IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sheldon Kinser Memorial
4/12/16, 8:07 PM   #1
Sheldon Kinser Memorial
Kinser5K

Has anyone else notice this legendary race is not on the schedule this year? I think this race has been one of Bloomington Speedway's biggest races every year. Shocked to see them not running it this year. What's everyone's thoughts on them not continuing this race?

4 members like this post: Dirtfan, DirtHawk92, dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge
4/12/16, 8:19 PM   #2
Re: Sheldon Kinser Memorial
sp6967

its b.s.

4 members like this post: dirt330, DirtHawk92, DirttrackFan62, jim goerge
4/12/16, 8:37 PM   #3
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

If they don't run it, it is an insult to his memory and perhaps their guess that fans have short memories. Unfortunately, many in the sprint car community tend to be of the "what have you done lately" mind set. I still can't believe there is no Indiana Sprint Car Hall of Fame, nor are there nearly as many memorial races as the great Indiana drivers of the past deserve. It is just sad. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I believe we need to remember the past, enjoy the present, and grow new fans for the future.

4/12/16, 8:44 PM   #4
Eatin Dirt

I had mentioned on another post that it was one of my favorite races, and I didn't see it on the schedule either. What a shame to not have this race.

4/12/16, 10:43 PM   #5
Sandy Lowe

If I had to guess why there might not be a Sheldon Kinser Memorial in 2016 I would say car count, car count, car count, and money, money, money.

Bloomington's regular 20-car feature purse (as posted on their website) is $1,400 to win/$200 to start with a total feature payout of $8,095. They also pay $100 to the cars that do not transfer out of the B Main.

The 20-car feature purse for the 2011 Sheldon Kinser Memorial was $3,000 to win/$300 to start with a total feature payout of $12,135. That year they also paid the cars that didn't transfer out of the B Main $175-$150-$125-$110-$100-$90-$80-$70-$65-$60-$50-$50-$50-$50-$50. The cars that didn't transfer out of the C Main earned $30 each.

The difference between today's regular 20-car feature purse and the 2011 Sheldon Kinser Memorial 20-car feature purse is $4,040.

I did a quick Google search and came up with these Sheldon Kinser Memorial stats:
8/13/05 Dickie Gaines (37 cars)
6/10/06 Daron Clayton (44 cars)
6/1/07 Jon Stanbrough (52 cars)
2008 -rained out-
6/26/09 Kenny Niflis (42 cars)
6/4/10 Jon Stanbrough (33 cars)
6/24/11 Chris Windom (44 cars)
7/6/12 Levi Jones (43 cars)
7/5/13 Chris Windom (36 cars)
6/27/14 Dave Darland (26 cars)
8/22/15 Nick Bilbee (29 cars)
In the past 2 seasons the Sheldon Kinser Memorial has averaged 27.5 cars. The previous 8 runnings (from 2005-2013) averaged 41.375. That is a pretty big drop off in car count.

What makes last seasons low car count even worse is that it was part of the Indiana Sprint Car Series that was heavily promoted by Sean Buckley/Jackslash. The race was taped to air on MAV-TV and Sean had several prizes available including a Hoosier tire for the feature winner. He also gave away one of the coolest feature trophies I've ever seen.

I haven't worked at Bloomington Speedway for several seasons so I have no inside scoop on what is happening with this race. I wasn't there last year, but the pic I saw on the ISCS FB page of Bilbee taking the checkered flag definitely did not look like a packed house.

Maybe Bloomington Speedway doesn't feel that promoting a special race with a purse 50% higher than their usual weekly show is worth the risk? Maybe they don't want to risk the backlash of continuing the Sheldon Kinser Memorial with a purse higher than their regular weekly show, but less than what has traditionally been offered?

Maybe the August 26th race will be the Sheldon Kinser Memorial and they are waiting to make an announcement? [Oops! I guess this won't be the Sheldon Kinser Memorial, it's the same night as the Kokomo Smackdown]
Last edited by Sandy Lowe; 4/12/16 at 11:11 PM. Reason: looked at a calendar

4/13/16, 7:26 AM   #6
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinser5K View Post
Has anyone else notice this legendary race is not on the schedule this year? I think this race has been one of Bloomington Speedway's biggest races every year. Shocked to see them not running it this year. What's everyone's thoughts on them not continuing this race?
I think a lot of people have noticed and are disappointed as well. Along with no scheduled SKM, there are no MSCS scheduled races either If USAC were not scheduling their 3 races at Blmgtn, I don't see anymore scheduled bigger paying shows.....

