IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Four Crown at Eldora
9/4/13, 6:09 PM   #21
Re: Four Crown at Eldora
ossuks

Bashing the track prep at Eldora must be from people that have not been there since Roger Slack took over, in about 2 shows he fixed the problem and the track has been great ever since. And,as much as I hate to promote anything USAC is associated with the 4 Crown is a must see every year. Lets low ball the car count and say 16 midgets, 16 sc cars, and 30 sprints. That is still 6 good heats and 3 great features all in one night! You only get shows like this a couple of times a year....If they only ran features its still the best show for your money! I also enjoy my once a year WOO fix, there is something about the way they promote themselves that make me feel like I am at a special event.

2 members like this post: PIT CART, speed bump
9/4/13, 7:58 PM   #22
Tumey's 55

Leave it just the way it is. They just changed the format a few years ago to bring in the biggest drawing touring sprint car series and paired them with the modifieds. I know most on here hate wings but obviously they are a big draw. Wings are not my favorite either but I enjoy them once a year at Eldora, the speed is something to behold. The car count is down for the non-wing cars but is this a function of the 4-Crown event or just a symptom of today's racing environment? How many teams stay away because they do not feel they have a legitimate shot to win on this high horsepower track? The cars that are present are the best and put on a good show. Folks get too hung up on car count. One of the best midget races I have seen was a few years ago at Kokomo with I believe less than 15 midgets, the race where Taylor Ferns And DD raced wheel to wheel lap after lap. Anyway, this has become a tradition for 3 generations of race fans in my family and we look forward to it every year. Take away the sprints, midgets and silver crown on one night and you remove what makes this event special.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirt330, EPSpeed, PIT CART
9/4/13, 9:04 PM   #23
Sprintcarfanatic

Well Hell, I might just have to make it for Saturdays show.
OSSUKS, That is not the only time the place has had a problem with something track wise wether it be from not watering, The WOO running the bottom after the great dirt from Van Wert or extremely dusty in which the last Woo show I went to was & yes it was this year.
I still find it hard to do any travelling with the tracks I have as close as they are so I do support the LOCAL tracks, As a matter of fact I do so more than going to the All Stars or Woo any more.

9/5/13, 5:50 PM   #24
open_wheel_outlaw

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 9

Me and the wife are making the trip to 4 crown, which will be our only trip to Eldora this year, nothing against the track just a long drive versus our Indiana and Illinois bullrings we attend normally. Can't pass up the dirt track diversity that this event brings in getting to see everything that open wheel dirt racing has to offer in two nights. We're no question a bigger non-wing than wing fans, but like some others have said like to catch the Outlaws a couple of times a year and so far only crossed paths with them at Haubstadt. Like some others have said definitely kicking my self for missing the "Kyle Larson Show" last year so not missing this 4 Crown. Speaking of Larson anybody heard the rumor about him starting up a Outlaw team for Shane Stewart to drive? Sounds good to me!

2 members like this post: dirt330, PIT CART
9/5/13, 6:00 PM   #25
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by open_wheel_outlaw View Post
Me and the wife are making the trip to 4 crown, which will be our only trip to Eldora this year, nothing against the track just a long drive versus our Indiana and Illinois bullrings we attend normally. Can't pass up the dirt track diversity that this event brings in getting to see everything that open wheel dirt racing has to offer in two nights. We're no question a bigger non-wing than wing fans, but like some others have said like to catch the Outlaws a couple of times a year and so far only crossed paths with them at Haubstadt. Like some others have said definitely kicking my self for missing the "Kyle Larson Show" last year so not missing this 4 Crown. Speaking of Larson anybody heard the rumor about him starting up a Outlaw team for Shane Stewart to drive? Sounds good to me!
Larson should put Rico in his car. After all he drove their family car for awhile.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

2 members like this post: jim goerge, racenut69
9/6/13, 2:15 AM   #26
Flatrightrear

Maybe Rico has plenty of money and doesn't need the ride.

9/6/13, 6:53 AM   #27
Dyno Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumey's 55 View Post
Leave it just the way it is. They just changed the format a few years ago to bring in the biggest drawing touring sprint car series and paired them with the modifieds. I know most on here hate wings but obviously they are a big draw. Wings are not my favorite either but I enjoy them once a year at Eldora, the speed is something to behold. The car count is down for the non-wing cars but is this a function of the 4-Crown event or just a symptom of today's racing environment? How many teams stay away because they do not feel they have a legitimate shot to win on this high horsepower track? The cars that are present are the best and put on a good show. Folks get too hung up on car count. One of the best midget races I have seen was a few years ago at Kokomo with I believe less than 15 midgets, the race where Taylor Ferns And DD raced wheel to wheel lap after lap. Anyway, this has become a tradition for 3 generations of race fans in my family and we look forward to it every year. Take away the sprints, midgets and silver crown on one night and you remove what makes this event special.
I wish they would go bact to the original format. It was a three day show back then. Hot laps and qualies on Friday, heats & semis on Sat., 4 Features on Sunday afternoon. This made for a neat weekend.

9/6/13, 8:59 AM   #28
racen857

Race Count Last Year: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubs Peterson View Post
Great memories of the 4-crown: Hewitt's sweep, Larson's sweep, 7 am finish, Gordon's major slider from third to first through lapped cars in a midget, Hewitt's crash, Hewitt's spin and win in Silver Crown I could go on and on but I agree that something needs to be done to give this a shot in the arm. I say scrap the Midgets and Silver Crown and run a doubleheader both night's of the outlaws and USAC sprints. 4-crowns and then we may even see some guys who normally only run wings take their top off and vice versa. (I know racing ******** will never allow it to happen but it would be cool.)
Change of pace here but your idea is a good one. My dad and I both agree that during the Eastern storm that Port Royal should run both winged 410's and the usac. Usac being the top card and winged second on the list. The place would sell out. And so would Eldora if they did the same. Although you can't change the $ crown that much. So time for a new race "The 410 show down" pay an extra couple grand or more for someone who can win both.

PS if I see this race listed anywhere I want a cut. Atleast some free tickets.
Last edited by racen857; 9/6/13 at 9:01 AM.

1 member likes this post: UberKuhlMan
9/6/13, 9:53 AM   #29
UberKuhlMan

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by racen857 View Post
Change of pace here but your idea is a good one. My dad and I both agree that during the Eastern storm that Port Royal should run both winged 410's and the usac. Usac being the top card and winged second on the list. The place would sell out. And so would Eldora if they did the same. Although you can't change the $ crown that much. So time for a new race "The 410 show down" pay an extra couple grand or more for someone who can win both.

PS if I see this race listed anywhere I want a cut. Atleast some free tickets.
"The 410 Show Down" I like that. If the Outlaws and USAC can't get along, then run USAC/All Stars or WoO/BOSS or heck, you could run them both without sanction. Open tire rule, extra money for the people running both. And even more for the people who run both in the same car. That would be a thrill. Watching the crew thrash to get the parts changed out. Throw in a bonus if they sweep the features, like Tony did after Larson swept 2 years ago. I believe Tony threw in an extra $10,000.

1 member likes this post: EPSpeed
9/6/13, 12:30 PM   #30
racen857

Race Count Last Year: 20

No Outlaw or All star sanction where I come from those 2 groups ruin good races. No tire rule for sure. And lets go real crazy and go with NO time trails. Pill draw to start heats. Start 26 or 28 cars, (midgets started 27 @ Port Royal on labor day to skip a B main) and it was a great race. With eletronic timeing and scoring these days that is no problem. If you do run time trails invert the top 12 and make em race hard.

1 member likes this post: racenut69
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Four Crown at Eldora