IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lots of Nonwing Changes...
12/5/23, 7:42 PM   #21
RACrappieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
Some Winged racing in 2024.
I see. Thanks.

2 members like this post: Dirtfan, DirtTrackTherapy16J
12/6/23, 12:19 PM   #22
Re: Lots of Nonwing Changes...
Speedmax3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J View Post
I've been telling my brother that I look for Abacus Racing to build him a Sprint Car...they won the Midget Championship hands down, they were in on his Silver Crown Championship, I feel they will build him a Sprint Car. Logan is really comfortable and happy with that team. Again no facts supporting this, just my thoughts and opinions.
I believe Abacus has bought the sprint cars that Dennis Giles had for sell. DRC's with 1-Way engines.

2 members like this post: addictedtodirt, oppweld
12/8/23, 9:26 AM   #23

You know the 1 thing that sucks about all of these changes.... drivers lose their identity. Just as soon as you get used to driver x running car number x, it changes. This is 1 thing the wingers do much better than nonwing. Many of the big guys change teams or get bought out the driver keeps numbers.

1 member likes this post: Hustlin-Hoosier
12/9/23, 12:15 AM   #24
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
You know the 1 thing that sucks about all of these changes.... drivers lose their identity. Just as soon as you get used to driver x running car number x, it changes. This is 1 thing the wingers do much better than nonwing. Many of the big guys change teams or get bought out the driver keeps numbers.
Examples?

1 member likes this post: Dale
12/9/23, 8:15 AM   #25
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
I wouldn't say drivers lose their identity. Dave Darland was still DoubleD in the Baldwin 5 vs the 36D...Kyle Cummins is still going to be Kyle Cummins in his new ride...KTJ will still be KTJ in the 3R. Jake Swanson will still be Jake Swanson in the 2B...JG is still JG whether it's the 4, 2, or 91. Brady is still Brady whether its the 69 or 21, TMez is still TMez whether he's no longer with RMS or not...etc.

At a professional level, be it racing on dirt, short track, long track, asphalt, stock car, open wheel, Indy, or even football, baseball, basketball, hockey, you don't always retain the same number. In racing, a number is usually associated with the car owner/team especially if the driver doesnt own the car. That doesnt and definitely shouldn't cause a driver to lose their identity. If a fan loses their follow and identity for a driver then I'd say their not too big of a fan of that driver.

Midget Week 2020 me and my crew was at Gas City. Larson was in the 86 that night. A group of people in front of us was Larson this Larson that, all wearing Larson shirts, oh where's he at, we dont see him here, as Kyle wheel packs by on the front stretch. They eventually turn to the people beside them and ask where Larson is. They pointed, right there in that black, red, white 86...they looked like they seen a ghost...obviously they wasnt too big of fans of Kyle Larson or they would have known what car he was in. The 86 wasnt new to him. Kyle is undeniably one of the best drivers most people has ever seen,especially in this era. His number and/or team would never take away his identity and legacy.

Do I agree with you, yes it happens less in Wing racing and yes sometimes it does suck when people change teams, numbers, colors, etc. but they have to do what's best for them and their families and the teams/owners have to do what's best for them and their families. We as fans can choose to accept it and still appreciate them and support them or not to, but it changes nothing on their identity and/or legacy.
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 12/9/23 at 8:32 AM.

2 members like this post: erich45, racenut69
12/9/23, 9:37 AM   #26
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

By July Im usually on top of what driver is in what car in a foggy sort of way

12/9/23, 1:10 PM   #27
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Examples?
Another example of winged marketing delusion. The truth is wing guys switch numbers a lot too.

4 members like this post: captrat, cornerthree, erich45, oppweld
12/10/23, 6:08 PM   #28
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Axom going wings.
Hope CMR keeps a team out there Wingless. Always a threat.

2 members like this post: cmakin, oppweld
12/10/23, 6:14 PM   #29
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACrappieman View Post
Curious as to why KTJ is only running select races?
I read where he is headed to Rock Steady

12/11/23, 5:34 AM   #30
Kinser11

The King #11

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lots of Nonwing Changes...