IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Promoter Coming to Gas City?
1/18/18, 9:31 PM   #51
Re: New Promoter Coming to Gas City?
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
I think the last promoter that ran Gas City weekly tried that. Sprints, midgets, modifieds, and thunder cars. That was the season they shut down early and haven’t ran weekly since. Not that it would be impossible to make it work, but it was attempted before without much success.
I think you are referring to Mel Botkin back in 2014? I know another problem he had which was completely out of his control was the weather that late Spring/early Summer. If it could rain on any given day, it would rain on Friday at Gas City. The luck was incredible. All bad. The guy couldn't get a break.

When he pulled the plug mid way through the year, wasn't there a story about how he even took all of the food from the concession stands, too?

2 members like this post: fish, tirespinner
1/19/18, 6:04 PM   #52
FEATHERDUSTER

Speaking for myself the reasons I enjoy Kokomo Speedway over Gas City is........
1.The track is always clean even during the big$ shows.
2. Kokomo doesn't allow taping off seats till you purchase your ticket.
3. The staff is always friendly.

Nothing worse then to travel for several hours then stand in a ticket line for 1/2 to 1 hour only to find out someone taped off seats in April and there still taped off.

4 members like this post: Bobv, Leohr46, ossuks, TNRustler
1/19/18, 8:00 PM   #53
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEATHERDUSTER View Post
Speaking for myself the reasons I enjoy Kokomo Speedway over Gas City is........
1.The track is always clean even during the big$ shows.
2. Kokomo doesn't allow taping off seats till you purchase your ticket.
3. The staff is always friendly.

Nothing worse then to travel for several hours then stand in a ticket line for 1/2 to 1 hour only to find out someone taped off seats in April and there still taped off.
Gosh, I didn't know I had to choose one. I like them both. I also enjoy LPS, B'ton, L'burg, etc... Bottom line, I'm very happy that Gas City is back in the mix.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.
Last edited by PJ Wright; 1/19/18 at 8:03 PM.

1/20/18, 2:13 PM   #54
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Now if they would just get the new website up so we all know what going on with the track http://www.gascityi69speedway.org I hope they are able to keep the track going for a long time to come. We love racing our UMP Modifieds there even though it's a 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 hour drive from Northwest Indiana. What ever they decide to do going forward I hope they are successful with the track. We've already started talking about it and we hope to make a few trips there this year.
Last edited by nathans1012; 1/20/18 at 2:17 PM. Reason: i

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, EBookerFan, interpreter66
1/20/18, 3:53 PM   #55
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
Now if they would just get the new website up so we all know what going on with the track http://www.gascityi69speedway.org I hope they are able to keep the track going for a long time to come. We love racing our UMP Modifieds there even though it's a 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 hour drive from Northwest Indiana. What ever they decide to do going forward I hope they are successful with the track. We've already started talking about it and we hope to make a few trips there this year.
He is working on getting someone to do the website. My guess would be a few weeks.

4 members like this post: nathans1012, oppweld, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
1/20/18, 8:14 PM   #56
Melmo

Well I haven't said much lately but its looks like there are several have much to say good bad or whatever! I think since there are so many that knows so much & like posting about it they should start posting & talking to people about helping the new promoter on getting some good yearly sponsors and some good backing then we can have some good racing no matter what they race & be able to race more than a season!
Ok! Jerry Shaw hit me hard or my spelling and punctuation!!!😁

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, PIT CART
1/20/18, 10:02 PM   #57
PushEm

I think it will be a very good thing going forward. Very active promoter and only wants the best. Revieved a phone call last week about pushing there this year but due to a possibility of working another Friday track I was unable to help. But overall I am very much looking forward to this and it is a big help for Reese, Rowdy, and the rest of the staff to focus on Kokomo only this year. Will only make both places better. Looking forward to putting up the new lights at Kokomo when I get back from Florida.

Early indications are 20+ shows at Gas City FYI

Best of luck to him and look forward to helping out when I can.

1/21/18, 9:17 PM   #58
chracing17

Anything confirmed on if they are running midgets for sure? Weekly or part time? Full midgets or D2?

1/21/18, 9:38 PM   #59
racefan20

I think that the only thing actually confirmed right now is that Jerry Gappens will be the new promoter next year. Everything else on this thread is people dreaming about how the promoter should spend his money on their idea of their dream weekly show. Look at the other thread on this subject and you will see why its unlikely that they will run both sprints and midgets weekly.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, Melmo, Pat O'Connor Fan, PJ Wright
1/22/18, 4:59 PM   #60
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
I think that the only thing actually confirmed right now is that Jerry Gappens will be the new promoter next year. Everything else on this thread is people dreaming about how the promoter should spend his money on their idea of their dream weekly show. Look at the other thread on this subject and you will see why its unlikely that they will run both sprints and midgets weekly.
Dang John, aren't there enough people arguing about "dreamers"? Sorry, couldn't help it.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Pat O'Connor Fan, PIT CART, racefan20
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Promoter Coming to Gas City?