the same bad thinking as in Knoxville? Don't take the SPRINT out of the cars.
GregD (Offline)
  #9 4/29/10 5:28 PM
Jerry has got it right. That will change my plans, vote with your billfold.

Is Track Enterprises still promoting the race? If you don't like the idea they need to hear your voice.
apexonephoto (Offline)
  #10 4/29/10 5:47 PM
I don't usually agree with tradition deciding things. Stopping a race to me is something I have never thought was a good idea. That just gives it the impression of 51 parade laps followed by a 49 lap race. Sure you have to make it through those first 51, and your position on lap 50 will affect your position on lap 52 and so on. I think (2) 50 lap races are a better idea. I still do think people should support Silver Crown races and the Indy Mile, maybe just voice your opinion to the promotor. If I didn't live 5 hours from Indy I would go, and if you've never been it's a pretty neat place.