IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute promoter explains Hut Hundred cancelation
8/14/09, 11:35 PM   #11
Re: Terre Haute promoter explains Hut Hundred cancelation
BrentTFunk

I take some responsibility for this race being canceled. I did not attend last year. If anything says it is not important to promoters it is people not showing up. My guess is I am not the only one on this board that didn't go.

8/14/09, 11:49 PM   #12
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I take some responsibility for this race being canceled. I did not attend last year. If anything says it is not important to promoters it is people not showing up. My guess is I am not the only one on this board that didn't go.
Put me in that group as well Brent. If memory serves me correctly, this show turned into a fiasco last year that took quite some time to complete. I believe that my butt was in a seat at Lawrenceburg that night enjoying racing. I will probably have to go to Spoon River this year to see midget racing. I am not sure that Terre Haute is back yet. The Hut 100 may just be a thing of the past.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

8/15/09, 12:27 AM   #13
DIRT-TRACK-JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
It's all your fault why did you do this to us Mr.Funk shame on you

8/15/09, 12:31 AM   #14
Hubie

I didn't go last year either, why?

The Action Track sucks anymore. Dust, dust and more dust. I have been going since 1978. I gave Davy Hamilton and his group time to fix the track, but it is still gets used up in hot laps and from then on it's hard to see the cars. If the wind is blowing into the grandstand, forget it.

Why can't they haul in some clay?

8/15/09, 1:36 AM   #15
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

shopping mall is looking better and better they are stil wandting thr land and track
Posted via Mobile Device

8/15/09, 3:09 AM   #16
SprintRacer4

Totally agree with Leaders Edge...

USAC has finally pissed enough people off that they don't want to go run with them. USAC caters to they're top dogs so much, nobody feels welcome or even wants to show up 'cause they are always getting the second hand. Terre Haute is a big, fast place & can be a motor eater but you could roll out of the trailer one night at a small 1/4 mile & pop a motor too. That's just part of racing, things are obviously harder now but if this was a co-sanction race with USAC I think you would get more cars.

I also think that more people would want to run & try to make the show because of the prestige if they were 40-45 cars. If it was a USAC, PowrI show & a "local" racer goes out & makes the field he will always be able to say he beat some of the best guys in the business from more then 1 organization to do it.

I don't think that you'll ever see huge car counts at the big prestige races that are held at big tracks again, or at least not for quite some time. But if a promoter could get a good 30-40 cars at those races it will be a good show for the fans. And part of that promoter's responsibility is also good track prep.

When Mitch Miller promoted the Belleville Nationals they were 60-80 cars almost every year, this year there were barely enough to fill the field. Some think it is because it's a USAC sanctioned race, some say it's the economy. Could be some of both, who knows. Though I will say, Saturday night's show was probably one of the best I've seen at Belleville in a long time.
Last edited by SprintRacer4; 8/15/09 at 3:21 AM.

8/15/09, 8:11 AM   #17
Dyno Don

Is it harder on a engine to run on dirt than on asphalt?
At ORP they had a good car count and PIR has good car counts.
Then they try to put Midgets at Anderson and no one show.
I do not get it.

8/15/09, 9:15 AM   #18
terrehautian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
I didn't go last year either, why?

The Action Track sucks anymore. Dust, dust and more dust. I have been going since 1978. I gave Davy Hamilton and his group time to fix the track, but it is still gets used up in hot laps and from then on it's hard to see the cars. If the wind is blowing into the grandstand, forget it.

Why can't they haul in some clay?
It is a dirt track, there will always be dust on that big of a track, I believe. This year the dust has been very minimal. I was at most of the races last year and the dust was much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallsracing View Post
shopping mall is looking better and better they are stil wandting thr land and track
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think we have to worry about the mall. I was in it yesterday and there was one wing of the mall that was completely empty along with a store in each of the other wing being empty.

8/15/09, 9:28 AM   #19
tonyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar62 View Post
I will tell you how to get midget racing back the way it should be go back to the volkswagen engines then you will have 30 to 40 cars.
DING-DING-DING...We have a winner! USAC midget racing has become the true Formula 1 of dirt track racing. You're expected spend $10k + per cylinder to be truly competitve, & you better have a spare just in case, all for a whopping $2500 to win. And people have to ponder what has happened to midget racing?

Don Moore is repeatedly hammered on here for questioning the sanity of the current product, while his detractors are happy with the current status of the sport that has been declining steadily....pull your head out of the sand!

8/15/09, 10:38 AM   #20
GregD

[QUOTE=terrehautian;127601]It is a dirt track, there will always be dust on that big of a track, I believe.

I'm sorry but I can't agree that just because that Terre Haute is a big half mile that you should expect dust. I will say that it takes alot more time and water to get the bigger tracks ready. Have you ever been to DuQuoin? No dust and a very big track, it can be done.

Let me say that I have been going to race for over 50 years and Terre Haute has always been my favorite. I was so happy when this new group took over. That first sprint car race of '08 was one of the best. But then we had the Silver Crown dust bowl and the Hut mess and I have just given up. I will just remember T.H.A.T. as the grand ole lady not the mess she is now.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute promoter explains Hut Hundred cancelation