IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters
1/5/18, 3:30 PM   #31
JDK222

More money is spent on custom painted helmets per year than shocks.......

1/5/18, 3:33 PM   #32
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankytoo View Post
USAC had a meeting with USAC car owners and no one else was told about it.
This statement isn’t true. I’m neither a car owner or driver and I knew about the meeting.

I’m certain every USAC licensed car owner was informed by USAC about the meeting. I heard about the meeting via social media - a Facebook post I think.

What more is USAC supposed to do? If you want to make certain you are made aware of these things join USAC.

1/5/18, 5:57 PM   #33
Re: USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
I guess if the only 2 choices are a concussion from my seat without a crash or you hitting your head on the wall, then it makes perfect sense. Except there are other ways to do it that don't cause unnecessary harm, but thats a fact, not just my opinion! Concussions are no joke, lots of careers cut short by them. FC is NOT the end-all, be-all that some think they are. I'd be more worried about cockpit incursion than my head hitting the wall.
First of all, I'm a firm believer that it is best to have some sort of "mechanism" to keep the driver's head within the confines of the cockpit/roll cage at all times. I have concluded that the head nets provide satisfactory protection to achieve that goal. While not necessarily "against" the full containment seats I believe their current design could pose some hazard that they are actually attempting to prevent. As I read the SFI 39.2 specification, the head restraint is supposed to accept a certain load, imposed to simulate impact, with deformation to be limited to the specification. Essentially, what I glean from this is the seat head restraint/halo is supposed to be very stiff. My issue with this stems from research by Dr. Bennet Omalu that suggests that concussions are not only caused by outward impact but that the brain, which is suspended in a viscous liquid inside the skull, can "rattle around" inside the skull, breaking through the liquid and impacting the inside of the skull causing brain injury when the head is moving and suddenly stops, as if hitting the head rest during a violent episode. The padding on both the seat and inside the helmet cushion this to some degree but I'm not sold that the full containment seat prevents what I've described from happening and, quite possibly, might promote this type of brain injury. My opinion is that the head nets offer the same protection without as sudden a stop of the head thereby lessening the possibility of internal brain injury. There are other issues with the full containment seats that I question, such as cockpit egress in both an emergency (fire) and extrication after a wreck. I like the fact that the head nets can be easily removed to allow exit. I will say, though, that I am a fan of the shoulder supports and other aspects of the seats.

It is just my opinion that I would like to see more research done on seat construction with regard to head restraint before I spend the required dollars to get a seat that complies with the specification.

Tim Simmons

6 members like this post: chrismattlin, JG40, LRP36, spicoli, Tony74, TQ29m
1/5/18, 6:36 PM   #34
kcarm92

Tim, you make to much sense,lol most people that are making this mandatory has never been in a Sprint car or late model before , our sport doesn't care about concussions, if they did after a flip or violent crash they would do a concession protocol, just like any sport.If no ambulance ride to hospital nothing gets done to check it out,

4 members like this post: bighd0522, LRP36, Pat O'Connor Fan, spicoli
1/5/18, 8:46 PM   #35
treecitytornado

No issues with the Newer Butlerbuilt seats! Check out the Slidejob! I had no issues with my regular Sprint Advantage seats either, since my first New one in 2003.

1/5/18, 11:12 PM   #36
cshuman

You realize your slidejob butler seat isn’t SFI certified? Neither is any of the current containment seats currently being used in sprint cars?

6 members like this post: Bland65, jscott101, LRP36, Mattmac05, Pat O'Connor Fan, PIT CART
1/5/18, 11:49 PM   #37
hairracer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuman View Post
You realize your slidejob butler seat isn’t SFI certified? Neither is any of the current containment seats currently being used in sprint cars?
So Casey what you a saying is that ever USAC driver will either have to buy a new seat that is SFI rated or hope at a lesser expense be able to get their seat certified.

1 member likes this post: cshuman
1/5/18, 11:58 PM   #38
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

http://www.sfifoundation.com/wp-cont...9.2_082517.pdf

1/6/18, 12:20 AM   #39
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
I was being a little sarcastic but in truth Everyone has a price.
Gotcha. Sarcasm doesn't translate so well on the Net, without facial expressions or tone of voice, which is why I use the

1/6/18, 12:21 AM   #40
cshuman

Yes

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters