IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Schatz to the chili bowl
10/2/16, 11:38 PM   #1
Schatz to the chili bowl
flagboy55

Well by now I'm sure most of you have heard that Donnie Schatz is entered to run the chili bowl in January. While I respect Schatz, my feelings as a fan have been hot and cold on him, mostly cold. My cynical side says Donnie and his team have found a mechanical advantage that has provided his practical dominance of the world of outlaws, other times I think maybe he is really a better driver than the rest on most nights. One thing I always say is that even if he wins every winged race from now till eternity, he will never be any better than the 4th best sprint car driver of all time in my book, and maybe not even that high. My disclaimer to that logic is the 3 that would be above him have won big races with and without a wing. I don't know much about his early racing, but to my knowledge he's run very limited if any non wing cars. That's why I find it interesting he's signed up to run the CB this year for Clauson Marshall racing. You know it's going to be top shelf equipment. If Donnie Schatz can go to the chili bowl and make some noise Saturday night in the big show, it would definitely quiet my cynical side when it comes to one of the best wing racers of all time.

3 members like this post: dctracy79, GYATK94, spicoli
10/3/16, 12:10 AM   #2
Re: Schatz to the chili bowl
jim goerge

I think Schatz tried running a Silver crown car a number of years ago, and wasn't very successful at it. Didn"t run many races (I think 2) and never saw him at another race

2 members like this post: dctracy79, tirespinner
10/3/16, 1:11 AM   #3
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
I think Schatz tried running a Silver crown car a number of years ago, and wasn't very successful at it. Didn"t run many races (I think 2) and never saw him at another race
Schatz made four starts in the USAC Silver Crown Series in 2003 with a best finish of 11th at both Pikes Peak and Tulsa. Also ran Phoenix and IRP.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
10/3/16, 4:40 AM   #4
PIT CART

Don't he also run a dirt late model a couple times a year?

10/3/16, 8:08 AM   #5
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie View Post
Schatz made four starts in the USAC Silver Crown Series in 2003 with a best finish of 11th at both Pikes Peak and Tulsa. Also ran Phoenix and IRP.
If I remember correctly, he wrecked in the Hoosier 100 and said that's enough. Was making too nice a living in the WoO to take the risk. Good business decision.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, tirespinner
10/3/16, 8:16 AM   #6
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT CART View Post
Schatz is actually really good in a DLM considering he doesn't get a lot of seat time. He runs local shows, does double duty at the World Finals and typically runs the late model version of the Knoxville Nationals.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
10/3/16, 8:33 AM   #7
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT CART View Post
I think he ran some LM races in FL to start the year.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, PIT CART
10/3/16, 9:17 AM   #8
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

I'm definitely interested to see how this turns out. I'm a fan of his for a couple reasons. One, he always races clean. And two, mechanical advantage or not, I think it requires some talent to do what he has done at Knoxville. Going into this year he had won 9 out of the last 10 Nationals and nearly made it 10 out of 11, coming up a couple car lengths short. I believe it was 2013 when he came from the B to win it. That was an amazing drive. Year in and year out at the biggest winged sprint car race of the year he is nearly unbeatable. 100+ sprint cars there every year, and the same guy stands on top almost every time. I'm wishing him luck at the Chili Bowl.

5 members like this post: flagboy55, interpreter66, Jbaldwin, jim goerge, motorhead748
10/3/16, 9:20 AM   #9
TKRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Well by now I'm sure most of you have heard that Donnie Schatz is entered to run the chili bowl in January. While I respect Schatz, my feelings as a fan have been hot and cold on him, mostly cold. My cynical side says Donnie and his team have found a mechanical advantage that has provided his practical dominance of the world of outlaws, other times I think maybe he is really a better driver than the rest on most nights. One thing I always say is that even if he wins every winged race from now till eternity, he will never be any better than the 4th best sprint car driver of all time in my book, and maybe not even that high. My disclaimer to that logic is the 3 that would be above him have won big races with and without a wing. I don't know much about his early racing, but to my knowledge he's run very limited if any non wing cars. That's why I find it interesting he's signed up to run the CB this year for Clauson Marshall racing. You know it's going to be top shelf equipment. If Donnie Schatz can go to the chili bowl and make some noise Saturday night in the big show, it would definitely quiet my cynical side when it comes to one of the best wing racers of all time.
Their mechanical advantage is that Ricky Warner is one of the best in the business. You don't accomplish the things he's accomplished without talent.

10/3/16, 11:02 AM   #10
revjimk

The more the merrier! Lets see how he does....

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Schatz to the chili bowl