IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midgets at Southern Illinois Center Feb 7th
1/29/15, 5:42 PM   #31
KJHolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Spartan

I guess you were up to the early hours SIM Racing last night. I clicked on the link Chase provided but I did not get much out of the action, and it put me to sleep. It is however the first time that I ever watched a car nerf another car in the rear bumper and disappear inside the other car.

Maybe you guys could plug some numbers in your algorithm and allow stock block and 1000cc cars to race also and see how they compete in the cyber world?

My problem isn't really drinking any more, I used to be pretty good at it but it got to where I had my hangovers before I went to bed so I gave it up. My reason for posting at 3 AM in the morning is something called Sleep Apnea. That means I sleep hooked up to a supercharger. Well it has been harder to sleep lately so I went in for an evaluation and the guy upped my pressure 1" of water. Now my face mask "Farts" all night long and I can't sleep with all that darned farting going on.

I did a little more figuring and it looks like the National Midget front runners have about a 6% advantage over the stock block Midgets on a 1/4 mile track, that figures out about $3333.00 for every percentage point gain in lap time. Don't forget these are the best of the best drivers turning these times in the National Midgets, and the guys in the stock blocks are armatures.

Just like the "World of Outlaws" expect to pay more at the gate to watch a "National Midgets" race.

Racing is expensive>

Honest Dad himself
I'm not 100% sure why you took a shot at Chase and the link he provided. I have gained numerous friends in the racing community that otherwise I would have never had the opportunity to come in contact with, if it wasn't for Sim Racing. And I will second what Chase said, while sim racing you are thinking how you would in a race car, you are using the same movements as you would in a real car, and unlike controller games such as "madden" or "nba2k" you are physically doing what you would be doing if you were in deed in a real car.

So, I'm glad we put you to sleep, it's a shame your "farting" mouth, I mean mask kept waking you up... Here's a YouTube link that can help you sleep tonight.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivs6EripxgU

"Honest sim racer himself"
Last edited by KJHolley; 1/29/15 at 5:46 PM.

1/29/15, 5:47 PM   #32
cbaumeyer48

There seems to be a lot of experience and intelligence being displayed here today! With that being noted: can someone .....PLEASE come up with a common easy to recognize name for the 1000 cc , Midget Based Frame car...... So I can stop calling it a "Mini Sprint!".... It's hard at 6' 3" and 235 lbs to use the word mini! C'Mon Man!!! Lol
Last edited by cbaumeyer48; 1/29/15 at 5:49 PM.

2 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, DAD
1/29/15, 5:56 PM   #33
Re: Midgets at Southern Illinois Center Feb 7th
Chase Briscoe

Quote:
Chase

I tried that link. The view I got was confusing. Is their also one from the drivers seat perspective. You kids were raised around computers and computer games. As close as I got was Pin Ball. I guess you guys raced all night long right? That announcer sounded like he was from down under so I would assume the race was world wide.

As far as Mini Sprints EchoTecs etc. They are all based of of a standard Midget chassis. Sprints have classes right, they all share the same basic chassis but from there on they may be very different animals. They start out at 305's when I was coming up 302 sprints were the hot set up and some great drivers raced them, however the tires in those days were also very different.

Would having different classes for Midgets be too far off base?

Right now the way most rules are written we exclude one another from racing against one another. Like segregation once divided people in the past. What I wish would happen is that we racers would release all of these restrictive rules and allow all of these Midget chassis Based cars to race under the term MIDGET in perhaps several classes.

Honest Dad himself.
That link was a live broadcast of the Chili Bowl on the game. Think it had over 150 entries this year. There are three commentators... Brett Wheeler who is Australian, none other than Jackslash's own Sean Buckley who has found his inner race car driver and enjoys racing on there almost nightly, and then Mike Burba. Last night was the final night (Saturday in real life) we started on Sunday with the first of three prelim nights, last night they started with two "F" mains and raced all the way to the 55 lap A-Main. On the game its self you race from the cockpit view but last night what you watched was a live broadcast (such as Dirtvision, USAC Live, XSAN, etc.)

As for the names, I think lightning sprints is pretty catchy.

1/29/15, 6:03 PM   #34
cbaumeyer48

I agree with all those who run the full on midget powered engines, if its confusing to the customer/fan , it's potentially bad for both groups. I respect the guys running the more costly equipment , it takes some skilled people to pilot those rides . Chase, been watching you for years along with Kevin back in the day (was my favorite at Haubstadt ), but unfortunately for me, my time has passed.... Marriage, kids, coaching wrestling, and baseball prohibit the kind of commitment required to make those cars part of my life! The 1000 cc class was the right fit for me to live out my dream of piloting an open wheel car around Tri-state (just like some of my hero's did back in the 80's and 90's). If someone could help produce a much more professional sounding and catchy name, I believe we could put this issue to bed! Looking forward to seeing all of you at the tracks this summer!