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

4 members like this post: DirtHawk92, dshort36, FishBurger, jim goerge
4/13/16, 7:38 AM   #7
bigq11

I called the Bloomington Speedway when the schedule first came out about this. I was told the reason for not having the Sheldon Kinser Memorial this year was that "the family had not supported the race for the last several years". Was also told his name probably would be mentioned at the Homecoming Race later in the schedule. Just not right in my opinion.

4/13/16, 7:54 AM   #8
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigq11 View Post
I called the Bloomington Speedway when the schedule first came out about this. I was told the reason for not having the Sheldon Kinser Memorial this year was that "the family had not supported the race for the last several years". Was also told his name probably would be mentioned at the Homecoming Race later in the schedule. Just not right in my opinion.
Sheldon Jr. drove my midget this past weekend and he won with it...I ask the same question and his anwser was "can not get a ride" ...If I had the funds to do a rental or add sponsorship money to a team for that race I would....Sheldon still has it as far as a driver and I know it's not much but I would put up $100 toward a ride for SKJ....anyone else with me....Maybe we all can help out for a good cause....Who else would love to see the name SHELDON KINSER go around Bloomington?

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

3 members like this post: bigq11, dshort36, S.Clayton
4/13/16, 8:04 AM   #9
staggerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe View Post
If I had to guess why there might not be a Sheldon Kinser Memorial in 2016 I would say car count, car count, car count, and money, money, money.

Bloomington's regular 20-car feature purse (as posted on their website) is $1,400 to win/$200 to start with a total feature payout of $8,095. They also pay $100 to the cars that do not transfer out of the B Main.

The 20-car feature purse for the 2011 Sheldon Kinser Memorial was $3,000 to win/$300 to start with a total feature payout of $12,135. That year they also paid the cars that didn't transfer out of the B Main $175-$150-$125-$110-$100-$90-$80-$70-$65-$60-$50-$50-$50-$50-$50. The cars that didn't transfer out of the C Main earned $30 each.

The difference between today's regular 20-car feature purse and the 2011 Sheldon Kinser Memorial 20-car feature purse is $4,040.

I did a quick Google search and came up with these Sheldon Kinser Memorial stats:
8/13/05 Dickie Gaines (37 cars)
6/10/06 Daron Clayton (44 cars)
6/1/07 Jon Stanbrough (52 cars)
2008 -rained out-
6/26/09 Kenny Niflis (42 cars)
6/4/10 Jon Stanbrough (33 cars)
6/24/11 Chris Windom (44 cars)
7/6/12 Levi Jones (43 cars)
7/5/13 Chris Windom (36 cars)
6/27/14 Dave Darland (26 cars)
8/22/15 Nick Bilbee (29 cars)
In the past 2 seasons the Sheldon Kinser Memorial has averaged 27.5 cars. The previous 8 runnings (from 2005-2013) averaged 41.375. That is a pretty big drop off in car count.

What makes last seasons low car count even worse is that it was part of the Indiana Sprint Car Series that was heavily promoted by Sean Buckley/Jackslash. The race was taped to air on MAV-TV and Sean had several prizes available including a Hoosier tire for the feature winner. He also gave away one of the coolest feature trophies I've ever seen.

I haven't worked at Bloomington Speedway for several seasons so I have no inside scoop on what is happening with this race. I wasn't there last year, but the pic I saw on the ISCS FB page of Bilbee taking the checkered flag definitely did not look like a packed house.

Maybe Bloomington Speedway doesn't feel that promoting a special race with a purse 50% higher than their usual weekly show is worth the risk? Maybe they don't want to risk the backlash of continuing the Sheldon Kinser Memorial with a purse higher than their regular weekly show, but less than what has traditionally been offered?

Maybe the August 26th race will be the Sheldon Kinser Memorial and they are waiting to make an announcement? [Oops! I guess this won't be the Sheldon Kinser Memorial, it's the same night as the Kokomo Smackdown]
Back when the event started it was a big paying show and those were far and few between in IN. Now guys can run 20+ races paying above 3k to win by hitting all the specials that all the tracks put on plus the sanction races with MSCS, USAC, etc. Plus history has shown lately the higher the purse the smaller the car count. I would be ok if they just put it as one of their regular nights to keep the name and tradition alive.

4/13/16, 8:50 AM   #10
dshort36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigq11 View Post
its sad but as new people come in the doors traditions seems to go out the window..maybe the family cant support it financially but they have been there..and not even asked to present the trophy..the memorial could still go on even if it were a regular show just to honor this man and what he has accomplished in the racing world. maybe even another track would do so..

don short

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sheldon Kinser Memorial