IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > *** Circle City Raceway
3/7/23, 3:27 PM   #1
*** Circle City Raceway
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Circle City Raceway has changed their schedule. They have taken virtually all of the "Local" Non-wing sprints off their schedule and put steel block sprints in place for some of them. They are going to miss a fantastic opportunity to take on Friday nights after the loss of regular shows at Gas City.

1 member likes this post: WinglessLovers
3/7/23, 5:26 PM   #2
Re: *** Circle City Raceway
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankytoo View Post
They are going to miss a fantastic opportunity to take on Friday nights after the loss of regular shows at Gas City.
????

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/sho...d.php?t=122611

1 member likes this post: OnTheHammer
3/7/23, 5:33 PM   #3
OnTheHammer

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankytoo View Post
Circle City Raceway has changed their schedule. They have taken virtually all of the "Local" Non-wing sprints off their schedule and put steel block sprints in place for some of them. They are going to miss a fantastic opportunity to take on Friday nights after the loss of regular shows at Gas City.
Circle City has a very nice mix of 305 Winged Sprints, BOSS NW Sprints, FAST Winged Sprints, Steel Block Sprints, TQ and Kenyon Midgets. Not sure how they are missing ANY opportunities.

Spanktoo, maybe you should be promoting instead of the Van Meters.

4 members like this post: B99, nathans1012, sjracer26, Stevensville Mike
3/7/23, 6:38 PM   #4
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Dont know what the ???? is for they have left a BUNCH of friday nights out of their schedule. If Circle City was smart they would run those open fridays with 410's. I was planning on making most if not all of those Circle City races but if they are switched to the steel blocks then nevermind I will go someplace else and I live just across town..

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: PAW, spankytoo, WinglessLovers
3/7/23, 6:48 PM   #5
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Would this have anything to do with it?

Indiana bill aims to address noise complaints from residents near Marion County Fairgrounds
Residents near Circle City Raceway on Fisher Road say winter is the only time of year they can enjoy the sound of silence around their homes.

Author: Emily Longnecker
Published: 6:57 PM EST January 23, 2023
Updated: 6:57 PM EST January 23, 2023
INDIANAPOLIS — On Fisher Road on the city's south side, cars come and go, but this is the time of year neighbors can enjoy the sound of silence.

"It is quiet right now. It isn't spring, summer or fall," Melissa Perry said.

That's when the sound of stock cars racing can be heard all the time.

"This is every weekend — every single weekend," Perry explained, saying the noise doesn't sound much different from her front yard about a mile away.

Perry said it bothers her, but this isn't just about her.

"It's about everyone that lives around it," she said.

Perry's neighbors all have signs in their front yard that say, "Stop the Noise."

The noise comes from the Circle City Raceway, a track built at the Marion County Fairgrounds nearly two years ago. But it's not just an issue during the county fair, which runs from late June through early July.

"We all knew when we moved in, 10 days out of [the] year, it was going to be a little noisy. It was going to be more traffic," Perry said. "We all knew that because we're moving next to the fairgrounds. But we didn't all sign up for this."

The city-county council member who represents the area said the fairgrounds got approval from the city to host races throughout the year.

Mitch Gore, the state representative who represents the area, said that hasn't stopped people from complaining about the noise.

"It's been the number one source of complaints from our neighbors since I've been elected," Gore said.

He's sponsoring a bill that would require the Marion County Fairgrounds to build noise barriers if they have more than five races a year that run outside their regular fair times.

"I think the fairgrounds needs to remember while they do this, they also need to be good neighbors," Gore said.

Marion County Fairgrounds sent 13News a statement, which said they look forward to reviewing the proposed bill.

Perry hopes the bill goes somewhere, so she and her neighbors won't have to when they want to escape the noise.

"All we want is a little peace and quiet," Perry said.

HB 1100 has been assigned to the local government committee, but so far, hasn't received a hearing.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"
Last edited by Dirtfan; 3/7/23 at 6:59 PM.

3/7/23, 7:10 PM   #6
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Dont know what the ???? is for they have left a BUNCH of friday nights out of their schedule.
Gas City is running Friday Nights seven times in 2023. Add four more USAC events to make it eleven.

If you discount the double weekend in April and Smackdown at Kokomo, they are running nine weekends, and they are held in the highest of honor.

So what do you want to call weekly? Every weekend from April to September? I personally think Gas City has a very stout 2023 calendar. Sure, they have openings every other Friday, or so, but what are we comparing them to up in the northern half of Indiana?

It's up to Circle City to take advantage of the gaps for the Summer of 2023. Of course, that would take effort on their part. They are a tad closer to Bloomington Speedway than Gas City. The former runs Fridays, also.

The ball is in their court.

2 members like this post: OnTheHammer, tirespinner
3/7/23, 7:40 PM   #7
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Gas City is running Friday Nights seven times in 2023. Add four more USAC events to make it eleven.

If you discount the double weekend in April and Smackdown at Kokomo, they are running nine weekends, and they are held in the highest of honor.

So what do you want to call weekly? Every weekend from April to September? I personally think Gas City has a very stout 2023 calendar. Sure, they have openings every other Friday, or so, but what are we comparing them to up in the northern half of Indiana?

It's up to Circle City to take advantage of the gaps for the Summer of 2023. Of course, that would take effort on their part. They are a tad closer to Bloomington Speedway than Gas City. The former runs Fridays, also.

The ball is in their court.
My point is they left alot of fridays open and Circle City could have taken advantage but they decided to go with the steel blocks which will result in less sprint cars and less fans. And yes I call weekly every weekend. Look at LPS Paragon and for the most part Bloomington. Those are the only tracks left running sprint cars every weekend. Even weekends when other tracks are running sanctioned races.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

4 members like this post: flagboy55, Stevensville Mike, tirespinner, WinglessLovers
3/7/23, 8:22 PM   #8
sp6967

the way expenses are i'm not sure how many car owners can afford to race every week.

3/7/23, 10:40 PM   #9
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
My point is they left alot of fridays open and Circle City could have taken advantage but they decided to go with the steel blocks which will result in less sprint cars and less fans. And yes I call weekly every weekend. Look at LPS Paragon and for the most part Bloomington. Those are the only tracks left running sprint cars every weekend. Even weekends when other tracks are running sanctioned races.
I hear you now, John. Took me a re-read there to catch up with your pitches that I wasn't catching.

I was coming from the angle that it looked like Gas City might be done and dusted for 2023. I was glad to see they are running something weekly.

Or should I say "weakly"?

The ball is still in Circle City's court and they look like they are turning left vice following the main road given as you noted. Point well made.

Double eye poke taken, Moe!
Last edited by Stevensville Mike; 3/7/23 at 10:56 PM.

2 members like this post: racefan20, tirespinner
3/8/23, 6:20 AM   #10
Scott42

They were always steel block races. You had to click the date to get the details then it would show the steel blocks. Still sucks though

3 members like this post: nathans1012, OnTheHammer, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > *** Circle City Raceway