1/29/15, 6:08 PM   #35
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Briscoe View Post
That link was a live broadcast of the Chili Bowl on the game. Think it had over 150 entries this year. There are three commentators... Brett Wheeler who is Australian, none other than Jackslash's own Sean Buckley who has found his inner race car driver and enjoys racing on there almost nightly, and then Mike Burba. Last night was the final night (Saturday in real life) we started on Sunday with the first of three prelim nights, last night they started with two "F" mains and raced all the way to the 55 lap A-Main. On the game its self you race from the cockpit view but last night what you watched was a live broadcast (such as Dirtvision, USAC Live, XSAN, etc.)

As for the names, I think lightning sprints is pretty catchy.
Chase

Why don't you guys mount some in car cams in your SIM cars? What time was the main race over?

What if we wanted to race with the EchoTec Midgets? would that be PC? Or would we be frowned upon for wanting to do so? Were we wrong in including the Focus, Echotecs and Honda Midgets in the race at Du Quoin?

Honest SIM is that the name you race under?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/29/15 at 6:20 PM.

1/29/15, 6:15 PM   #36
Chase Briscoe

Quote:
Chase

Why don't you guys mount some in car cams in your cars?

What if we wanted to race with the EchoTec Midgets? would that be PC. Or would we be frowned upon for wanting to do so? Were we wrong in including the Focus, Echotecs and Honda Midgets in the race at Du Quoin?

Honest SIM is that the name you race under?

Honest Dad himself
Believe it or not you can put a GoPro on your sim car if you are really into that kind of thing! I am excited to see how competitive all the classes are there!

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/29/15, 6:40 PM   #37
dirtrack

I have raced mini's for 20 years and love them. Most bang for your buck in racing. Love to watch Midgets, but don't feel like I am driving a midget when we take the wings off our mini. Here is the truth, without wings we are 1 second slower than midgets at Macon. At Lincoln IL we are nearly 2 seconds slower than midgets. Both classes are great, but not the same. I don't want to be like a mall cop telling people he works in law enforcement. I'm OK, your OK, we can all be friends, but I race mini sprints.

5 members like this post: DAD, Leohr46, red70racer, sprint72, TQ97
1/29/15, 6:42 PM   #38
DAD

Chase

That would beat what I was watching,then if I could pick and choose my drivers that would really be nice. What I clicked on was boring. Maybe some more long shots so I could watch the whole track and all the cars at one time.

Maybe you can line us up a SIM race of DuQuoin. It should be one fun race, and if you are a racer that is what you should be looking forward to.

I bet I could bring 5 beat up old tricycles into the pits and the real racers would be racing on them things between races as hard or harder that they race with the cars.

Honest Dad himself

1/29/15, 6:45 PM   #39
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrack View Post
I have raced mini's for 20 years and love them. Most bang for your buck in racing. Love to watch Midgets, but don't feel like I am driving a midget when we take the wings off our mini. Here is the truth, without wings we are 1 second slower than midgets at Macon. At Lincoln IL we are nearly 2 seconds slower than midgets. Both classes are great, but not the same. I don't want to be like a mall cop telling people he works in law enforcement. I'm OK, your OK, we can all be friends, but I race mini sprints.
Dirt

How close are you to the Echotec times?
With the wings on how far are you off from the Midget times?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/29/15 at 6:48 PM.

1/29/15, 6:53 PM   #40
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaumeyer48 View Post
I agree with all those who run the full on midget powered engines, if its confusing to the customer/fan , it's potentially bad for both groups. I respect the guys running the more costly equipment , it takes some skilled people to pilot those rides . Chase, been watching you for years along with Kevin back in the day (was my favorite at Haubstadt ), but unfortunately for me, my time has passed.... Marriage, kids, coaching wrestling, and baseball prohibit the kind of commitment required to make those cars part of my life! The 1000 cc class was the right fit for me to live out my dream of piloting an open wheel car around Tri-state (just like some of my hero's did back in the 80's and 90's). If someone could help produce a much more professional sounding and catchy name, I believe we could put this issue to bed! Looking forward to seeing all of you at the tracks this summer!
Chris

Speed Car?

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midgets at Southern Illinois Center Feb 7th