IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Injured GI's
11/27/12, 5:51 PM   #1
Injured GI's
Bad Dad 54

Ok Christmas is coming up, while sending out your cards can fill out one or more for the injured soldiers.

Recovering American Soldier
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Ave
NW Washington DC
20307-5001

I'm not a veteran but these people put it on the line for us, don't let them feel forgotten

11/27/12, 7:49 PM   #2
Re: Injured GI's
Sawdust101

I just want to pass this on because it can change someones life. I was in the Air Force during Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Was stationed in Jeddah Saudi Arabia where we were preping for B-52s to come in. This was 90/91 and my point is that we got tons of Christmas cards from all over and allot of schools did a class project to send cards. We would just pass by the bins and get a few read them and drop a note back to them. This one I got one day wrote back and even today we are still in contact with each other. I flew her down for my retirement from the Air Force in 2001. I also went to her college graduation 2003 then her wedding 2004 and made her one of my Bridgeport Rockers as a gift. Just saying you don't know how much a simple card means to someone, show them we care! Here is the the card I picked out that day, I still have it!!!!
Attached Images
IMG_0971.JPG (554.6 KB, 66 views)

11/27/12, 9:10 PM   #3
Pat O'Connor Fan

Thank you, Bad Dad 54 for posting this. This is something we all should do for the wounded servicemen.

11/28/12, 9:45 PM   #4
Bad Dad 54

Don't thank me - thank those service men & women

3 members like this post: erich45, racegal, weirracing
11/30/12, 3:47 PM   #5
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

I am not 100% sure of this, so check it out to keep me honest, but since the renaming of Walter Reed Hospital, i think this program has been changed over to a different address and is running thru the Red Cross. The address i got for this program is now:
Holiday Mail for Heroes
P.O. Box 5456
Capitol Heights, Md 20791-5456

As stated before, double check me on this, but there would be nothing worse then sending Christmas cards, meant with such great thoughts to a dead letter box. Also their suggestions are:
-use a generic salutation, such as "Dear Service Member".
-personally sign each card sent.
-do not include personal email , home address, photos, or other inserts.
- & avoid sending cards with glitter (could be harmful to the health of the recovering soldier).
I hope this helps, another idea is to bundle several cards in one package, make 10 recovering soldiers happy instead of just 1. Bring a smile to a recovering soldier, we owe them so much. bob.

1 member likes this post: Eldora Three
11/30/12, 3:51 PM   #6
HARFprez

& THANKS Bad Dad 54 for even thinking of this. It;s one of those little things that mean so much to a recovering soldier, bob.

1 member likes this post: dstensland
12/17/12, 3:39 PM   #7
HARFprez

Unfortunatly, both of these address' are bogus. Bad dad's original post turns out to be an urban legend (post office will not delivery anything with a generic "Recovering American Soldier" type label and the one i posted had to be individual cards received by Dec. 7th. I sent a bundle of 20 cards in 1 package and received them back today. Later finding out because of security problems they do not accept bundled cards, a few bucks shot to he11, but it was a great idea. SO, to any SOLDIER out there. wounded or otherwise, let me speak for all of us racing fans, Thanking You for your service & wishing you a wonderful and safe Christmas and New Years, bob & vicki.

1 member likes this post: dirt330
12/19/12, 8:48 PM   #8
lovindirt

I was in Desert Storm Desert Shield also and I remember those cards from kids, and conversed with one for a while also. it was very nice to talk to someone as you said.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Injured GI's