IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Sprints all Dirt in 2011
12/4/10, 7:45 PM   #31
Re: USAC Sprints all Dirt in 2011
v8j

is this the start of the end or just an other change

12/4/10, 8:11 PM   #32
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerman View Post
Interesting post on the TSR Twitter, must be from the banquet tonight

http://twitter.com/tonystewart_rcg

USAC National Sprint Car Series schedule ... season finale at Perris Auto Speedway.
I thought I read somewhere that there would be no USAC races at the PAS in 2011. Glad that was wrong.

12/4/10, 8:49 PM   #33
bigmojo5

Sounds like many are saying USAC quit pavement racing. Maybe it's the other way around.

Even with support classes, it's tough for a promoter to pay the purse, let alone the other bills, if only 10 or 12 cars show up in the division.

Rear engine cars were outlawed in 1974 because it would have required two types of car. By 1977, the USAC championship was won by a team using two types of race cars. But, the roadster was OK because it was traditiional.
Whether it was the roadster or not, the numbers of pavement racing was dropping off when the tornado destroyed the stands at Salem Speedway, Dayton closed, IRP was bought by NHRA, leaving Winchester. Teams did not believe that was enough to support pavement race. When Salem rose from the weeds in 1987, the first "sprint race" was actually a super modified deal with a few old sprint cars thrown in for a non-USAC race.

When Salem reopened with a hodgepodge field of old pavement and dirt cars and its first USAC race in half a decade, the folks at ESPN saw an opportunity and the Thunder broadcasts were born with IRP, Salem and Winchester in the fold. That drove the USAC pavement division and new pavement cars. When ESPN signed major league baseball in the mid-1990s, it didn't need racing any more and pavement racing gradually fell off.

But, the real bottom line is the reason why Foyt and Hurtibise and Bettenhausen and Carter and Bigelow and most of the dozens of others drove the banks and other pavement tracks -- to get to the Indy 500 and the championship division. This was the best route to get there and the big money to be found there.

The last driver to follow that route was Ed Carpenter.

7 members like this post: FishBurger, Gregg, JCC, Need For Speed, Pat O'Connor Fan, PAW, SUPERDUKE
12/4/10, 11:14 PM   #34
supdh56

they used to run both asphalt and dirt for the USAC Champ cars also mr. Duke......But then again you didn`t have to take a blue pill back then did you! Point is , times are changing and it sucks!!!!

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
12/5/10, 12:50 AM   #35
SUPERDUKE
Banned

we run dirt cars in the 1981 pocono 500 before most of you experts where born!

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

I think taking the cages off would be great! Then we would see some real racing and real men not boys and girls driving there daddys car!!!!!!!! Hell i stated in a midget with no roll bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 member likes this post: Need For Speed
12/5/10, 2:41 AM   #36
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

A midget without a rollbar? You are old Duke! JK. I liked the 60's better and I was born in '83!
Posted via Mobile Device

12/5/10, 1:03 PM   #37
SUPERDUKE
Banned

I'am 67 first race feb. 1963 st.pete. Fla. Nascar midget race! How many started in nascar?

12/5/10, 6:09 PM   #38
Need For Speed

People kept ding-donging for better/stickier tires, and Hoosier obliged them.

Since Hoosier has no competition, they decided to jack their prices up.

End result, monoply on the tires, and people crying that the tires don't last, and cost too much.

'Technology' in some forms, is racing's worst enemy. Technology means $$. Spend the $$ for 'the latest and greatest', or start running mid pack. So people start trying to spend their way into victory lane, and end up broke, or not able to run the many, many thousand dollar 'toy' that they have already paid for, so it gets parked.

I too think it might be a good time to cut the cages off. I've seen way too much -driving right at people-, and -sticking a RR into somebody- the last few years. Several of the youngsters drive like they are never going to get hurt/hurt someone else!! Plus they are tearing up way too much equipment, and in some cases, ending some people's seasons, with their BS driving style!

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinround View Post
Soo...You think spending that kinda money on tires is a good thing Denny?
I think he is saying the Outlaws are buying the tires they need, so apparently the tires are not a 'make or break' deal for the WoO teams.

The Outlaws don't run pavement though, so they don't have a totally specialized machine sitting in the shop, that only gets run 7 times a season....now 0 times in 2011
Last edited by Need For Speed; 12/5/10 at 6:15 PM.

2 members like this post: SUPERDUKE, wbr
12/5/10, 7:07 PM   #39
petey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post
Just checked last years schedule and there were 38 dirt races and 7 pavement shows.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
If the supposed number of races for next year is 37, my only beef is USAC not replacing those pavement dates with more dirt races. Would be a good opportunity to try and run at some new tracks.
Last edited by petey; 12/5/10 at 7:08 PM.

12/5/10, 8:53 PM   #40
rj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
Aero, I can't believe I'm siding with Duke , but on this one I am. The good days were better, but you weren't here in the 70's. Salem would run twin 50's, or Quad 25's, midgets being 2 of the 25's. There were so many cars , you'd run a semi and some guys wouldn't make the A.

Yeah the same old stories I know, but the old days were better in a lot of ways.Actually better than you'll ever know.It was great being a 14 year old working on race cars back then.

What form of auto racing wasn't better in the old days?
Last edited by rj1; 12/5/10 at 8:59 PM.

3 members like this post: old timer 38, rdzsprint, SUPERDUKE
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Sprints all Dirt in 2011